PDA

View Full Version : engines

lj
29-12-05, 01:01 PM
whats the best for normal driving....in which i mean around town, fast driving on dual carrageways and maybe odd track days?

1.3 1.4 1.6 1.8 0r 2lt 16v

engines gone in my nova and want something fun with out spending silly money, got carbs and wondering what lump to put them on.

anyone help on this?

Dan
29-12-05, 01:10 PM
i dont recall seeing an age for you, so i presume your old enough not to worry about engine size and modifications when it comes to insurance (yes i know its cropped up again but people just dont check these things) or have enough money not to worry lol.

As already said in one of the other threads, for cheap simple power the 2.0 XE engine is best if your prepared to do all the work yourself, but then allow for some decent suspension etc to get the most from it. After that its down to the small block engines with carbs etc. You dont need amazing power to have some fun and have a quick car. But then i'm biased towards the smallblock lol.

Jon_nova1
29-12-05, 01:12 PM
I reckon a small block :d

Tazzy
29-12-05, 01:26 PM
if you wana got for down right speed, the 2.0 jobbie is obviously a good choice, but as Dan says, susupension, itll handle like a kwik save shopping trolley!

i love the small blocks as well, id prefer 1.6 block with 160bhp than a 2.0 with 130bhp any day!

lj
29-12-05, 01:30 PM
na mate i'm 25 so insurance isn't an issue, also drive a cav gsi and got the nova for a run about while the cavs rebuilt after someone mashed the custom kit i had made for it 3 weeks before, the nova's been slammed and caged, want it for fun, the cavs nice for long trips and karting mates, girlfriend about etc etc....the novas got a 1.3 in which rattles due to the bottom end going, can't decide weather to put another 1.3 in with the carbs or 1.4 or 1.6.... wanna simple easy task as its cold and my drive is open to the wind etc etc... so the less time under it the better, i liked the response of the 1.3( maybe had work done to the head not sure) but didn't like the fact it gave up around 100... not that thats really a problem on normal roads but i often run cars at goodwood and the cav wast the last, wrecked tyres and drive shafts and can't be doing with replacing them in a nova so wanna steer clear of the 2lt conversion... so ppls help me...either 1.3 on carbs or 1.4 /1.6 whats the better platform to work from? from what i've read on here and other places the 1.6 engine is better off being injection ? correct or not?

Jon_nova1
29-12-05, 01:36 PM
a 1.4 carb, if you get a 1.6 youll need to change everything over, im sure with a 1.4 its just a case of bolting the new bottom end on, thats what i did with my 1.2 anyway :?

and i imagine a kwiksave trolley would handle pretty bad, especially as ours has just been made somerfield, i guess the trolley's are rusting away all alone :cry:

But i did get a somerfield savercard :d

Dan
29-12-05, 01:53 PM
well in brief terms a 1.6 on carbs with a head/cam can pull on a basic valver (air filter/zorst) upto just over 100mph if its built properly and show a clean pair of heels so obv on track you have the advantage already with a touch of extra gogo. (click on the link in sig to have a gander at mine as a rough idea)

With the 2.0 you wouldnt have to do very much at all, and any wasted money on the 1.6 option would go towards a decent setup of susp etc and bring it back equal ish.

End of the day its horses for courses, but always remember, a diff is mans best friend and will make more difference than any power gain :wink:

lj
29-12-05, 03:10 PM
either 1.4 or 1.6 then... are they the same gearboxes......?

Tazzy
29-12-05, 04:23 PM
spose it depends were you get the lump from, f13wr or f13cr

Adam
29-12-05, 04:28 PM
Use a 1.6.
To make a good engine, start with a goodish engine in the first place :wink:
1.6 on t40s
Nice cam,headwork etc.

Should make 130+bhp.

lj
29-12-05, 04:44 PM
if was to put in a 1600 would i need the drive shafts and hubs or just the drive shafts box and engine?

lee 16v
29-12-05, 05:03 PM
i would say you will get bored of a 1.6 i did and you are driving a cav gsi the power loss will be lots. i think the sri with multi point is faster it is 1/4 mile any way. if your going for a small block go for the 1.4 sri mine still done 131 on the clock and a new civic type R said the same. and if you live anywhere near the cambride area you can have my old one for free.
it dose run.

lj
29-12-05, 05:15 PM
in sussex dude. whats wrong with it and aren't all the 1/4 injection?

dunova
29-12-05, 05:38 PM
i would say you will get bored of a 1.6 i did and you are driving a cav gsi the power loss will be lots. i think the sri with multi point is faster it is 1/4 mile any way. if your going for a small block go for the 1.4 sri mine still done 131 on the clock and a new civic type R said the same. and if you live anywhere near the cambride area you can have my old one for free.
it dose run.
And why would a 1.6 mpi 100bhp engine not be as quick as a 1.4 mpi 82bhp engine, both on an F13CR gearbox?? And 131 mph? Probably nearer to the 110 mph mark, taking into account speedo inaccuracey (which is at it's worst over 75 mph) :roll:

Dan
29-12-05, 05:46 PM
dunova is right about them sharing the f13cr box, but the 1.4's ran the 3.94 cwp instead of the 3.74 as found in the gte gsi box. As for your speedo lee, he is right the accuracy of our speedo's is beyond a joke, eventually i ran a spa digital speedo which was spot on once we had calibrated it and it was an eye opener to the 'real' speed and what the speedo said not 12 hrs before :lol:

lee 16v
29-12-05, 06:09 PM
my sri was faster than my gte!

there is 2 sri there is a multi point and a single point.

i was at santerpod and a boy with a white sri pulled up we got talking he said it as well that his sri was faster than a gsi he run with i also raced a gsi on the road and i beat him on the roundabout and we where about the same off it till he give up we pulled over a he couldnt believe it was a 1.4.

