PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 Exhaust

Jim Mcrae
23-12-05, 12:33 PM
Could a performance exhuast for a 1400SR fit a 1.2??? Just wondering cos i thinking of getting one cheap. thanks!!!

Philsutton
23-12-05, 12:37 PM
yes if you use the 1.4 manifold an downpipe

sickrabbit
23-12-05, 01:17 PM
Have I been wound up on this one - the MOT at some point next year will fail all modded exhausts as they are to become illegal on road vechiles due to new legislation on noise pollution. They are to be used on track vechiles only and will not be deemed street legal. There will be stiff penalties who flout this law.?? No pun intended but its in the pipeline.

This is the first I,ve heard of this , but my pal is normally spot on .

Philsutton
23-12-05, 01:26 PM
you mean like the willwoods that are stated to be used on the track only lmao

sickrabbit
23-12-05, 01:48 PM
My pal popped over the other night christmas card delivery , he,s a mechanic of 40yrs and we got talking. He hasnt seen my Nova in a while and walked round it having a look he made this comment on new legislation of noise and emissions. To be honest I thought he was going to say something about the clear rear lights ( failed on em last year ) but it was the exhaust he commented on. Unless the vechile came with it fitted on production he reckons this law will be passed. Performance car prices will also rise in relation to this .

As mines a standard one he told me not to waste any dosh on fitting anything other than a direct replacement. To be honest , I thought he was taking the rise as my Nova is only a 1.2 .....

Jack
23-12-05, 06:07 PM
Hmm, technically that means a stainless steel exhaust could be demmed illegal if the car originally came with a mild steel one from the factory!

Aftermarket "loud" exhausts can cause you to fail an MOT now but its down to tester discretion, and tbh most of them don't seem too bothered about it.

Its hardly fair that a Impreza or Evo can make a racket on full chat because they came with a large exhaust from the factory, yet no other car is allowed one. I can see people ripping their rear silencer internals to shreds as thats technically still OE, so unless they couple it with a definate noise level its going to be a pretty useless law.

Nick
23-12-05, 06:41 PM
i'm afriad that is a load of BS

They cannot possibly enforce this law. Think about the effects on economy of this country - there are ALOT of "modded" car fanatics and probably even more people who build track/race road legal cars. It a huge influence on bussinesses, suppliers, jobs both home and abroad.

It's like shitting in your own back garden

Jack
23-12-05, 08:21 PM
It's like s**t in your own back garden
Which, for the government of this country, makes it all the more plausable :lol:

mowgli
23-12-05, 08:43 PM
Well, it sounds like the car manufacturers are at it again....trying to make sure we all buy genuine stuff.
Actually a modern standard system with cat probably costs about the same as most aftermarket tuning ones.

And to be honest, most modded exhausts don't make any more usable power, they might make 2-3 bhp but lose out on torque....But they make tons of noise.

I was on a rally day 2 weeks ago thrashing up a runway in a subaru (std)
and an old evo 5 (rally prepped) & they were not very noisy, either inside or out, but they sounded great..

Jack
23-12-05, 09:46 PM
mmm... larger bore exhausts can help turbo cars (but a better option would be remove the cat)

hehe, I can get a Blitz Nur Spec R stainless steel exhaust for less than a geniune Toyota one from my local dealer :lol:

sickrabbit
23-12-05, 11:11 PM
Gave my uncle a call on this one - he sold me the Nova and at 66yrs of age and a bloomin good mechanic , knows his stuff. He confirmed it. Sooner or later ( apparently ) any vechile without a standard exhaust fitted will fail.NO QUESTION. NO EXCUSES.He also mentioned the fuzz have been clued up on this new legislation over the last few months and will become very vigilant..THERE WILL APPARENTLY BE A PRESS RELEASE.
I dont know what the outcome will be in reality terms , but one thing does seem to be emerging...boy racers will not be tolerated - if you are or not it seems not to matter - they will nail your modded motor .Maybe the bloody stigma that the nova carries will finally finish it off as a favourite modding car. Maybe. Time to make some enquiries - this must be listed somewhere. Anyone whos spent dollars , no matter the vechile must pull their teeth out over this ruling...IF it comes to pass.
The worst thing in the realism of all of this is simple . You want a nice fast motor - then buy a new standard one at cost .
If this is the truth then I can only assume its two points:
And traffic calming.
And money.

Watch the papers people.
Like I put earlier - this could be a right royal wind up . But my relative uncle has asured me the mot tester mates he,s got have really chewed the fat over this one ...the paper work on emission failure is to be increased.......even they aint happy.

Adam
23-12-05, 11:24 PM
...the paper work on emission failure is to be increased.......even they aint happy.
Why,lol.
A modded car dont emit more exhaust pollution than a standard one.

If that was brough into action, which tbh i cant see happening, then its not just the drivers of modded cars that would be affected, its also the retail outlets etc that make a living out of selling aftermarket parts.

When i ordered a jap style can exhaust for a mates citroen ax :lol:
they emailed me and said "This product is not legal on the roads and is for Show Use only"

my mate fitted it and it passed a VOSA inspection and a MOT test with it on.

Jack
23-12-05, 11:47 PM
...the paper work on emission failure is to be increased.......even they aint happy.
Why,lol.
A modded car dont emit more exhaust pollution than a standard one.
Hmm... more power = more fuel = more emissions. Not to mention noise pollution...

Decat pipes as well; remove the cat and emissions increase.

A car with a "modified" exhaust alone doesn't produce more harmful pollution though. If the case was against emissions rather than noise pollution, then why not ban engine mods? Higher octane fuel? Diesels? Older cars without cats? What about commercial jets, aviation fuel is nasty stuff!

Why not ban cows from farting and sheep from burping? Animals fart & burp methane which is far more dangerous to the environment than carbon dioxide & monoxide from cars!

/rant

Snowface
24-12-05, 10:45 AM
actually by tuning an engoine you are making it more efficient. In most cases you do use more fuel cause you are driving it harder.

Philsutton
24-12-05, 01:10 PM
Who gives a fuck about pollution it isnt causing global warming anyway as so many twats think!!

Jack
24-12-05, 03:10 PM
These links may prove interesting:

http://www.sema.org/images/pdf/33491.pdf

http://www.unece.org/trans/doc/2005/wp29grb/GRBIG-ASEP-01-009e.pdf

Google ECE-R-51 and ECE-R-59 and you should being up some info on the European regulations for car exhausts. Although to be honest they seem to be more bothered about motorbikes than anything else.

Can't find anything about them propsing a ban for all non-OE systems...

sickrabbit
24-12-05, 03:40 PM
cheers dude - will read on . :D

Philsutton
24-12-05, 04:04 PM
http://www.dribbleglass.com/images/billboards/volcano.jpg

Give it some rev
28-12-05, 05:19 PM
iv read about this new law. it was in a classic ford book and yes it true if its not standard in illegal