PDA

View Full Version : welder

Christ
19-12-05, 06:48 PM
Anybody recommend a good welder? Nothing fancy just for a few jobs i want to do to my car and garage.

As in welder i mean the machine, was looking at screwfix and that.

clowo16v
20-12-05, 11:41 AM
Get at least a 150 amp MIG. Mines a Telmig and its done a fine job for the last 5 years and i've built a few chassis with it with no problems.

Preperation is the key to good welding though, its a waste of time welding rust or paint it wont work.

See ya

Matt

SRlew
20-12-05, 02:24 PM
i'v been looking into buying a welder aswell latley as some of the stuff i want doing is somthing i would want to do my self, like welding in a rear strut brace etc

i was looking at a gasless mig, are the gasless ones alright?

i'v never welded before. is it hard to get the right setting for the peice your working on?

cheers, lew

Jon_nova1
20-12-05, 05:35 PM
I've hardly ever used mig, i've always used an arc welder, its not the fastest, but its really easy to set up and even a crap weld on the arc is stronger than a mig weld, aslong as your not using it on load bearing parts one of the low power ones for about 60 quid of ebay will do :)

mikey14sr
20-12-05, 06:24 PM
I've allways used gasless as that whats my cousin has and it was easier and cheaper than buying my own, the wire works out more expensive, and the flux quality seems to very wildly, esp with the stuff from machine mart.

As with anything, practice makes perfect, get someone who knows what they're doing to help you set it up and just buy a few bits of sheet and box section to have a go on. Thats what I did a few years back, ended up with quite a sturdy fish tank stand.

bump
20-12-05, 09:09 PM
if you can't weld then my advice is to get an auto darkening helmet as this makes the learning process much easier not having anything else to think about.

i'm happy with mig or arc, it's really horses for courses as to which i use.

cheers

bump

dan23
20-12-05, 09:15 PM
arc is 2 hot hot 4 car body panels

dont buy sip they r crap

mine is clarke from machine mart 125 amp it works fine aslong as the surface is preped well

_JH_
21-12-05, 08:28 PM
If your not looking to spend too much, the Ferm welders from ScrewFix are pretty good. to be honest, most of the portable welders from machine mart, screwfix, etc are made by the same people anyway, just branded according to where you buy them.

You need to ask yourself if it's something you may do a lot of in the future, if so, your better off spending a bit more and getting one with euro torch fitting etc so you can easily replace stuff.

but if you get a small one, get a proper regulator too, that way you can use large bottles.

I run a 150 amp welder from screwfix, with proper regulator (and adapter to fit to the pissy gas hose), and I use pub CO2. I have done an awful lot of welding with it on cars and around the farm, so it's getting on a bit now. Now I know it's something I want to continue with I'll buy a decent one next year. I've already spotted a Lincoln one at a good price, and will go for that.

Donova
21-12-05, 09:17 PM
I,ve got arc and mig,so can do allsorts, prefer arc but as has been said no good for thin stuff, you can get some good deals on ebay but take care! :!:

SRlew
22-12-05, 10:19 AM
well gunna look into it when i get paid and just practise on stuff, my dad said he taught him self, so im gunna give it ago.

seen one for sale, its a 130amp.
will i be alright with it. and with this will it be safe for me to weld a rear strut brace in with it and have my harnesses on it?

cheers, lew

Chris Astley
27-12-05, 10:05 PM
personally dont bother with a gasless mig, you will never get a nice looking weld.

130amp mig is the minimum you should use, if you intend on fitting any seat rails or roll cage mounting e.t.c then you should be looking at a 150 to 180amp for good penatration.

As for makes i cant really comment on the budget mig sets on the market!

I were using a lincoln electric 185 compact but i have recently purchased a 210 amp Lorch set that cost me nearly 4 figures, but is a awesome bit of kit.

leebo
27-12-05, 11:05 PM
was offered a mig welder the other day but i was drunk and i think he said it was 300 amp!!! could that be right? especialy when he was lookin 50 quid lol

bump
28-12-05, 11:21 AM
was offered a mig welder the other day but i was drunk and i think he said it was 300 amp!!! could that be right? especialy when he was lookin 50 quid lol

well it could be right, depends on how old, where it came from, if space is needed. i wen't to my local boat surpluss and they paid me ?20 to take a pair of 180 amp arc's off their hands!

cheers
bump

dan16v
28-12-05, 12:04 PM
yes dont bother with gasless! you get left with more of an arc bead than a nice smooth bead like gas mig! ive tried gasless and would never use it over gas, even with the flux wire!
125amp is ample to weld a car and is powerfull enough to blow through an engine bay! so much more than that is over kill realy!
auto dim screens are great! good for when your in tight spaces and dont have room to flip a lid etc!

leebo
28-12-05, 08:07 PM

well it could be right, depends on how old, where it came from, if space is needed. i wen't to my local boat surpluss and they paid me ?20 to take a pair of 180 amp arc's off their hands!

cheers
bump

on reflection i think he mite of said stick welder, i guess that changes the whole thing. O and he dont need space but dose have more money than sence :lol:

Mike
29-12-05, 07:43 PM
Makro cash and carry, 150amp gasless MiG for ?88.11 (includes vat)

comes with cored flux, ive got one and used it on my nova and its fine, a lot better to use than stick welder, there poo for use on cars!

Mike

_JH_
02-01-06, 08:17 PM
Just been searching for a cheap portable arc on ebay and found this seller:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Powershack-MIG-190R-MIG-Welder-from-Europa-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ7575610628QQcategoryZ64818QQtcZph otoQQcmdZViewItem

Far better and cheaper than any of the portable migs from screwfix, machine mart etc etc

Everything on there can be always be replaced with better quality items as time goes by, like the torch for example.

Maybe worth a look mate

Ben
02-01-06, 09:18 PM
You can get the FERM mogs from screwfix for nearly half price off ebay, We use a Phase 3 Mig mainly so less likely to get pinched as not many have 3 phase.

Also got a Clarke 135TE Turbo gas mig which is great for a Nova as nothing on one worth more amps. Dont buy a gasless under any circumstance.

leebo
03-01-06, 12:56 AM
Im for buildin the rwd nova by takin the front out of one nova and stickin it into the back of another nova. You recon a gas mig at about 150amp is the job for me? I do intend on usin in the future so that the one i want?

Cheers Lee