Jon_nova1
29-12-05, 06:38 PM
I got an asdtra digidash, so i'd assume it'd be right all the time, made 99MPH in a 1.2 :loL:

and don't race on the road silly :roll:

dunova
29-12-05, 07:21 PM
my sri was faster than my gte!

there is 2 sri there is a multi point and a single point.

i was at santerpod and a boy with a white sri pulled up we got talking he said it as well that his sri was faster than a gsi he run with i also raced a gsi on the road and i beat him on the roundabout and we where about the same off it till he give up we pulled over a he couldnt believe it was a 1.4.
A true 'sri' has a 1.4 (c14se) multi point injection engine ran on a dis pac. A single point injection was never made-I would imagine the only 'single point injection' sri you've seen is actually an sr, which is ran on a carburettor.

The sri's are quick, but definately not as quick as a (properly setup) gte/gsi. The gte (and some gsi's) e16se engine is not as efficient as the c14se (sri) and c16se (later gsi) because it's run on a dizzy and doesn't have as superior engine management as the later engines.

I could imagine that an sri could be quicker than a gte/gsi if the engine isn't setup very well, but if you took those 2 cars brand new straight from the factory, the gte/gsi would be noticeably quicker (especially once into 3rd gear and above).

Dan, good point about the gearbox, forgot about that and it does contribute to the sri's having a better chance when up against a gte/gsi.

lee 16v
29-12-05, 07:42 PM
[

A true 'sri' has a 1.4 (c14se) multi point injection engine ran on a dis pac. A single point injection was never made-I would imagine the only 'single point injection' sri you've seen is actually an sr, which is ran on a carburettor.

i no the dif in a sr and a sri iv had alot of them.
iv had a gsi,gte,sri and 4 sr's and the sri was the best and had more go than all of them i wish it was still in the car and i would prove it to you.
i might try and put it back in the old nova it come out of or my gte then i prove it if its not faster it will be near as you will be suprised.
i will see what i can do lol

Give it some rev
29-12-05, 07:45 PM
131mph lmfao a GTE/GSI only does 118mph
a couple of people on here have said that their SRI's are faster than GTE's, well take into consideration that when these cars were new the were popular with boy racers, what i saying is most GTE's haved lived and still are living on the red line and bear in mind that these engines are 10 + year old.

got 2 admit tho, 1.4 mpi engines are streets ahead of a 1.4 SR Nova.

chris

Stuart
30-12-05, 08:51 AM
1.6 on carbs is cheap fun... then again so is a 20 xe.

the key is suspension/tyres/diff on both/all well prepared novas.
oh and the gearbox is a bit of a key too.

craig green
30-12-05, 09:46 AM
I'd build a 1.6 on carbs myself or even injection with a 4 branch manifold etc...

As for gearboxes the GTE & GSi had different final drive ratios. The GTE ended up with slightly longer gearing than the later GSi derivative.

In my experience the 1.4 engines will pull equally with a 1.6 up until the end of 4th gear, when a 1.6 reaches 5th then you can literally wave goodbye to the 1.4. I think the extra torque of the 1.6 helps it pull the highest gear much more effectively.

Jon_nova1
30-12-05, 10:05 AM
but by the time your in fifth you can be doing a decent speed anyway, i've had 100MPH off a 1.2 in fourth before 5500RPM which is the highest torque :|

dunova
30-12-05, 12:03 PM
Ok well everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but i prefer to rely on fact, e.g. 100bhp VS 82bhp in a car of the same weight (albeit the sri having a higher FD).

Also, when i had my gsi (which was running on 17's) and my brother had his sri (running on 14" gsi wheels), we had a little 'drag' race off of the lights once side by side (two lanes). Even though i wheel span abit through first gear i was still ahead of him and pulling away from him all the way and my gsi at the time was a poorly setup e16se. So that's one of my experiences of an sri vs a gsi.

lj
30-12-05, 04:23 PM
got a 1.4 coming i think... gonna put my carbs on and leave it like that

the lad i got my nova from is a good mate and he claims to have had my 1.3 off the clock....god no's how.... think its shit myself

Ste L
30-12-05, 05:32 PM

thats not true, an sri usually comes with a dissy not dis pac, i've owned 2 mates had one, and i know a few people who have had then, and not one has had a dispac...

only the very very very late sri had them, last few months of preduction, iirc

dunova
30-12-05, 09:27 PM
Funny you should say that, i saw an sri on a dizzy yesterday and was puzzled by it beause it's the first i've ever seen on a dizzy lol

So, do the sri's that are ran on a dizzy not have a lambda sensor+cat aswell? Do they have different management?

Ste L
30-12-05, 09:41 PM
same management and everything, just got a coil, and not a dispac...

my old one has lambda sensor, and did have a cat, but that got chucked in the bin soon after i got it

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/Ste_SRi/Nova%20SRi/DSCI0032.jpg