PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 car. home made kit advise please asap

orange_andy
09-12-05, 01:24 PM
right i know its in another post but need people to see this asap, as im going away for the weekend doing 120 mile.

got the carb icein problem, with k n n filter aint got time to get a standard one

so what im doing is like the k an n heat filter,

im going to put sum card board around the filter where the air goes in, leavin a 4 inch gap at the front. so the hot air can come in,

iv got like a 12inch long piece of cardboard, gonna use tin foil inside it and outside to keep the heat in or out i dunno, then just position that against the Exhaust manifold ? if that it, straight to the gap on the filter, so once im going i should only have got air going in stopin it from icing within first 30 min of driving

what dyas rekon is that safe or will something burn or set alight ?

pissed me off driving fien for 5mins got to a traffic light cut out s hopefully this will make the hot air go into the filter within first minute of driving, stopin the embarassing stals 10minute down the line

CHEERS GUYS ???

Jim
09-12-05, 03:24 PM
You want some advice? Don't be so bloody impatient. How many posts have there been regarding carb icing? We told you ages ago to get a standard one and what do you do? You ignore us.

You even say you are going to get a standard air box. This is what you said 7 days ago:

right, im gonna get a standard box put on then, anyone know how much, what models have the same standard box as the 1.4 sr ??? so i know what to ask for at the scrappy

So instead of doing what you should have done last week, you are leaving it till the last minute and now you are going to put cardboard next to your manifold - genius, pure genius!

Jim

Philsutton
09-12-05, 03:28 PM
ive never had carb icing, an ive run carb'd cars through winter loads of times never had a problem.

Jack
09-12-05, 05:16 PM
Don't forget to install a fire extinguisher, and put the fire service on speed dial :wink:

Seriously... cardboard in engine bay would be a very bad idea. If it doesn't burn when it gets hot, it'll go manky when it gets cold. And thats if it hasn't fallen apart and got entangled in the cambelt, alternator etc.

If you can't get a std filter and don't want to shell out the great expense of ?20 to buy the warm air kit for the K&N then make your own equivalent, but for gods sake use proper material. Its not hard, I managed it!

ANDYRACER
11-12-05, 01:16 AM
Ive got about 4 standard air filters, there not exactly hard to find :roll: But Ste was saying the blue beast was struggling from carb icing on the motorway on the way home friday night. Just get down the scrappers or local novaloader and throw it on. :wink:

orange_andy
11-12-05, 02:33 PM
i know, but when i ring the scrappies up here they dont tell you what car they have if they say sr then its normally just a 1litre

ANDYRACER
11-12-05, 02:34 PM
1.2, 1.3, 1.4 filter are all the same.

Rick Draper
11-12-05, 02:47 PM
You want some advice? Don't be so bloody impatient. How many posts have there been regarding carb icing? We told you ages ago to get a standard one and what do you do? You ignore us.

You even say you are going to get a standard air box. This is what you said 7 days ago:

right, im gonna get a standard box put on then, anyone know how much, what models have the same standard box as the 1.4 sr ??? so i know what to ask for at the scrappy

So instead of doing what you should have done last week, you are leaving it till the last minute and now you are going to put cardboard next to your manifold - genius, pure genius!

Jim

Slimjim thr novaload nominee for the Nobel peace prise.

Nick
11-12-05, 02:55 PM
1.2, 1.3, 1.4 filter are all the same.

no they're not. the 1.4SR box fixments are reversed compared to a 1.2 Carb.

start the car, leave it runing and let it fully warm up - you will have no problems. If you start it from cold, drive round town or hit the motorway straight away you'l have problems.

I was gonna get some silicon hoses for my car, but i'm just going to use cardboard and straws instead now

Philsutton
11-12-05, 02:57 PM
think what he meant was the filter is the same lol not the box

Nick
11-12-05, 03:01 PM
well isn't that obvious ? just pointing out that if this guy goes to a scrapper. the airboxes are not all the same.

treeeees

Jack
11-12-05, 03:41 PM
start the car, leave it runing and let it fully warm up - you will have no problems. If you start it from cold, drive round town or hit the motorway straight away you'l have problems.
Hmm, my hatch used to be ok when cold but crap when warm lol