PDA

View Full Version : SR sills?

Anonymous
20-03-01, 06:22 PM
Im currently making my 1.2 an SR replica,as its cheaper for me and alot more believable.I want to tidy up the sills on my car,the bit below the rub strips,and the cars goin to the bodyshop soon(hopefully) to get the 2 doors,wing and 1 arch sorted.I want to keep the cost down and the replica theme running by spraying the lower parts grey,trouble is I dont know which shade is closest,nor how far inside the side sills under the door it goes,or whether to try reserrecting the compressor n spray nozzle left behind by the bloke who had our house b4 us?please can I have some feed back?

Anonymous
20-03-01, 06:27 PM
Mate most people try to get rid of those big ugly side bits.If it's the part I'm thinkin of(THE VINYL??) I would just leave it whatever colour the car is originally.What color is the motor to start wif?
Fraz

Pink Handbags---Twenty paces! :-)

Anonymous
20-03-01, 10:29 PM
the car's carmine red,which I think is quite a nice shade,however,the reason I am considering doin this is cos the bumpers look odd without the grey down the sills,makes em look more mix n match I think

Anonymous
21-03-01, 12:52 AM
why not just colour code the bumpers then?

Anonymous
21-03-01, 01:01 AM
Colour-code, and make it a GTE replica instead. Actually, I like the original 2-tone colour scheme of the SR, so if you still want to do it that way, you can get the vinyl from Vauxhall (I think)...but it'll probably be expensive.

It may not be a good idea anyway, as it helps rust the spread quicker, as water gets behind it..not good.

With my first Nova (A-reg 3-door 1.2L), I painted the lower body with black hammer-finish Hammerite :p It actually looked ok, believe me or not lol.
I tried for ages the get some grey paint in the right shade, but with no luck.

Anonymous
21-03-01, 05:27 PM
I think the vinyl looks rude on the sr and if you put it on properly it will prevent rust. It can stop stone chipping to a certain degree.

bad bwoy tings a gwan!!

Anonymous
21-03-01, 05:39 PM
surely the bodyshop would know what colour you need or take it to spray shop supplies they would match it for you an sell u the paint i know ford do a bumper grey (excuse me ) so vauxhall should have some thing like that

will get my car finished one day

Anonymous
21-03-01, 07:36 PM
I was thinking rover hurricane grey,but its a bit light

Anonymous
21-03-01, 09:54 PM
Vauxhall antracite? is pretty close

Anonymous
22-03-01, 12:55 AM
Anthracite is metallic though, and it changes from black the silver in the sun, so it might not look right.
I was thinking of doing my bumpers with it, as my mirror brackets are already that colour (the bit between the colour-coded front piece, and the body of the car).
I think it would look good with the car being red?

Anonymous
22-03-01, 11:24 AM
hmmmm,could work,Declan Burkes SR has done that to his bumpers.I would see how your bumpers look on a paintshop program in different colours though,as these can be fun to mess round with your car

Anonymous
22-03-01, 08:14 PM
can't you just get black or grey textured paint and do the bumpers and sides of the car in that?

Anonymous
26-03-01, 12:20 AM
grey bumpers look ok with no Vinyl i think the car looks a lot more up 2 date with the vinyl removed!!

RobDmr@aol.com
xr2 ??? i'd rather walk!

Anonymous
26-03-01, 12:45 AM
bob said "hmmmm,could work,Declan Burkes SR has done that to his bumpers"

I wondered that....I noticed they look shiny grey, as if painted, but wasn't sure.
His Nova looks mint, so I think I WILL do mine....hum....
(go away rain, come back sun.....I want decent weather....I've got painting to do!)