PDA

View Full Version : aarrrghh Ignition timimg

mikey14sr
31-12-05, 03:07 PM
FPMON!, just put a piper bp285 into the 1300. the timing was the usual half tooth out before, and is again now. trouble is I'm having to run about 20-25 degrees BTDC just to get it to idle, feels very slugish too. It will run at 10 degrees, but only above 2000rpm and is a bitch to start.
Any ideas where I've gone wrong guys? or does it just need the fueling adjusting?

mikey14sr
31-12-05, 06:51 PM
the cam is half a tooth towards the bulkhead if that help diagnosis?

Jon_nova1
01-01-06, 10:30 AM
get the timing sorted, if its half a tooth out its wrong, thats why your cars being crap, I assume you've got adjustable pulleys? set the pulleys at 0 and adjust the pulleys as if they were standard ones...as in not touching the adjuster

mikey14sr
17-01-06, 07:41 PM
Took the bitch to get tuned up this morning :lol: , the first run on the rollers revealed I had a measly 41bhp at the wheels :cry: , and the sound of detonation was extremely unpleasant!!
It turns out that the cam is only a couple of degrees out, and as I don't have a vernier pulley we decided to leave it alone untill I've got the dellorto's on.
It was running stupidly lean aswell, even with a standard air filter and what was supposedly 1.4 jetting :?: . A bit of jet drilling and butchering of the air box and she just crested 80 brake at the wheels, not bad for a standard 1.3 with a 32/34 and a cam designed for 40's!!!!!!!

On the road it feels a lot better too, the pull from 3k in third is a very welcome result, as was the insight into a few 'tricks', lets just say I might have to make my own special manifold in order to go multi-carb :wink: