dan23
21-12-05, 07:07 PM
haynes says a close fitting rod can b used 2 lock the tensioner
can i use a bolt if so what size an lentgh

haynes says if water pump cant b moved a special spanner can b bought
what size is this spanner can i get 1 in local motor factors

_JH_
21-12-05, 08:11 PM
not sure about the haynes bit, but from what i remember a 3/4mm pin punch fits nicely. a bolt would have to be tiny, a small nail would be better.

ask your factor for a spanner to fit a water pump, telling him what your car is, and he'll get the right one for you. i've got a draper one, cost 6/7 quid.

Ste_Nova
21-12-05, 09:14 PM
i use a good fitting allen key to lock it

Adam
21-12-05, 09:19 PM
Drill bit locked mine nicely :wink:

dan23
21-12-05, 09:19 PM
cheers lads any other tips on removing n fitting water pump an cam belt does it have 2 have the stupid plastic cover on around the cam belt or can i leave all of it off

Adam
21-12-05, 09:23 PM
You DO NOT need to touch the watertpump if your changing the cambelt on an auto tensioner engine.

Just lock tensioner, off with belt, on with new belt, unlock the tensioner.

I'll assume you that your post was concerning a cambelt removal and replacement.
lol

dan23
21-12-05, 09:38 PM
water pump is nackered due 2 car running out of water (paid ?20 for car it had been in a bump) lost all water about 10 metres from home water pump squeled n smoked now its really stiff when u try 2 turn it so doin belts an pump

Adam
21-12-05, 09:45 PM
water pump is nackered due 2 car running out of water (paid ?20 for car it had been in a bump) lost all water about 10 metres from home water pump squeled n smoked now its really stiff when u try 2 turn it so doin belts an pump
Ah right.
Just lock the tensioner then, take the belt off.
And then attack the waterpump bolts, they are usually right ba**ids :lol:

_JH_
21-12-05, 10:30 PM
and if your doing a timing belt change on an engine where the water pump is timing belt driven, you should always change it anyway.

Stuart
21-12-05, 10:45 PM
imho with the gay tensioners that the small block 8v's had its best to get a 1.2 carb cam belt and take the tensioner off and simply use the waterpump to tension it...

that is unless yovue got a square tooth belt/pulley setup

Adam
22-12-05, 06:32 PM
imho with the gay tensioners that the small block 8v's had its best to get a 1.2 carb cam belt and take the tensioner off and simply use the waterpump to tension it...

With the tensioner you aint got to pi** about with ghey waterpump bolts to change the cambelt, and if your lazy like me theres no need change the pump if you not undoing it. :lol:
Unless its already leaking.
I've had a couple of engines with the tensioner, and no problem with any of them, i have heard they have a habit of breaking tho,lol.