PDA

View Full Version : petrol filling problem

jamie gsi16v
03-01-06, 10:43 AM
not had my new gsi long but have noticed wen i put petrol in it takes ages, keeps filling up the neck and clicking the nozel off, it nearly takes 3 mins to put a tenner in? im guessing its not breathing so how do i fix this? cheers j

womble sri
03-01-06, 02:03 PM
my sri used to do the same there is a breather pipe for the tank behind the drivers arch, mine was quite obvious but you may have to look, and it just gets caked in shit off the road so clean it out

dunova
03-01-06, 07:50 PM
Try not putting the petrol pump fully in the filler. There's a sensor on the pump that cuts the fuel if it gets triggered-if you hold the pump slightly further out there'll be more air getting to the sensor so shouldn't shut off as much.

Adam
03-01-06, 08:23 PM
Try not putting the petrol pump fully in the filler. There's a sensor on the pump that cuts the fuel if it gets triggered-if you hold the pump slightly further out there'll be more air getting to the sensor so shouldn't shut off as much.
Ahhh, is that what that Clunk noise is?
I get that sometimes, when getting to about 10litres the pump goes Clunk and i have to press the trigger again to start it pumping.

I've always wondered why that was,lol.

dunova
03-01-06, 08:28 PM
Yep, it's there so that you cant overfill your tank when you're filling up. It switch's off when the petrol fumes reach a certain level and switch's the pump off :wink:

Mark Beeson
04-01-06, 12:24 AM
It happens to me all the time.Some pumps are more sensitive than others. Pull the nozzle out half way! Sorted

jamie gsi16v
04-01-06, 12:38 AM
not sorted, its my car, every pumps the same wether in or half out, think its that breather pipe, not sure?

Mark Beeson
04-01-06, 01:07 AM
Strange one then hmm

Donova
04-01-06, 04:32 PM
Are you sure there,s nothing in the filler pipe, like an anti-syphon device or something,? they can cause real grief sometimes. :roll:

jamie gsi16v
04-01-06, 05:47 PM
yeh i think there is some sort of plastic ball in the hole to the tank? carnt see how it can cause a problem though?

Adam
04-01-06, 06:30 PM
yeh i think there is some sort of plastic ball in the hole to the tank? carnt see how it can cause a problem though?
Hmm, maybe its broke off, got jammed in the filler neck, and obstructing the flow of fuel?