PDA

View Full Version : Brake Conversion

Tazzy
29-12-05, 01:19 PM
want to put the 16V ATE (256mm i think) brakes on the project, what am i going to need, how am i going to do it?

cheerz!

how long has it taken everyone who has done the conversion and how much am i looking at to do it?

cheerz!

PE4
29-12-05, 06:26 PM
I have the ATE's on my GTE and it was the same as replacing with standard brakes, I just followed the haynes bible and it was okay. You may need to bash the guard, if you have one fitted, to accommodate the larger disk.

hth

Steve

ps. I spent a whole afternoon on it because I was in no hurry, but it could prob be done in a few hours by an experienced person.

alistairolsen
29-12-05, 09:50 PM
an hour a side. A pair of calipers is about 20-3 quid and disk and pads are a further 30 new. The difference is well worthwhile. If you do have a guard fitted, dont just bash it, remove it, or it will piss you off for ever and ever!

Tazzy
29-12-05, 11:55 PM
well i want to put i set on my corsa sri and a set on my nova sr project, what other cars did they come on? just the astra gte and cavalier gsi?

is there a step by step (with diagrams) i can follow?

cheerz!

_JH_
30-12-05, 12:04 AM
just about all 2.0 cavaliers had the 256x24mm brakes.

they are available from scrappies and ebay easily

lee 16v
30-12-05, 01:17 AM
well i want to put i set on my corsa sri and a set on my nova sr project, what other cars did they come on? just the astra gte and cavalier gsi?

is there a step by step (with diagrams) i can follow?

cheerz!

you dont need a step by step just unbolt them stick the new 1s on bleed them up and off you go there a cheap easy mod that will make al the dif

lj
30-12-05, 04:36 PM
i'm about to put vectra gsi brakes on mine and it looks like its a simple task, got calipers and the disc's from a mate, and yes the disc's have a four stud pattern done by a freindly engineer, just waiting for goodridge hose's to come then gonna throw them on...should fit in nicely behind the 15;s!

anyone done the rear disc conversion?

ade
31-12-05, 01:16 AM
if your cars less than a gsi/gte you'll need bigger servo/master cylinder (ie off gsi/gte)

Also - your alloys will need to be at least 15's otherwise calipers will catch on the inner rims.

:roll:

Austin_Nova16
31-12-05, 12:12 PM
if your cars less than a gsi/gte you'll need bigger servo/master cylinder (ie off gsi/gte)

Also - your alloys will need to be at least 15's otherwise calipers will catch on the inner rims.

You don't need to use a gsi/gte servo/master cylinder. It may be slightly better, but not essential.
Also you can fit them behind 14's. I run 14" alloys on my 16v nova...[/i]

novatek
31-12-05, 02:47 PM
iv dun a few brake conversions
best thing 2 do is 2 change the disc first, i would cut the dust guard off u dont need it :lol:
then bolt on the new calipers, connect up the brake lines
then just bleed them with new brake fluid

usually takes an afternoon
HAVE FUN :wink:

Tazzy
02-01-06, 01:59 PM
as im going to do an engine conversion to both the corsa and the project sr, im looking for 2x donor cars with the engines i want!

so as im after a 1.6 8v mpi astra for the engine, shall i use the servo/mster cylinder from that?

Adam
02-01-06, 02:38 PM
AFAIK the astra servo WONT fit a nova.
Its different.

Get one off a nova gsi/gte/sri if you want to upgrade it.
Most people dont bother tho.

Will
02-01-06, 03:02 PM
this guide might help: http://www.topbuzz1.carenthusiasts.co.uk/mods/brakes16v/brakes16v.htm

skud52
02-01-06, 04:52 PM
you might struggle undoing the 3 phillips screws holding the shit guard on so either cut it off with some side cutters or just bash it out of the way.

if you leave the screws in it will be ok and wont rattle

Tazzy
04-01-06, 01:37 PM
so i dont have a guard at all on the conversion?

loggyboy
04-01-06, 02:58 PM
so i dont have a guard at all on the conversion?

You can, but u need to bed it out of the way of the bigger discs - , but theyre pretty pointless anyway, so mite as well loose them.

its mainly been said above but to confirm:

The conversion is simple, bolt off bolt on and bleed.
Wheel wise 99% of 14 inch rims will fit over the calipers, unfortunately, nova sr/gte alloys fit in to the 1% that dont fit.

craig green
04-01-06, 03:05 PM
If you want the guard you can use the ones from Astra GSi. need to file a little bit off to clear a bolt on th back of the Nova hub. Look nice powder coated in a contrasting colour behind the disc.

Ive got Vectra V6 shields in blue behind my discs, as per the rear discs.

Tazzy
04-01-06, 03:49 PM
na, thats sound, they will be under 15s anyway, hopefully 16s on the SR, dont really want the gaurds, just want to make sure i dont need it!

cheerz!

diablo007
04-01-06, 09:36 PM
im having problems getting the brakes to work on my car, its a 1.3sr with a pedal box, combo front discs and calipers, and braded front hoses goin straigt to the pedal box. ive tried it with a normal servo but still no good i have a hard pedal but no stopping power and ideas on what could be wrong?? thanks lads

aswrally
04-01-06, 10:15 PM
either your callipers are siezed or you havent set your peddle box up correctly do you still have some free play between the push rods and cylinders???

loggyboy
04-01-06, 11:53 PM
im having problems getting the brakes to work on my car, its a 1.3sr with a pedal box, combo front discs and calipers, and braded front hoses goin straigt to the pedal box. ive tried it with a normal servo but still no good i have a hard pedal but no stopping power and ideas on what could be wrong?? thanks lads

are the calipers the right way round? ive heard of similar problems being caused when they are.
(the bleed nipples be near the top)

Adam
05-01-06, 12:12 AM
Ye, as Loggy said, if the calipers are on upside down(with the bleed nipple pointing downwards) then the system will never bleed, and the brakes wont work right.

The bleed nipple should point up.

Ste L
05-01-06, 12:21 AM
that remindes me, gotta fit mine this weekend :lol:

Adam
05-01-06, 12:54 AM
that remindes me, gotta fit mine this weekend :lol:
Me too,lol.

Jim
05-01-06, 08:58 PM
I just fitted some lovely V6 Brakes :)

It's fairly straight forward when doing the conversion to the ATE brake setup. Remember to clamp the brake line (provided it's not a braided line) before hand, otherwise you will have brake fluid dribbling all over the place.

Jim

diablo007
05-01-06, 10:04 PM
sorted!!!!!

Tazzy
06-01-06, 07:44 PM
i would love to have the V6 set up, arent they 280 summit mm? how do i change the servo/master cylinder?

cheerz!

Lee
07-01-06, 11:43 AM
I recommend a set of braided hoses as well if your going down there to change the callipers anyway! They do make a difference! I'm picking up a set of new discs for mine from Courtenay, theyre actually grooved by them to give a much deeper groove to aid cooling and the removal of crap as opposed to the shite shallow grooves you get on off the shelf items.

I was going to upgrade to V6 brakes, but hell i dont use the brake pedal much anyway lol

And i have a set of 2.0 ATE callipers if you want to make me an offer.

Tazzy
07-01-06, 05:03 PM
braided hoses? what effect do they have? how much are they and where can i get them from?

cheerz!

diablo007
07-01-06, 05:51 PM
the braided hoses dont swell under braking, meaning that the caliper can apply more preassure to the disc.