PDA

View Full Version : Switch Lives!!!

DIY*VALVER84
16-12-05, 11:41 PM
hello all.

was reading somewhere that you can wire the loom in a xe conversion to 2 different switch lives? is this true? it said that you can wire it to the wrong one and it will be live whilst cranking over only? anyone local to b'ham wanna come get it runnin?theres a drink in it and some moola. but need to know bout these two switch lives and if i got the right one or not before i go choppin into the other one. cheers all.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL,FROM SCOTT.

Ste L
16-12-05, 11:54 PM
yea thats true, you got 2 diff type of switchs live's

one's a live when cranking

the other isn'tm dont ask me which is which lol,

i probably will know tomorrow though, as im going to be wiring my xe in :lol:

DIY*VALVER84
17-12-05, 02:04 AM
cheers ste

if you can let me know tomorro then plz chap as its doin me head in,lol.

scott.

bump
17-12-05, 12:33 PM
find the two lives and switch the ignition to position 2 then put a multimeter set at 20V dc from that and earth to the block/chassis (whichever is easier). if you get a reading then you've got it, if not try the other one.

cheers

bump

Adam
17-12-05, 06:21 PM
THey will both have a 12V reading when the ignition is on.

The difference is when your cranking the engine(ignition swich position 3) one will die and the other will stay 12v.

bump
17-12-05, 08:24 PM
ah i see, didn't think of that.

cheers

bump

Ste L
18-12-05, 01:59 PM
cheers ste

if you can let me know tomorro then plz chap as its doin me head in,lol.

scott.

sorry never got round to wiring it in, so dont know yet

DIY*VALVER84
19-12-05, 12:37 AM
bumphere you should be a comedian... nice try tho but like they said there both live on ignition but one takes back seat while cranking the engine over. im thinking of just tappin into the other switch live tho cuz im gettin angry with it now,any bodge is a good bodge even the untidy ones.lol. ste mate you let me down lol...sob sob... someone hurry up and tell me(im an impatient lil sh1t)catch ya's lata's.

Ste L
19-12-05, 12:30 PM
could always use the swiched live from the ignition switch :?:

DIY*VALVER84
19-12-05, 12:53 PM
didnt wanna splice into any more wires tbh but it is an idea i'll try it if the other switch live is a dud. heres a daft question 4 you all...whats the best way to check if i have spark?ark it out to the block?will i get a shock lol? seriously tho.

Riggy
19-12-05, 09:31 PM
if your holding the lead yes :o

and it fcuking hurts :lol:

just hold it towards the block with some decent insulated electrical pliers :lol:

Ste L
20-12-05, 12:39 AM

i take it your talking from experiance :lol:

Adam
20-12-05, 12:45 AM

i take it your talking from experiance :lol:
My dads mate did it for a joke, and he says he felt feint for a week after :o :lol:

Riggy
20-12-05, 10:35 PM
hell yeah i was taking it off and just had it in my hand when i said to my mate "hang on a min"

did he lol nope :lol:

DIY*VALVER84
22-12-05, 12:16 AM
got another problem...
ive got a green wire (live) down by the coil i think its suppose to go to either the coil or into the connector block for the loom?i checked the spark and its ok(a bit weak) but it is sparking but when i was down there i found this green one not connected to anything.i tested it and its definitly live and i think its running from the original nova loom. i need pics and a proper wiring diagram not that shabby thing off valvers.any ideas?