PDA

View Full Version : Next stage in spi tuning

alistairolsen
12-12-05, 11:32 AM
Been waiting to put this up for a while. The car was meant to be RRd last week, but as dastek are a bunch of cunts, :roll: its output is as yet unconfirmed.

After much deliberation about carbs etc, Aragorn convinced me that spi was the way forward. I already had a good 14nv bottom end in the Sr, with a fourbranch, and a standard top end. Id also bought a c14se head cheap with a mind to fitting a webber carb to it.

This left me to source a suitable manifold, so it was off to the dealers for some gaskkets. It turns out that the 1300sr manifold is a direct fit for the 1499 head once you fill the bottoms of the runners. It opens out sharply from a round tract to the cathedral shape where it meets the head. I chose to fill this with chemical metal which claims to be good for petrol and 160 degrees, but we shall wait and see. For anyone less confident, welding is an option :?

The head was stripped and rebuilt, and chamber volumes measured. I was aiming for 10:1, but due to time constraints couldnt get it skimmed, so it went on with as std giving 9.54:1 once the valves were relapped and the manifold matched to the head, an adaptor plate was made to mount the 1800 cav TB. I have a diagram of this if anyone is interested.

The whole shebang was bolted together, and then the engine was stripped and the new top end fitted. A heated lambda sensor mounted into the fourbranch and wired to the fuel pump relay.

After some mucking around to repair some loom mods id made in the past, a dodgy bit of cable, a mashed ignitioin switch and a seized starter it ran, at 3k!

The high idle was the resut of an air leak, and after that was sorted it fell to a nice idle at just below 1k.

The result: The car is mental to drive, significantly quicker than my mates sri in the same trim, spins thru second in the wet or on any lock. I pulls cleanly to the rev limiter with no flat spots, the limiter in fourth is effortless and it still pulls well in fifth. Best guesstimate is aroun 95hp, but id be hppy with high 80s.

The total cost of this has been minimal, 15 quid for the head, 10 for the TB, 15 for thmanifold, a headset and some time.

The ecu is giving me code 44 for lean running if you give it stick for long enough, so Im trying to get an injector from a 1600 spi astra as I feel the 1800 will be overkill.

Will post up power figures as soon as I have them, sorry about the essay and I hope this helps a few folk

PS, I made an average of about 35mpg the other night over 90 miles of b roads, combination of traffic and flat to the floor. The SR engine used to average just under 30!!

Stuart
12-12-05, 12:25 PM
if the 1800 injector is "overkill" eg supplying too much fuel, how the FECK is it running lean then? lmao

Adam
12-12-05, 01:13 PM
if the 1800 injector is "overkill" eg supplying too much fuel, how the FECK is it running lean then? lmao
" I feel the 1800 will be overkill"
Hes using a 1.4 injector AFAIK, so its too lean.
1.8 would be overkill.

So a nice in the middle 1.6 would be perfect.

Good to hear Alistair, Aragorn has told me a lot about it on MSN, i want one now :lol: :) :+:

Gunzi
12-12-05, 05:21 PM
Nice job, goes to show sod all cash, elbow grease and a bit of know how and you can have a nice little run around wioth a decent amount of poke!
:)

Aragorn
12-12-05, 06:38 PM
the big problem is that if the ECU has to adjust the fuelling too far at idle it flags a fault code

my bros running a 1400 injector in his 1200 and it gets rich fault code at idle, but fuels so much better at WOT above around 3500rpm

im hoping that fititng a 1600 one will be just about right and not cause any fault codes, the 1800 one will most probably send the ECU to the rich side as my brothers has.

The engine is superb, smooth power delivery and very free revving, only downfall is the SPi's lowly 6200rpm rev limit which will mean the power probably wont even peak with the stock (well SR) cam

i will probably get together with al and revise my original SPi guide with this info and the further mods ive done to my brothers 1200 once ive got power plots for both engines and some idea as to how they are fuelling under load (fuel economy and plug state shows they are fuelling pretty well during normal driving)

goes to show that the stock SPi system isnt the crap that a lot of folk make it out to me, its simply mated to crap components in the stock engine. And the lambda and EFI means it does excellent fuel economy during normal driving.

For any higher state of tune i'd imagine a unichip would be required along with raising the rev limit and also the 1800 cav throttlebody (45mm) might start to get a little restrictive at that point, however i know the standard SRi/GTE item (which is about 55mm iirc) is good for over 150bhp so its perhaps not that bad

powerplots and fuelling info will follow once we get it!

cheers