PDA

View Full Version : RESPRAY

Mrblonde
15-12-05, 06:19 PM
Hey guys been looking through some of the novas on the forums and i must say they are all very impressive

but alot of u have had to have your nova fully stripped and resprayed my question is how much does a decent respray cost?

Ste L
15-12-05, 06:55 PM
varies on the amount of work needed, rust, replacement pannels etc etc

can vary from as little as 3-400 to a fe3w grand

scott.parker
16-12-05, 12:07 AM
As ste said its all down to how much rot you got (ooh it rhymes)

If you do it your self and its a base paint then naff all or all work by pro's and pearl paint over ?3000 etc.

Scott

novalovingned
16-12-05, 01:35 AM
do all the prep ur self then it will be cheaper. but just depends on how good u r at d.i.y

novalovingned

Stuart
16-12-05, 07:55 AM
a lot of body shops prefer you not to do the prep, not just because it gets them more labour charges, but because they wont know what the base is like for painting and might not want a gash filler bodge job to spoil the paint job and you then bad mouth them for doing a pish job.......

I did my respray myself and it cost about ?250ish in paint/primer..

Marc
18-12-05, 02:46 PM
most peopel ive spoken to about this and a threw pors says a good job is 90% down to the prep if you got shit prep then youve got a big chance it will look shit!

Iain
18-12-05, 04:13 PM
a lot of body shops prefer you not to do the prep, not just because it gets them more labour charges, but because they wont know what the base is like for painting and might not want a gash filler bodge job to spoil the paint job and you then bad mouth them for doing a pish job.......

I can believe that. I prepped a door myself and got it professionally resprayed (on the cheap, but still) and it's bubbling with rust again. I can imagine people being disappointed with the results when they realise their prepping isn't up to scratch and blaming the sprayer.

novarick
18-12-05, 04:23 PM
i done all the work on mine, replaced the front wings and rear quarters and resprayed the whole car myself it cost me ?200. a sprayer wanted ?550, i thought f**k that so i did it my self and was really pleased with the end result.

Christ
18-12-05, 05:13 PM
i done all the work on mine, replaced the front wings and rear quarters and resprayed the whole car myself it cost me ?200. a sprayer wanted ?550, i thought f**k that so i did it my self and was really pleased with the end result.

Did you use a compressor mate or spray cans? I wouldnt mind having ago at this myself. Where do you get the paint from that comes in tubs so you can put it into the paint gun?

novalovingned
18-12-05, 06:38 PM
i wouldnt paint it with spray cans some 1 didi that down the beach and it looks awful , hire a compressor and buy the paint from dingbro. or do what i did and order it from ebay i got 1.5l o dimond white paint,activator,hardener and thinners for 55 quid posted thats a bargain so if i was u do that!

novalovingned

novarick
18-12-05, 06:43 PM
ive got all the gear for spraying and a compressor. i did use spray cans on my other nova to spray the bumpers and they looked s**t. i got the paint for mine from a vauxhall garage as it was vauxhall glacier white paint.

novamadcars
18-12-05, 09:54 PM
im going 2 start buying all the stuff i will need 2 respray my car my self in the summer im just wondering on how many liters of primer and top coat i will need cheers

Nobby
19-12-05, 05:38 PM
lol i sef preped my own Nova wen i was 16, imo u need it done professionally and thats whats happening to mint in feb in silk violet hmmmm, however if the prep is shit the finish will be shit i used 2 ruf sand paper and wrecked my car lol everytime i had gone over it with the sander you could see it plus i brought hte worng paint and as they say you learn by your mistakes so here is my check list

Use the correct sandpaper and sander for the job
Get rid of all rust before filling
Only sand the top layer of paint off -You only need a quick skim with the sander and its fine.
Use 2 pack paint (not acrylic lol)
Spray it in a warm dust free place ie a clean garage
If your doing it in a garage dampen the floor so that any dust will soak up but not 2 much as you dont want too much moisture in the air.

Good luck (you will need it lol) 8)

Stuart
20-12-05, 10:41 AM
i used approx 4Litres of high build primer + 1litre of hardener to prime indisen and out of the shell + doors+boot_wings + bumpers and skirts (didnt do the bonnet but id guess there is enough left to give it a blow over.

that was oneish coats too.

initially i sanded the bodywork down with 80grit on an orbital sander, came out fine... filled any glaringly odvious dinks etc then primed.
sanded back to get a mirrorish finish. topped up any filler etc.
painted, bay/inside first, then outside etc.

took about a week all in.

2pack is very forgiving for an amature (like me) but you need the right 3m boil in the bag mask otherwise you might get ill lol

SRlew
20-12-05, 02:37 PM
yer its all the work needed that costs alot cause its more of a time thing, my dad done a fair bit of welding on mine when it got done and that was what most of the time went on.

NovalutionGSi
20-12-05, 02:50 PM
i wouldnt paint it with spray cans some 1 didi that down the beach and it looks awful , hire a compressor and buy the paint from dingbro. or do what i did and order it from ebay i got 1.5l o dimond white paint,activator,hardener and thinners for 55 quid posted thats a bargain so if i was u do that!

novalovingned

wouldnt say its awful mate, i have been known to do panels with cans..... well most of my panels but after having 3 novas to practice on i'm getting better with the prep. will say that you can get a ok finish with cans with good perp but nothing like a proper gun, plus can paint weathers faster than a spray gun.

i personally need a pair of doors spraying up, think i'l get someone to do them thou.