PDA

View Full Version : tinting laws

novamadcars
06-12-05, 09:42 PM
hi im just wondering on what the law is on tinted windows im just wondering how dark you can go cheers

Jack
06-12-05, 09:45 PM
30% front windscreen, 35% front sides. No legal level for rear quarters or rear windscreen.

novamadcars
06-12-05, 09:46 PM
so will 30 % be ok all round then and when buying the tine how will i no what % it is or will it tell me

Jack
06-12-05, 09:49 PM
It should tell you on the box, don't forget some novas (SRs etc) have a slight tint on the glass anyway.

TBH the police can be very anal about tints as well

Dod
06-12-05, 09:50 PM
And over here its 100% Illegal!!! How Bollox is that?

Martin
06-12-05, 10:26 PM
30% front windscreen, 35% front sides. No legal level for rear quarters or rear windscreen.

Havent u got that back wards razor :)

Marc
06-12-05, 10:29 PM
i thought it was illegal to have any tint (unless standard) on the front driver and passenger side windows?

but i know the back is fine

the only reason i say this is because a guy who i worked with went and ask from his tinted and the guy said it was illegal on front and when he went back the guy said we did a vehicle check to make sure you wasnt coppers etc and will do the front cheap lol

Martin
06-12-05, 10:32 PM
the guy who did my m8s just looked outside at the car and saw dat it was a "boyracer" car n sed ye he'll do it...

Jack
06-12-05, 10:36 PM
Right, ignore everything I've said... the legal limit is:

:arrow: 70% tint (i.e. 30% light transmission) on the front windscreen
:arrow: 75% tint (i.e. 25% light transmission) on the windows "either side of the drivers head".

BUT

Its not in the MOT test. You cant' fail an MOT for having overly tinted windows. So if you get pulled and fined for having windows that are too dark, saying "but it passed the MOT with them" is no excuse.

Also, if a window tinter fits illegal tints to your car, I believe they will be liable for prosecution as well.

Martin
06-12-05, 10:40 PM
you also get 3points....

F188CHG
06-12-05, 10:48 PM
Bit harsh :o

Martin
06-12-05, 11:01 PM
yup this lass i no got banned for it.. she had 3 poitns for speeding,, then 3 for tints.... and got banned with it bin her 1st/2nd year driving

boredbloke
06-12-05, 11:58 PM
oh the sympathy i have for her...

novamadcars
07-12-05, 08:16 PM
i will be giving tinting the windows a go myself and only plan on doing the back and back sides

JSeymour
08-12-05, 06:15 PM
dont do it your self! never seen a good DIY tint job.
you can fail an MOT if you have a sun strip that goes into the wiper path.

Jack
08-12-05, 06:43 PM
I've tinted my own windows and it was a top job. Just be patient and practice.

And my Opel sunstrip went into my wiper blades with both the oversized blades (which covered to about 2mm below the top edge of the windscreen lmfao) and standard blades (over by about 5mm).

novamadcars
09-12-05, 11:38 PM

well its worth a go mate and i do remember seeing a good diy job on a rear window cant remember who done it but it was ace

and i wont be having a sun strip thats what the sun visors are for :wink:

F188CHG
10-12-05, 12:00 AM
Am doing the 3 bk my self done my last nova sr, Mint job pish if you have the windows oot :wink:

novamadcars
10-12-05, 12:25 AM
the windows will be coming out nova freek when i can be assed lol

Timmy
10-12-05, 11:54 AM
so what the eastist ways to do tints windows out and cmpletley cover them when there out ?

boredbloke
10-12-05, 12:12 PM
yeah and use plenty of water on the glass while your smoothing it out,

also don't forget to leave 1cm (anyone else wana confirm that?) all the way around the window or else it'll pull with continous pulling etc while the window goes up n down.

Jack
10-12-05, 02:34 PM
also don't forget to leave 1cm (anyone else wana confirm that?) all the way around the window or else it'll pull with continous pulling etc while the window goes up n down.
You can go right up to the edge, but seal it with nail varnish. I had about 1-2mm gap round the edge of mine between the tint and the edge of the glass.

Lee
10-12-05, 08:07 PM

DIY tinting never comes out right first time. My mates EX had 3 cars within a year, and tinted the windows herself. First two cars looked like they had been sprayed with a bubble gun!! Her third car came out really well!

So if your going to DIY, get plenty of tint cos you WILL fuck it up the first few times.

And as for the sun strip. Id get around that problem by buying some stubby wipers. If id fitted a sunstrip that interfered with my wipers, i wouldnt be able to see fuck all anyway cos im 6' 3 , so who cares if its raining :lol: