PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 conversion

Tazzy
22-12-05, 11:07 AM
this post may be similer to my other post 'induction kit', but it aint!

this one is about my SR Project, as its runnint on carb, no injection, same for this car, i want to do a 1.6 conversion, i dont understand carb'd fueled engines at all!

would a 1.6 8v be a straight swap? i just want to put twin weber carbs on it!

but as for a 16v conversion, is it possible and would i have to change anything?

cheerz!

Ste L
22-12-05, 12:50 PM
if you want the 16'v if you want to run the injection, you neep an injection fuel tank

not really a hard swap to do, basically bolts straight in

Tazzy
22-12-05, 03:36 PM
as the car is running on a carb anyway, i dont really want to be messing around with the fueling and yet more money, was just thinking of a straight swap!

Philsutton
22-12-05, 04:10 PM
i ran a carb tank with my 2lt 16v, yuo dont need a injection tank but it means you will have to run with at least 1/4 tank otherwise it'll cut out.

SRlew
22-12-05, 07:55 PM
so you won't have to change the fuel tank if you put in a 1.6 on carbs instead of the injection?

is that right?

cheers, lew

Ste L
22-12-05, 10:48 PM
yes, thats correct

Tazzy
23-12-05, 02:57 PM
ive been thinking, i spose doing a 1.6 16v conversion will be more tricky wont it? id have to change almost everything?

could i run a 1.6 16v on twin weber carbs? what would i have to change to do that?

only thing is, how can i find out what type of block ive got?

cheerz!

Philsutton
23-12-05, 03:48 PM
you can run it on twin carbs but your going to need a management for it so you may as well go for throttle bodies

Nick
24-12-05, 12:22 AM
To put a 1.68v on twin carbs in a carbed nova you need..

A 1.6 8v, minus all the loom, efi manifold, injetctors/fuel rail e.t.c

You need to Block up the EGR valve in the head - otherwise you'l have flames spitting next to your carbs and it will run like a tank.

Apart from some T40's, a Rounport 1.6 inlet manifold, alternator lowering bracket and a longer sliding bracket for the alternator there is nothing you need. You can even use the 1.2 cam housing and buy an aftermarket cam (kent have dizzy drive types machined in the end) and use the 1.2 dizzy and coil.

So bascially that way it's a bolt out, bolt in job. No wiring required !

Nick
24-12-05, 12:23 AM
also you can run the mech fuel pump with the 1.2 housing, as it has a SAD hole and the kent cam has a lobe to drive the mech pump.

you wont be dissapointed, mine goes blooming well just on a mild kent cam, and some very light headwork. I'd imagine Jims/Dans are even better (i hope they'd be)

Jim
24-12-05, 02:09 AM
Dont forget a fuel pressure regulator.

Nick, we'll have to go up to the pod in the new year ;)

Jim

Nick
24-12-05, 02:02 PM
Yep it'd have to be a weekend when i can get home !

Although mine wont be anything compared to yours, my carbs aren't even jetted yet, no FPR, standard exhaust, much milder cam and i need a better head

SRlew
24-12-05, 03:41 PM
cheers for that nick.

i might even do the conversoin myself now.

say if i baught just an engine and box, and went to pick it up in me nova, would it actualy fit?

cheers lew

Philsutton
24-12-05, 03:51 PM
yes just dont be go taking about 5 of your mates as well

SRlew
24-12-05, 04:01 PM
lol yer, if i carnt find a GSi for spares then looks like i'll have to buy just an engine.

Tazzy
29-12-05, 12:28 AM
im lost!

are you talking in context of a fuel injected engine or a carbd engine?

either way, i need a simplfied list of both, a 1.6 8v to replace a 1.4 4v carb, and a 1.6 8v mpi to replace a 1.4 8v mpi!

i was thinking summit along the lines of...

1.6 8v mpi-
standard inlet manifold
2.0 throttle body, injectors, ecu and fuel pump
kent/piper cam
k&n induction kit
vernier pully
fse fuel regulator

1.6 8v carb-
twin 40 weber carbs
kent/piper cam

or are my ideas all wrong?

cheerz!