PDA

View Full Version : Redtop Nova's

novamadman
09-12-05, 09:37 PM
Never seen what all the fuss was about or why everyone seemed to be doing it. But got a run in one last night. Completely standard engine 2. Now i understand what all the fuss is about and why everyone is doing it. Roughly how much does it cost to do a redtop conversion?

Shane

JSeymour
09-12-05, 09:53 PM
I having one put in and evry thing to get it running for ?500. got to get the 2.0 fisrt tough and the money! lol

DaveMarshall
09-12-05, 09:57 PM
They're boring, go for a LET instead. :D

SRimon
10-12-05, 02:18 AM
bout 500 if your handy with a welder and have a tidy shell

MOL
10-12-05, 03:53 AM
dont you need to spend something like ?500 on a fitting kit aswel tho?

or am i just chatting shit? :?

Ste L
10-12-05, 08:48 AM
nah, you dont fella

you've seen the build progress of mine on mnr

all i've bought it a mount, ?30, and inner cv's

Lee
10-12-05, 11:42 AM
They're boring, go for a LET instead. :D

Not everyone has the patience or the skills Mr marshall.

But I agree, XE's do get a tad boring in standard guise. Tune the fook out of it once youve put it in! :lol:

m.d.
10-12-05, 12:00 PM
standard xe novas aint that quick anymore, there is too many other things on the road that keep up now, and they handle gash compared to other cars too,

what you want is an xe on webbers with a set of cams, then they start to become fun, :twisted:

loggyboy
12-12-05, 04:37 PM
standard xe novas aint that quick anymore, there is too many other things on the road that keep up now, and they handle gash compared to other cars too,
what you want is an xe on webbers with a set of cams, then they start to become fun, :twisted:

Couldnt disagree more (other than handling).

i dont think theres a new car u can buy at the mo for under 15k that can compently beat (on a straight run) an xed nova.
and even taking in to account the handling, most people driving a modern car are scared to drive at limits in case the crash their 'pppressshus' - where as if ur snotting it in a nova, if u crash u reshell :)

as for costing - my whole conversion, inc service parts, buying the nova and donor car and many other 'non essential items' cost under ?1000

I dont think u can go faster for 2k let alone 1.

as for adding webbers and cams - i fail to see how adding 20 brake and halving ur MPG can make that much difference

Philsutton
12-12-05, 04:39 PM
they will only handle shit if you set it up badly, for the money its the best way to get a fast car.

loggyboy
12-12-05, 05:06 PM
Not strictly true - to handle well they need alot of moneyt spent on them
uprated suspension for a standard nova (ie stiifer shocks and springs) are litteraly a bare minimum to get an safe handling car.
adjustable shocks are a huge bonus and either coilovers or normal style springs with a high weight rating will help alot too.

its all about distribution with a big block nova - mine weighed in at 780KG (stripped) overal, but 530kg of that was at the front :o thats a huge imbalance.

novalovingned
12-12-05, 05:30 PM
yeah but,no but, yeah but (lol) seriously.............dont you have to get drive shafts and all that capper.how much will that cost and were do i get them

novalovingned

loggyboy
13-12-05, 11:57 AM
yeah but,no but, yeah but (lol) seriously.............dont you have to get drive shafts and all that capper.how much will that cost and were do i get them

novalovingned

depends on what model you start with.
start with a gte and chances are ul have the right drive shafts ul also have the injection tank, lines and pump thats required.
start with a carb model n ul need to change them all.

basicially you need 22spline driveshafts (found on most gtes and some TD novas - they go for about ?20-40 usually).
You retain the Nova GTE outer CVs and use Cav 1.6 mk2 (around 1988) inner CVs (engine number 16SH - GM part no 90278734/90375228)

nova---chris
13-12-05, 04:00 PM
Xe's are boring. Probably for all of us that have had them for years.
But not for the new people.

Ill see how boring mine is once running. (hopefully not that boring)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :o

MARTIN KELSON
13-12-05, 04:52 PM
Started mine up yesterday for first time since nearly September.
Itching to go out in it.
Definetly not boring. Cant think of anything for the money that would touch a Nova 2.0. Always puts a smile on my face anyway.

Gunzi
13-12-05, 06:45 PM
I agree, they aren't boring, as loggy said, not many pansies in their type Rs cooper S etc can match the straight line speed, as proven when I wne to PVD a couple of years back, one poor bugger in his Type R chose the wrong day top go to the pod!

That would put a smile on my face, waving as you pass a car thats worth over 7 times more than what is cost to buy a nova and stuff a red top under the bonnet!!

Granted a cally turbo LETnova would be quicker, but also more costly to build.

NickWalliams
13-12-05, 07:01 PM
Agreed with phil once on coilovers the handling is awesome far better than a small block nova on regular shocks and springs.

Ppl who say they dont handle have either:

1. Never driven or been in an xe Nova
2. Have been in a very bad one.

How can they be boring 140mph??? 0-60 in around 6secs???around 180bhp per tonne :?

Id love to hear someone say a nova LET is boring, now that would be funny :lol:

Your looking at around ?500 for a basic conversion if u do it urself. thats assuming u already have 2.0 brakes and uprated suspension.

scott.parker
14-12-05, 12:29 AM
All i have to say is,if a XE novas is slow or boring,then you best try one on TB's.

Scott

nova---chris
14-12-05, 09:59 AM
http://www.chrisuk22.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/mini-P1010187.JPG

Boring Boring!!! (its only got throttles *cough*

Stuart
14-12-05, 10:50 AM
i had a good ole laugh in seans XE at llandow.... in the stark reality it was torque steering and understeering all the time, but it was a giggle noen the less!
as for chris's mere TB'd effort, pah thats slow and gay :P

Chris
14-12-05, 06:42 PM
in the stark reality it was torque steering and understeering all the time, but it was a giggle noen the less!

I reckon thats because you didnt know how to drive it. It took me a while to learn to drive mine 'quick' but then I have driven others and they have been different altogether. I have mine setup just right (not at the mo as it doesnt have an engine in lol) and I like the way it handles.

Chris

nova---chris
14-12-05, 06:45 PM
And as we know .
ITS GAYYYYYYYY!

Chris
14-12-05, 06:47 PM
very

Lee
14-12-05, 07:13 PM
i had a good ole laugh in seans XE at llandow.... in the stark reality it was torque steering and understeering all the time, but it was a giggle noen the less!
as for chris's mere TB'd effort, pah thats slow and gay :P

Yep, TB's are so yesterday.

1.2 is the new LET :lol: