PDA

View Full Version : GTE cam

slammed saloon
20-12-05, 05:29 PM
will it make a difference if i fit a gte cam and followers to my 1.2 carb? ive got the sr exhaust system on it too bt haven yet got the 1.3sr inlet n carb. will it still make a difference? cheers

Jon_nova1
20-12-05, 05:32 PM
The GTE cam doesn't have the lobes for the mechanical fuel pump, get a 1.4 of a carbed engine i think its got better lift and it has the lobes for the fuel pump ;)

it'll make a difference

slammed saloon
20-12-05, 05:35 PM
ok mate cheers. wat sort of difference will it make then mate?

Jon_nova1
20-12-05, 05:37 PM
a big enough difference to spend a few quid on it ;)

not too sure about the increase, but i've got one ready to go on mine :?

slammed saloon
20-12-05, 05:38 PM
ok mate cheers for the help i shall invest in one i think :lol:

Stuart
20-12-05, 07:30 PM
Velos (when they existed) did a straight forward swap of a 1.2 cam for a 1.3 cam and it gave 5-7bhp gain... so the 1.4 cam will probaby be in the realm of 7-10bhp extra...

slammed saloon
20-12-05, 07:37 PM
just the cam did that? when i put the new cam in and the followers is it absolutely necessary that they go in the way the came out order etc cuz i think the yll get mixed up in post.

Jon_nova1
20-12-05, 08:01 PM
Anyone know what power you'd lose out on if you used the more restrictive 1.4 cylinder head and inlet only compared to the better flowing head?

Adam
20-12-05, 08:11 PM
just the cam did that? when i put the new cam in and the followers is it absolutely necessary that they go in the way the came out order etc cuz i think the yll get mixed up in post.
I wouldn't say its 100% neccessary, i didn't put mine in the right order as i dropped them everywhere in the engine bay :oops: :lol:
And ye, the cam should give a 5-10bhp gain.
As the 1.2i,carb,1.4i have restrictive low lift cams.

I fitted a gte cam to my 1.2i, and it made a good difference, the exhuast sounded nicer, and it was deffo quicker when driving it.
My GTE cam had the lobe for the fuel pump as well, as did my old 1.4spi cam :wink:
I would get a 1400SR cam if you can find one. Try and find a good one that aint worn.

slammed saloon
20-12-05, 08:13 PM
nice one. did you get it from a scrappy and how much did it cost? did you fit it with the tool or take the head off? take long?

Adam
20-12-05, 08:18 PM
nice one. did you get it from a scrappy and how much did it cost? did you fit it with the tool or take the head off? take long?
?20 my gte cam cost.
I fitted a spare set of followers/pads i had lying around.
And i cleaned a set of spare lifters and fitted them.
The engine runs very quietly now, no tapping noises etc hot or cold.

I used the rocker removal tool to do mine, it took me a few hours, a lot of that was trying to remove the lifters as when you pull them up vacuum sucks them back down.
If your leaving your lifters in, then it shouldn't take long at all.

Might as well do the cambelt whilst your at it as the cam pully has got to come off anyways.

slammed saloon
20-12-05, 08:20 PM
i did ma cam belt month ago mate could i leave the old lifters etc in and just swap the cam or is this too risky?

Adam
20-12-05, 08:22 PM
If your lifters are nice and quiet, then leave them and they will be fine.
Just swap the cam/followers etc.
But its a good oppourtunity to clean the lifters seeing as you have access to them with the cam removed.

slammed saloon
20-12-05, 08:26 PM
right ok mate cheers for advice. you dnt no anyone who is selling a 1.4sr cam and followers do you?

Jon_nova1
20-12-05, 08:32 PM
you might need the distributor and ignition too, im not sure if they're the same, but mines of a 1.4 astra, ive been told they're the same a a nova, the distributor end is different on mine so i had to buy the distributor to fit it and the connectors are different so i had to have the ignition coil too

slammed saloon
20-12-05, 08:35 PM
wat so ill need the sr dizzy etc? you sure cuz i never heard that before. nt sayin ur wrong? anyone else know if this is right

Jon_nova1
20-12-05, 08:37 PM
the cam might be different for the astra and nova, but on mine one of them had a slice in it and the other one didn't, so i had to get a distributor to fit it, but i've been told you can just connect your old dizzy cap and it works the same, not sure if thats true though :?

Adam
20-12-05, 08:55 PM
Aye, i forgot about that.
You will need to make sure that the cam has the same dizzy drive.
Theres a pin drive, and a slot drive.

I think most carb engines have slot drive, but i know gte,1.2i,1.4i has a pin drive.
Im not sure what a 1.4SR engine has tho.

craig green
21-12-05, 09:12 AM
Thats good to know. Ive got 3 GTE cams in the shed. Might have to have a play with the 1.2i work wagon over christmas.

Is the std timing marks etc all the same regardless of cam?

Adam
21-12-05, 09:26 PM
Thats good to know. Ive got 3 GTE cams in the shed. Might have to have a play with the 1.2i work wagon over christmas.

Is the std timing marks etc all the same regardless of cam?
AFAIK yes, i timed it to the standard belt timing marks anyway.
And it was fine.

It makes a very nice improvement to a 1.2i, because of the extra 1-1.5mm of lift.

alistairolsen
21-12-05, 11:49 PM
Just as a side note, me and kev fitted a 2.0 SEH cam to a 1.8 spi cav today, made the world of difference, much better at high revs with apparent losses low down.