PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 with nos??

JAMIEP
28-12-05, 01:50 AM
Just something i was thinkin of.....instead of putting in a redtop etc. Anyone got a 1600 8 or 16v and fitted nitrous to it?? Any good? Just wondering because a nitrous kit these days is about the same as a conversion kit........

Jack
28-12-05, 02:48 AM
Bear in mind I think its illegal to use on the road, or even have fully connected (you can have it installed, just leave one tube disconnected lol)

Shouldn't you really have a "compressed gas" hazard sticker as well?!

leebo
28-12-05, 02:54 AM
from stuff i was lookin at before i think your prity much 100% rite, sure someone will know the full story better.

lee

Stuart
28-12-05, 09:39 AM
try looking/asking on the wizzards of nos forum.

they have pleanty of know how

Jon_nova1
28-12-05, 10:49 AM
Think you have to have a green circle on your car for the code :lol:

I was thinking of it not being street legal, so if its not street legal and you tell your insurance company, why does your insurance go up?

Jack
28-12-05, 01:44 PM
I was thinking of it not being street legal, so if its not street legal and you tell your insurance company, why does your insurance go up?
Because you've got a compressed gas cylinder in your car, if someone shunts you in the right place or you have an accident there's a chance it could explode. And of course insurance companies aren't stupid and know you'll probably use it :p

[edit]Thats the badger:
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/images/sign227.gif
...although looking into it, some places say you only need that if you're carrying the susbstance in bulk...

bump
28-12-05, 01:54 PM
...although looking into it, some places say you only need that if you're carrying the susbstance in bulk...

i know that its legal to not have a sticker and 6 dive cylanders in the boot, as its classed as personal use. IIRC that also applies to CO2, so probably anything much more than that and you would need a sticker

JAMIEP
28-12-05, 07:18 PM
I dunno? there was a write up in max power saying it was legal only if u dont use it lol......ye rite.......but i wudnt tell insurance about putting a redtop in either lol....enyways any1 no if nitrous is any good and whats it like on a 1.6?? cheers

Jack
28-12-05, 09:03 PM
but i wudnt tell insurance about putting a redtop in either lol....
http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgibin/phpbb2/images/smiles/ban.gif

FlatBeatBoy
28-12-05, 09:11 PM
I dunno? there was a write up in max power saying it was legal only if u dont use it lol......ye rite.......but i wudnt tell insurance about putting a redtop in either lol....enyways any1 no if nitrous is any good and whats it like on a 1.6?? cheers

your a complete c.ock then, Hope you crash and burn to death

thanks

JAMIEP
28-12-05, 11:25 PM
rite o then pal, who u reckons gonna insure a 19yr old wiv a kitted redtopd nova???? didnt think so mate.........

Dan
28-12-05, 11:39 PM
there are plenty who would insure a car of such and at that age, IF the owner could afford it, if not then it should be kept affordable and stick to what you can afford.

Power comes at a cost until you are old enough in their eyes, if ya dont like it then dont do it and buy a pushbike, simple, its a damn sight safer than driving an effectively uninsured car

(christ the next thread will be about fuel costs from someone with a highly modded engine, ohhhh the irony of these posts :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

JAMIEP
28-12-05, 11:59 PM
TOTALLY AGREE WITH U MATE JUST THE THREAD I STARTED WAS ABOUT IF NITROUS IS ANY GOOD ON 1600 ENGINES LOL AND PPL ARE KICKING OFF ABOUT INSURANCE N STUFF LOL

Dan
29-12-05, 12:04 AM
psssst take your caps lock off :wink: . Any engine will accept nitrous, but doing tsome basic groundwork to certain components and using the right plugs etc would be prefereable. Stuart gave the best reply possible for a real good indepth lowdown on the stuff. but for a basic reply yes they accept it and its as good as you prepare for it like any other form of tuning :D 8)

Jon_nova1
29-12-05, 09:43 AM
why would you drive with a redtop without telling insurance??

I can't afford to insure a redtop, im 20 and i've got plans for my 1.2 engine and a 1.4 engine, keeping on a budget it won't be that far of the 1.6 :lol:

there no point in getting a redtop at 19, we've all been 19 and the majority of us will admit if we had a redtop at 19 we would have smashed our cars up :roll:

orange_andy
29-12-05, 09:59 AM
im 19, wouldnt dream of getting a red top not declared, you might aswell write your own ticket to prison, as if you wouldnt get pulled, or wouldnt die ! ! ! ! !

if i got it insured, i wouldnt go to jail for killing someone with no insurance, but i would probably end up killing me self no matter what i rekon,

as for a 1.6 with nos, whats the point in that,

you got a car with what 105bhp ?? tell people oh 135with nos? or what ever, whats the point in that, you only get that speed at the press of a button, and cost, i know a few people who have used nos, and say it messes up the cars engine, companies dont really use it, if it was that good then wouldnt everyone be using it ,

Stuart
29-12-05, 10:05 AM
lmao youve been drawn in by the myths ;)

Yes you can kill an engine with nos, but thats generally when youve got the setup wrong OR piled in WAY too much.

as said look on the wizards of nos forum, they have all the answers...

Jon_nova1
29-12-05, 10:18 AM
it doesn't break your engine if its used right, the reason most companie don't use it is because its not allowed in most motorsports, i think drag is one of the only ones

JAMIEP
30-12-05, 01:54 AM
kk cheers guys.......but u havent gotta drive fast everywhere av u so i dunno bout the killing myself bit lol but i wos thinkin the same thing! Jus a thought on summin different cos of the cost of putting a redtop in and then the fuel etc......plus u can get 50-75bhp nos jets so wudnt that be faster and lighter than a redtop??????

Jack
30-12-05, 02:14 PM
Bear in mind N2O isn't constant power, for example an XE has 150bhp theoretically on tap for as long as you want, where as a 1.6 with a 50bhp shot of nitrous will only have that extra 50bhp a) when you inject it, and b) whilst there's some in the bottles. Not sure about the price of refilling the bottles but its an additional ongoing cost to consider, as well as the additional weight of the bottles and lines.