PDA

View Full Version : more grip on front tires or rears ?

orange_andy
28-12-05, 09:44 AM
got a daft question, my back 2 tires seem to be basically brand new, front 2 are alot more worn, with all this snow am i better to have them swapped over or leave more grip at the back? its a nova sr so just plain front disc brakes. cheers

Stuart
28-12-05, 09:52 AM
renew the front tyres.

and not with something like proxies or F1's you need an all year round pattern lol

orange_andy
28-12-05, 10:14 AM
aint got the cash at the mo, i got 4 avons they are good pattern, front 2 are either JUST above or just below legal limit, so was just wondering if any point swapping em over,

Stuart
28-12-05, 10:15 AM
how much snow do you have? lol

leave the slicks on the front and just drive carefully (as you would in snow anyway)

orange_andy
28-12-05, 10:32 AM
YES SIR !!!!!

nah i do drive carefull i spose, i need to mvoe me car live on a turn 90o corner :( cant park in me drive as my bros car is there, im gonna have to park half way up the street id say there is 70% chance of a car plowing into me car while i sleep and theyl just drive off ! !

Jack
28-12-05, 01:51 PM
A mate of mine with a GTi6 reckons its better to put the new tyres on the rear, and apparently even his local tyre fitter told him that.

My reply was something along the lines of "stfu" lol

SRimon
28-12-05, 03:06 PM
keep good condition tyres all round...

My rear tyres are still looking new...about 12000 miles on!

Adam
28-12-05, 07:08 PM
Yea, i was told put the best grip/new tyres on the rear.
Then swap them to front when the fronts need replacing.

Jack
28-12-05, 08:56 PM
Surely on a FWD car though you want more grip on the front? As thats the wheels that are doing all the work?

I know in mine I would rather have the rear slide out than the front... IMO if the front loses traction you head straight off the corner head first into wall/ditch/other car lol

Stuart
29-12-05, 07:55 AM
you ideally want best grip at the end that does the driving work...

the omega got "good" tyres on the back and any old rubbish on the front.
and my old nova had good tyres on the front and remoulds on the back lol

Ste_Nova
29-12-05, 08:49 AM
new ones on the rear...

then move them to the front when the fronts are worn and fit new ones on the back again

you allways want more grip at the back

i can steer, brake and accelerate the front... cant do that with the back if i loose it

Jack
29-12-05, 12:38 PM
i can steer, brake and accelerate the front... cant do that with the back if i loose it
Yeah but if you loose grip on the front you've lost the control wheels? If you lose grip on the back you've still got control of the wheels that steer, power, brake etc...

SuperNova!
30-12-05, 11:13 PM
Understeer is easier to control than oversteer.

Best tyres on the rear, good tyres on the front.

Ste_Nova
01-01-06, 11:10 AM
Yeah but if you loose grip on the front you've lost the control wheels? If you lose grip on the back you've still got control of the wheels that steer, power, brake etc...

yes but you can get control back by adjusting steering and power/brakes...... can't get the back back that easily

autox
02-01-06, 12:46 AM
I am a big fan of grip on the front, i.e new tyres on the front.

In the snow we just had i had P6000 on my astra SXi which were bare minimum and were really crap in the snow understeering all over the place and lost a hell of a lot of contol over the car. I went out and got some Dunlop SP 01's on the front. Gave me a lot more grip on the front and left p6000's on the back. Now i can drive a lot better in the snow with the additional grip and the back end can still slides about, coming off a roundabout, my back end kicks out, i correct it no problem, before when my front end kicks out, there you have problems. For me persoanlly in a FWD car i want all my grip at the front, the back wheels will follow the front.... If they dont slight correction will sort things out, in understeer you have a lot more problems.

Its the same when i'm racing (nova in autocross) I will change the front tyres for maximum traction, grip etc. The back i leave, in most cases i prefer the back to slide. In a RWD it will probablys be different i dont know, but for me, i will always put the newest, best & grippiest on the front.... sorry just my 2p worth.

Ste_Nova
04-01-06, 09:00 AM
mud and snow is the only time i run more grip at the front

loggyboy
04-01-06, 12:11 PM
Copper stoppewd me a few weeks back and told me to put new tyres on the rear.
I understand the pros of that, however accidents mainly happen when u cant stop in time.

Id argue that not only is it easier to control a rear end slide than it is to cadance brake or control front end slide, but its more likely that having good front end grip would save/aid you in an emergency situation.

the argument for having new ones fitted to the rear maybe stronger if its RWD or 4WD car. but only sightly. Braking and steering is still done at front, and theyre two most important fucntions performed by the tyres

I will always have my best tyres at the front.

years ago i even used to balance them with the best tyre being on the front N/S and worst being on the Rear N/s - so i could induce lift off more :lol: