PDA

View Full Version : 3 cylinders firing? :(

PE4
29-12-05, 02:30 PM
Hi guys.

My GTE is poorly :( Sounds like it is firing on three cylinders, but I have changed all the plugs and the leads with no change. Could one of the injectors, or the wiring at the injector plug be the culprit?

Any help greatly appreciated

Steve

Tazzy
29-12-05, 04:27 PM
could be one of your hydraulics?

dunova
29-12-05, 04:33 PM
One of your hydraulics?? :?

PE4-any idea what cylinder's not firing properly? Have you done a compression test? Are all 4 plugs wet with fuel and sparking equally?

When did it start doing it? Any other symptoms?

PE4
29-12-05, 06:20 PM
I don't know which one is not firing. All four have a good spark as far as I know, not sure about fuel on each one - could it be a blocked injector?. It started a while ago, but it was not constant, it only seemed an issue when I tried to floor it, but it gradually got worse untill the point that it is now constant.

Steve

PE4
30-12-05, 01:41 AM
Anyone?

F188CHG
30-12-05, 11:15 AM
Same happened to my SR,sounded like a rally car! now for the bad news it was the piston ring on the 4th cylinder :cry:

ade
31-12-05, 01:14 AM
start with the basics

1. check dizzy cap for cracks, water penetration (especially this time of year)
2. check dizzy inside for tracking
2. check rotor arm and contacts on dizzy
3. check HT leads are working (place the one you tink is misfiring against the engine block - if it sparks its okay) and are conntected properly
4. check spark plugs - swap them round
5. check theres no gunge on oil cap or in water expansion - if there is possible headgasket
6. check oil and water levels
7. get compression test done at local garage (make it a reputable one)

Ade