PDA

View Full Version : loss of power on the motorway!

orange_andy
10-12-05, 11:49 AM
first happened to me 3 weeks after getting me 1400 carb SR going down the motorway car wouldnt respond took like 3 seconds to actuall register my foot was on teh pedal before it picked up,

then it wouldnt pick up and speed dropped, pulled over turned car off coz it just stalled for no reason, i was away no problems.

2 weeks later same motorway drive i had to pull over 4 times last nite because it just doesnt pick up any speed and drops untill you have to pull over and it stalls, anyone any ideas what this problem is,

surely it isnt carb iciing as it was a 2 hour motorwa drive surely there is enuff heat to not cause it to bloody freeze,

but its alrite doing town driving i havnt had any problems since the first motorway drive, i mean i drive about for a few hours a night in town no problems, and about 30 mins down motorway now and then no problems

good job i joined the rac, got a bad feeln about going home sunday lolol

Stuart
10-12-05, 12:12 PM
get the car to a krypton tuner for a look over. ?25ish and it will sortout/highlight the problem

we dont need constant posts about this lol

orange_andy
10-12-05, 12:54 PM
what the hell is one of them ? what would it be under in yellow pages ?

Adam
10-12-05, 01:44 PM
what the hell is one of them ? what would it be under in yellow pages ?
Most if not all garages should have the equipment to do it.
Just look in Yellow Pages under car repairs/tuning etc.

Its basically adjusting the fuel mixture, idle speed etc etc.

lauriedatlen
10-12-05, 06:24 PM
I had the same problem with my nova 1.4, i ended up replacing the carb but later found out it just needed tuning cause the new carb did it.

orange_andy
10-12-05, 07:02 PM
thanks lad. anyone got any ideas how much itd cost to fix it this is the problem with the carb ? i dont wanna get ripped off by some cowboys seems as though i dont av a clue what they would be doing

lauriedatlen
10-12-05, 07:11 PM
A tuning costs about ?25-30, although it depends where you go, A brand new carb would cost bout ?100 although a second hand one could be as little as ?15 from a breakers.

Hope this helps

laurie

SGA33
11-12-05, 08:51 AM
My old sr used to do the same thing one minute flying along motorway next minute no power at all.To sort this out i tryed everything until one day a blocked up the vacuum advance pipe to the carb this sorted the loss of power but the car was a bitch till it warmed up. In the end was told that the carb was over fueling itself so making it cut out and misfire so took it to a local rolling road where they sorted it out.

orange_andy
11-12-05, 11:54 AM
so you did the same as the other guy then, got it tuned for like 30? ?

thanks for the advise guys, GREAT NEWS FOR ME, i mean having tp pull over on the motorway while driving 120 miles isnt fun, kinda good news it isnt exactly 100's of pounds to fix it this is whats wrong with it, i think it is like, because it is fine driving 2 hours round town just 40mins down motorway bang goa pull over. cheers lads

Ste_Nova
11-12-05, 02:26 PM
carb icing??

an hour on the rollers should sort it

orange_andy
14-12-05, 01:20 PM
on that note from people, i rang the garages around here and more, no1 had a kyrpton tuner or what ever, but i got advised by one guy. he rekons its there isnt enuff air getting let in with the petrol or something, saying the best thing would be to try going down the motorway and take my petrol cap OFF!!! and if that works wth no problems then its to do with the fuelt tank blocked or something, also said it would be pointless using the krypton, as it might not pick the problem up, what dya reckon to that

NikosNova
17-12-05, 06:16 PM
i had this same problem with my 1400 sr. It started doing it last year at xmas time, and it would always do it after about 20 miles of solid driving, it would then slowly lose power and then eventually stall. THen it started doing it last week, i checke dall my plugs and points etc, but nothing, then i cleaned my air filter, after that it hasnt done it since, so im guessing the problem for me was the air filter, give that a go, i have a bolt on k and n and i hadnt cleaned it since i bought it which is almost 2 years lol.

give that a go anyways

good luck

orange_andy
17-12-05, 06:48 PM
iv actually just ordered a standard filter. seee if that makes a difference

Jim
18-12-05, 12:32 AM
How many times did you need to be told it's carb freezing?

I drove for 2 hours down a motorway and it happened to me. Do you know the air temperature when you are driving at 70mph on an open motorway? In these conditions it'll be plenty cold enough to cause carb freezing.

Like we've ALL been saying from the start, stick a standard air box on over the winter months.

Jim