PDA

View Full Version : skimming cam carrier

womble sri
12-12-05, 06:16 PM
i revieved my cam kit today and had a quic look through the fitting instructions and it said i should skim the carrier its a 300 duration 12.? lift would the carrier foul the cam or something? has any one installed one of thrse cams before?

Stuart
13-12-05, 08:27 AM
piper bp300??

skimming the carrier will give slightly increased lift and possibly increased duraction as your moving the cams relative postion over the valves. I cant remember if we had jims carreir skimmed or not for that cam...

womble sri
13-12-05, 12:21 PM
yes it is the bp300 are you saying i shoudnt skim it because of the increase in lift and duration or that this will be better

S_Gault
13-12-05, 03:00 PM
it will only change the rocker ratio slightly.. how can it increase the lift a lot as the hydralic lifter will sink to reset the valve clearance?

A race engien builder who knows what he is doing will do things like this to optimise certain details that im not giving away here.

piper ask you to do it to make sure that the head is flat.. thats all

loggyboy
13-12-05, 03:08 PM
A race engien builder who knows what he is doing will do things like this to optimise certain details that im not giving away here.

:roll:
Meany :P

Stuart
13-12-05, 03:17 PM
since its stritcly speaking adjsuting the profile of the cam by altering its mounting point then in some racing fields thats "cheating" oops i mean rule interpretation... ;)

womble sri
13-12-05, 07:58 PM
[quote="S_Gault"]

well what should i do i am having the head skimmed at the local engineering company would they be able to check the heads flat?

S_Gault
13-12-05, 10:05 PM
just reface it yea, its piper just making sure that it sits flat and you wont get belt creep etc from the cam sitting at an angle to head.

its not adjusting the profile of cam at all stuart. to do that you have to grind the cam. the only thing it will ever do is change the rocker ratio but you need to machine more than 3-4 thou that a reface does to make a difference and you need to really know what your doing or it can spit out followers and wipe off face of follower etc..

what it does do on really racey profiles (eg AST 19 etc is reliabilty of the valve train). its another version of blueprinting.

all the kind of things you learn from building race pintos.

it not cheating unless its specified you cant do it.. any scrutiner with half a brain can measure a cam carrier, so if you do it when you are told you cant, your an idiot who deserves to be caught