PDA

View Full Version : Are the Ecotec engines ne good if not whats wrong with them?

ESXrugbyplaya17
10-12-05, 01:29 PM
Are the Ecotec engines ne good if not whats wrong with them?

Adam
10-12-05, 01:50 PM
lol

What do you mean are they any good.

Nick
10-12-05, 01:51 PM
of course they are any good ! lmfao

they just are a little more resricted due to emmisions purposes. Hence the name ECO, as in Ecowarrior lol (one for phil )

Jack
10-12-05, 02:51 PM
EcoNick to the rescue :lol:

Aren't they about 5bhp down on the redtop?

Adam
10-12-05, 02:58 PM

The X20xev (2L eco) is 136bhp. IIRC

Ben
10-12-05, 03:29 PM
Cost more to release power than XE's but there is loads and loads of power to be released if you have the money.

Nick
10-12-05, 04:51 PM

aye, the X20XEV is 136bhp, found in the later astra GSi's !

Rick draper is using an XEV bottom end on his turbo engine .

I'm all for ECOwarrior engines - it keeps the countryside green and leaves on the tree's lol

Ben
10-12-05, 05:52 PM
Also there a lot more readily avalible and cheaper than overpriced XE's.

ada-v
10-12-05, 05:58 PM
if your gonna get one, try for as late as possible cuz the early ones were pluaged with sensor problems.

figures are about right, tho. 135/136 area.

would still go for a redtop tho, you can find em for only slightly more than an eco engine.

maybe thought of a v6?? rofl, now that would be fun...

Rick Draper
10-12-05, 06:10 PM

aye, the X20XEV is 136bhp, found in the later astra GSi's !

Rick draper is using an XEV bottom end on his turbo engine .

I'm all for ECOwarrior engines - it keeps the countryside green and leaves on the tree's lol

Right let me clear up a few things. I am using a Ecowreck block only for my engine base. Why? Because they have the mounting points cast in the block for a mains girdle to help strengthen the bottom end. Why do they have this? Because IIRC vauxhall wanted to run this in there touring cars and they had to produce engines with it in place or something along those lines.

If i was building a 2ltr nova there would be only one engine i would choose and that is a XE. Why? Because most XEV's will be high millage now as they were all fitted in taxis and performance parts for the XE are far easier to come by. The XE has had far more development put into it as well. Both engines will need a freshen up and i would say most XEV's are due one by now.

ESXrugbyplaya17
10-12-05, 07:14 PM
so does this apply to all ecotec engines then i assume as i am looking into buying a corsa gsi and ive been told not to get the ecotec ones so just looking for sum advice

Adam
11-12-05, 12:07 AM
so does this apply to all ecotec engines then i assume as i am looking into buying a corsa gsi and ive been told not to get the ecotec ones so just looking for sum advice
Corsa GSI had c16xe, a corsa 1.6 sport had the x16xe(eco)
The difference in power is around 4bhp. But the Eco engine has a EGR valve which people dont like. The c16xe has a AFM tho, which has a habit of causing problems.
If its a corsa GSI then it will be a c16xe(non ecotec) as long as no one has changed the engine for a later lump.

TBH i wouldn't bother which i had, for the sake of 3/4bhp it dont really matter.

Whichever you get, just get the aftermarket inlet manifold on there for around a 15-20bhp increase IIRC,
or
THROTTLE BODIES :D
8)

ESXrugbyplaya17
11-12-05, 12:51 AM
cheers mate ne more advice that sum one can add?

dan16v
12-12-05, 12:01 AM
corsa wise i wouldnt worry too much mate! but there is less crap in the bay of an xe corsa!

Ben
12-12-05, 12:09 AM
Corsa GSI had c16xe, a corsa 1.6 sport had the x16xe(eco)

L reg and very early M reg had C16 XE and later M reg and N reg GSi's have the X16 XE. not split on the GSI/Sport line as you put it.

craig green
15-12-05, 04:42 PM
for cheapness, whack in a 2.0 Ecotec. when ragged they free up nicely. They are only a few bhp down on a redtop. They are smoother & quieter with a similar torque output.

you would be going against the grain as they arent common as a donor due to the redtops success.

Loads around & they should be really cheap.