PDA

View Full Version : Engine warm-up, how long ?

Nick
26-12-05, 01:43 PM
I decided to take good care of my new engine. May sound stupid but how long exactly before the actual engine temp is up ?

I usuall leave it a mile or two down the road, let the water temp reach the first bar on the digi-dash and let the heaters get hot. Before taking it anywhere near 3k

I am aware that the water-temp doesn't really have a true indication of how hot the engine is

Ste_Nova
26-12-05, 02:12 PM
i limiter mine out of my drive

ade
26-12-05, 04:38 PM
mine used to take about 3 miles averaging 30-40mph...

the temp gauge use to rise to 1/2 way then the thermostat would open and it would drop to 1/4 line - then Id floor it!

:twisted:

Adam
26-12-05, 08:13 PM
LMAO at Ste.

Oil temperature is what is interesting.
Oil takes around twice the amount of time that coolant does to reach temperature.
I'd say the oil wouldn't reach full temperature to probably around 7-10miles of driving.
A good indicator is the oil guage on gsi clocks, when the pressure is low(under half) at tickover then IIRC thats a good sign that the oil is nice and warm.

Jack
26-12-05, 08:34 PM
I just normally keep the faff under 3krpm until about 10 mins or so after the water has got up to temperature, or the oil level warning light has gone out... damned dodgy sensor lol

Nick
26-12-05, 08:51 PM
I have an oil pressure guage, and sendor, but havn't wired it up yet.

Well i usually wait for the heaters to get hot, whihc is a while after the water temp is up . so that's all ok then

dunova
26-12-05, 09:21 PM
I don't take my omega above 3k until the engine temp reads about 90 degrees or just under. The oil warms up failry quickly on the V6's aswell because the oil cooler is located in the middle of the 'V'. A friend of mine pretty much ignores oil/engine temp when taking the revs up, even after numerous warnings from myself :roll:

Jack
26-12-05, 09:39 PM
A friend of mine pretty much ignores oil/engine temp when taking the revs up, even after numerous warnings from myself :roll:
Mmm, a friend of mie does that to his GTi6 - 6-7k from cold :roll: and he wonders why he* had to spend ?3k+ on two engine rebuilds!!

*for "he", read "his parents" lol

Philsutton
27-12-05, 11:16 AM
i limiter mine out of my drive
pmsl yep all my shitters had that treatment

Stuart
27-12-05, 11:22 AM
the 205 warms up nice and fast now ive got a smaller rad in there lol.

id just make sure you have oil pressure and thats all that matters ;)

Jon_nova1
27-12-05, 04:33 PM
mine warmed up nicely when i filled the hole where the heater fan was :)

i got about a mile down the road and the water was halfway :?

novalovingned
27-12-05, 05:31 PM
yeah mine gets hamered from the start!!!!!!lol

novalovingned

leemh1234
27-12-05, 06:27 PM
10-15 min like a turbo car i would