PDA

View Full Version : RUST AND ROT!

Mrblonde
06-12-05, 05:32 PM
Hey all need some advice.

Had some rot on my arches that has been first scrapped then filed and finally sanded down!

Primer then painted ! and 1 week later the rot is coming through again?

Should i have used some rot/rust treatment and if so where can i get some from halfords? etc

Or is it a true myth once rot/rust is in its in for life?

Iain
06-12-05, 05:54 PM
Try some Kurust from Halfords. It helps, but all the rust-killing I've done seems to come back in time.

NickWalliams
06-12-05, 05:57 PM
The only way to treat rot is to remove it!

Mrblonde
06-12-05, 05:58 PM
Cheers pal!

ive been told to use smoothright? not sure what thats all about guess ill have to look into it thanks anyway!

Adam
06-12-05, 06:11 PM
Smoothright is just Hammerite.
As already said, you cant stop it spreading.
On my old car i used Kurust, primer etc etc, and it still came back.

sickrabbit
06-12-05, 06:22 PM
Been fighting the dreaded brown stuff for a few months on the driving side rear arch....had enough yesterday , so I cut a large lump of the rot away treted it and filled it all with mesh and isopon. However - I aint holdin my breath , I fear in the long run it,ll return....good engines Vauxhall - but the bodies hate the uk climate.

paul james
06-12-05, 06:35 PM
It is possible to stop rust, but arches are particularily annoying. Dont just fix the arches from the outside though, as its from the inside that they rust, as moisture likes to sit in there. Cut out all the rust, be brave and get rid of as much surrounding metal as you can too. I use hammerite paint as a base, then use primer and normal paint on top. Once the paint is dry spray waxoil inside the arch.

sickrabbit
06-12-05, 10:26 PM
I agree - its from behind where the trouble starts ( ooooer missus ) I cut as much out as dared , treated the wound with rust preventer ( the panel was slightly opening) , let it all dry then used alloy mesh and isopon from the rear of the arch to bridge the hole . After letting it all go off using the same mesh oozing isopon , a rim shape was slapped into place . Again when it was solid the remaining hole at the front was filled with isopon and left over night . This morning after much sandind and shaping the panel looks cool and the arch not too bad at all. On the interior of the arch , more isopon was used , smeard all over the meshed area and after solidifying , wax sealed . Primed this afternoon , hopefully painted in the morning. WEATHER PERMITTING. :evil:
Sorry folks no pics as yet , cam is playing up .....

Will F
07-12-05, 09:07 AM
Just cut out the offending area and replace with fresh metal.