PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox

Jon_nova1
20-12-05, 04:48 PM
after taking my 1.2 engine out and putting the 1.4 bottom end in, i thought i'd make sure the gears were right before i put it back together, and they weren't :cry:

the cars on axle stands so the wheels are free to rotate, the wheels spin around, like when it does when the engines on and the wheels are of the ground, I thought it might be clutch problem, because it was the old clutch, but you can stop the drive shaft input from spinning then spin the wheels, anyway problem is.....it wont engage the gears, you can see the gear selector rod??? moving when you change the gear, but it doesn't seem to engage, and it doesn't stay in "gear" the gearsticks like a metal pole moving in a box, theres hardly any resistance.

help :oops:

Jon_nova1
20-12-05, 05:43 PM
Im thinking it might the input shaft thats not in properly??

also it doesn't in theory go out of gear...the gear selector rod stays in place, but the gearstick kind of flops back to where it centres :?

mowgli
20-12-05, 05:44 PM
ok, the gearbox will have been moved about a bit when you removed the engine, and also when fitting the new one.. check that the big ball joint has not been clouted out first. And once the engine is in a running condition follow the haynes method for re adjusting the linkage

Jon_nova1
20-12-05, 05:50 PM
The ball joint on the gear lever??

It wouldn't be that, the gear selector goes into gear, you can actually see the gear selector moving if you change the gear from inside the engine bay :?

but it was abit of a b*tch getting it into first and fifth :|

Jon_nova1
20-12-05, 07:22 PM
I've got the problem down to one of the assemblies,

you've got the input shaft with the input geartrain etc on it, then it reaches the end of the gearbox and another cog connects a rod to all the gears, so basically theres two rods side by side, the problem is somewhere on the side of the gears etc, i don't know what its called because Haynes hasn't labelled it, you can hear the bearing on the gear selector rod clicking into place, but its not engaged