PDA

View Full Version : Collecting bits together

clowo16v
12-12-05, 12:43 AM
Started collecting bits together for my future Nova from a few of the rally guys I know. So far i've picked up a:

2 litre XE engine thats done 800 miles since a full rebuid.
4000-8000rpm rally cams
Mildly worked on head
Set of GSXR1000 Throttle bodies
F20 gearbox with 4.6:1 diff
Pair of brand new AP 4 pot calipers

I'm sending the bottom end of the motor to my mate to be balanced and generally checked out. What sort of rpm should I limit to with ARP bolts? I think about 8000rpm should be fine.

Just need to find a shell now I spotted a mint 1 litre Merit shell 2 door no sunroof today so i'm off back next week to try and buy it. Aiming for well over 200bhp. My mates dads Astra kit car is very very quick with 185bhp so a Nova should fly.

See ya

Matt

burgo
12-12-05, 12:45 AM
well done im happy for ya

Ben
12-12-05, 12:48 AM
Hard cut it at 8250rpm.

gazmorgan1985
12-12-05, 01:01 AM
why gsxr tb's thou ? insterested on y haha

Will F
12-12-05, 09:10 AM
I wouldnt go near 8k with standard rods. 7750 is the norm really. Unless you are buying new?

Stuart
12-12-05, 09:19 AM
hmmm 4.6 FD = 120mph top speed and probably a useless 1st/2nd gear lol. all fun though :D
as said id not really want to go above 7750ish for that long/that often on std rods (even new ones) Also if your on hydraulic followers for the cam id deffo not venture to 7750 very often lol

clowo16v
12-12-05, 11:29 AM
I'm gonna do a bit of rallying in it for a laugh so the 4.6 FD will be better. Don't need to go much more than 120mph anyway but hopefully it should fly up to that lol.

I'll set the rev limiter up for 7750 then it should be OK. I'm saving up already to buy a steel bottom end but it won't be till sometime near the end of next year that I get it.

Bike throttle bodies because they're cheap and easy enough to set up.

Went to the Malton MC rally yesterday there were a few Novas there that were flying. Good fun to watch.

See ya

Matt

Nick
13-12-05, 11:50 AM
XE is a bit of an odd choice for rallying !

never the less, sounds good - get some piccies up when you can mate

Stuart
13-12-05, 12:07 PM
steel rods on mig group buy for approx ?250ish.... see car chat and a post from beardy

clowo16v
13-12-05, 08:32 PM
Thanks for that mate thats not a bad price actually I was expecting them to be a fortune.

Off to look at a 1.0 on Saturday I had a quick look last weekend its one of the best Nova shells i've seen can't see and rust anywhere. 2 door non sunroof aswell so a good base for a rally car. Gona try and buy a cheap GSi as a donor car aswell.

See ya

Matt

novamadcars
13-12-05, 10:56 PM
good luck with it all mate hope it all goes 2 plan

1.3sr_kane
14-12-05, 10:57 PM
good luck matey....
i am thinking of doing grass track racing next year once my car is all sorted!!
think ill start in the 1.0 class though!! like heck am i getting on a track with guys that have been doing it since they were like 5 and be in anything bigger than a 1.0!! lol

:wink:

!!long live the nova!!

Chris
15-12-05, 06:49 PM
you say it is going to be a rally car, then why look for a GSi as a donor? The parts you 'need' for a rally car cant be bought off here, mig or ebay for next to nowt.

As said regarding the engine, I wouldnt rev it to 7750rpm very often, I have a similar spec engine but with weber carbs and mine wont be going over 7krpm, my rev limit will soft cut at 6,800 and hard cut at 7,000, that is plenty for a 'standard' XE.

Also you say about GSXR throttle bodies, what management are you thinking of running them on? Do you have a rolling or do you know somebody who can map cheap?

Chris

clowo16v
15-12-05, 07:58 PM
Im now thinking of buying the group buy steel rods of MigWeb they seem very cheap and according to my mate who runs EDA race engines they're very good. I thought the rev limit was 7000rpm on XE's anyway?

I was thinking of buying a GSi for the driveshafts and the petrol tank, but ive now decided to make an ally tank as my mate is one of the best tig welders ive ever seen so it seems as shame not to use his skills hehe. I'm going to use GSi shafts for the time being as while its been run in its not going to be hammered anyway.

I'm running a Megasquirt ECU as my mate James had very impressive results with one on his V8 Cortina. I have after hours access to a rolling road and the operator has mapped before so that should be OK. Going use their ignition management aswell as on my dads rally car it meant the big cam could be used on the road with no problems.

See ya

Matt

scott.parker
16-12-05, 12:05 AM
steel rods on mig group buy for approx ?250ish.... see car chat and a post from beardy

Nice one homo,there cheap im in on that :wink:

Stuart
16-12-05, 07:57 AM
i should get fecking comission for this lol