PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 8v help

Riggy
10-12-05, 04:25 PM
right ive fitted a gsi lump into my 1.0

everythin is wired up it just refuses to start - not sure if it is sparking rev counter was moving a bit yesterday when cranking but its not today ?

i have got 12v at the coil and have tried 3 coils

have tried 2 ecu's

have tried 2 dizzy's

and 2 fuel pump relays

cam anyone help , or come and sort it for me in exchange for mullah

getting really desperate now as i have no car

thanks

Adam
10-12-05, 04:38 PM
Check for a spark at every plug.
Take the plugs out at see if they look wet with fuel.

Or, your using an external fuel pump IIRC.
Get someone to turn the ignition on whilst you listen next to the pump to see if the pump is coming on.

Do you have a ECU light?

Riggy
10-12-05, 04:50 PM
yes using a external pump ad

and its deffo workin as i pulled the line off before to check and got a face full of petrol - it stings your eyes lol :lol:

Adam
10-12-05, 04:54 PM
yes using a external pump ad

and its deffo workin as i pulled the line off before to check and got a face full of petrol - it stings your eyes lol :lol:
LOl
I would check for a spark then.
If you have a spark then theres no reason it shouldn't start.

Presuming the hallsensor etc is working fine.

I've heard of a few engines not starting and its been down to dodgy hall sensor connection.

Riggy
10-12-05, 05:01 PM
hallsensor ? .... enlighten me

dont think im getting a spark though ?

it did try and kick once before but thats it

Nick
10-12-05, 05:06 PM
maybe it's my dodgy looms :-D

i gave you a spare coil and dizzy i think riggy,maybe try swaping over if your getting no spark.

Adam
10-12-05, 05:18 PM
hallsensor ? .... enlighten me

dont think im getting a spark though ?

it did try and kick once before but thats it
The hall sensor is a sensor in the dizzy. It gives the ecu the engine speed etc IIRC.
If its not working right, then it may stop the engine from starting.
There should be a plug on the dizzy, this is the hall sensor plug, try giving it a wiggle.

Nick-He says hes already tried another dizzy and coil :wink: :lol:

Riggy-Check the main HT lead from the coil for a spark.

Riggy
10-12-05, 05:19 PM
lol tryed both coil's and dizzys nick

cant see it being the loom but i might swap it tomorrow and see ?

Riggy
10-12-05, 05:25 PM
a bit random but on tha 1.0 starter loom it had 3 wires big white , black/red anda small black

the gsi only had 2 so i put the small black on with the black/red

whats the small black one for?

Adam
10-12-05, 05:33 PM
a bit random but on tha 1.0 starter loom it had 3 wires big white , black/red anda small black

the gsi only had 2 so i put the small black on with the black/red

whats the small black one for?
Hrm, no idea,lol.
I cant remember seeing a white wire on the starter loom before.
There should be red,red/black, and black IIRC.

Oooo, i think i remember someone mentioning something about a resistor wire on a 1L, it may have been Burgo, not sure tho.

If its cranking tho, its probably fine.

Do you have a spark from the coil?

Riggy
10-12-05, 05:37 PM
lol ad the white wire is just the red one lol its just white lol

no spark from the coil though

Nick
10-12-05, 05:38 PM
lol tryed both coil's and dizzys nick

cant see it being the loom but i might swap it tomorrow and see ?

it was sat in my shed for months which isn't the driest of places. But it should be fine.

good luck with it riggy, i'm back on thursday so will have to pop down in the 40 beast :-D

Nick
10-12-05, 05:40 PM
just another thing to check... i really doubt this as the engine hasn't been running but...

My can has a tendency to chew the coil-dizzy HT lead up if it's left dangling. it stumped me for about 3 hours wondering why i wasn't getting a spark, turns out the fan had slit a very fine gash in the lead and it'd just acumilated loads of condensation and water in the core.

Adam
10-12-05, 11:58 PM
lol ad the white wire is just the red one lol its just white lol

no spark from the coil though
lol.

Hrmm, if you have 12v at the coil then im not sure why it aint sparking, it cant be the coil if you've tried different ones.

Are the connections good on the coil?

Stuart
11-12-05, 08:02 AM
how are you powering the ecu on the switched side...??? if your using the 1.0 coil wire for it then thats more than likely your problem... replace with a "normal" wire and your laughing

Adam
11-12-05, 01:01 PM
how are you powering the ecu on the switched side...??? if your using the 1.0 coil wire for it then thats more than likely your problem... replace with a "normal" wire and your laughing
Is the 1.0 coil wire that wire thats a resistor?

bump
11-12-05, 01:06 PM
Is the 1.0 coil wire that wire thats a resistor?

i do believe that is correct, there is a warning about using a "normal" wire on the 1L in Haynes.

Riggy
11-12-05, 04:09 PM
no not using the coil wire using a new ig live

today have tried a 2nd throttle position switch and a 2nd engine loom , still with no luck

are they any other sensors that could stop it runing ? and how would i wire in a ecu light to see if i have any faults , is it just a wire from the loom to a bulb and then earth it ?

Riggy
11-12-05, 04:11 PM
also since it was a 1.0 would i need to incorporate the old green wire that used to plug into the dizzy ?think its something to do with low tension system

and i have a green wire tapeed up behind my headlight - whats this ?all same colour as rev counter

bump
11-12-05, 08:35 PM
the green wire does form part of your LT circuit. it goes to the condenser at the dizzy.

burgo
12-12-05, 12:40 AM
is it possible for you to get pics of how you wired it into the main loom? ive just had a look at my pics and i had to tap into the main loom down by the headlight for two wires. one was rev counter and the other water temp. dont know if they make any difference but you may have missed them. ill send you all my wiring pics if you want

Will F
12-12-05, 09:34 AM
So is it deffo not sparking?
Is it a C16? (DIS) engine?

Adam
12-12-05, 01:16 PM
So is it deffo not sparking?
Is it a C16? (DIS) engine?
I think Riggy said it was a e16se, dizzy engine, on MSN the other night.

burgo
12-12-05, 07:50 PM
indeed it has a dizzy

Riggy
13-12-05, 05:05 PM
yeah its a e16se engine and i have no spark at all

do i need to use the 2 green wires then for the lt circuit

Riggy
17-12-05, 01:15 PM
still not having any of it :twisted:

any one know if i need to use the 2 greens behind the headlight :?:

Nick
17-12-05, 01:24 PM
if your pretty sure about it riggy, get a muti-meter and see what's happening around the coil.

mine gave up the other day - turned out to be a corroded live connection for the coil - just gave it a test, found nothing, cleaned it up and it sparked fine

Riggy
17-12-05, 01:42 PM
lol get 12v at the coil nick just does fuck all

was gonna rip it out today and fit another lump that i know was running - but im fucked so i cant be arsed lol