PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1.2 Carb Probs

KRIS_537
06-12-05, 08:59 AM
Hi I need help with my Nova its a 1.2 automatic carb that is standard except for the back box. the problem started that when driving and you put your foot down when it reaches a certain rpm its like it hits a rev limiter.

So I checked the obvious that fuel was getting in which it was. checked all the spark plugs etc. Put carb clean direct into the carb. No luck sorting it what so ever. :evil:

Then the engine carb light light comes on on idle and stall the car. but the prob above has gone if by magic :o

can anyone help me please as im new to this site i have not found anything yet.

Stuart
06-12-05, 10:00 AM
erm wtf is an automatic carb?

what is your engine number?

as the carb has no light to the dash, bar the choke light lol.

im guessing you might just have a 1.2i (single point injection)

KRIS_537
06-12-05, 10:05 AM
hi what i ment was that the choke is automatic no control of it inside the car. its a J reg car.

It prob is the choke light, i was just guessing what it was. the car runs fine now when driving. its when you come to a stand still and the engine suddenly builds up revs then stalls.

It think something is cutting the fuel to the engine. :roll:

orange_andy
06-12-05, 10:39 AM
i had similar weird problems mate, i got a 1.4 manual carb,. for no reason coming down the motorway put my foot down the car didnt go anywhere untill about 5 seconds delay, shat me self thought i was gonna fall victim to the motorway, then driving around town it did the same, THEN coming home down the motorway (talkin 120mile) it wouldnt pick up at all i was in 5th gear doin 70, put me foot down nothing, let of accel big problem, then i cudnt pick up speed went to 4th, high revved no power, 3rd same, pulled over stopped for 10mins then i was fine, :S:S got sum carb cleaner, and my exhaust was a lil loose, and handbrake cable was catchn, hopefully that was it coz i aint had the problem since, and im going down the motorway again friday,

best advice go to a garage and ask them to check, problems

KRIS_537
06-12-05, 11:38 AM
my exhaust is blowing by the centre box would that cause the problem. orange_andy yeah i had that prob on my car now its gone and just stallz at idle :evil:

Stuart
06-12-05, 01:35 PM
have you got a K&N(style) pankcake filter on it?

the carb could be icing... sounds like youve got a 1.3 carb on then it its an autochoke

KRIS_537
06-12-05, 01:41 PM
it is def an auto choke. there no k and n its all standard apart from the back box. its been working fine for months.

novalovingned
06-12-05, 01:46 PM
i would check the fuel pump it might be clogged wit shit (just a thought) the fuel might be getting through in big amounts eg when u accelarate but when u idle smaller amounts of fuel might not be able to get through the filter

novalovingned

KRIS_537
06-12-05, 01:49 PM
it was wired the problem with the accerleration has now gone. just at idle it stall with the carb light coming on. is it a sensor or something needin cleaning.. the car did it before when i first had it. had to get new card.

orange_andy
06-12-05, 02:42 PM
i dunno what my problem was :S possible the exhaust cant see how like to cause no power to the wheels :S but its been fine since. and carb cant of iced while i was driving

Snowface
06-12-05, 08:01 PM
j-reg 1.2 with a 1.3 auto choke?

sure its not a 1.2i?

KRIS_537
06-12-05, 11:17 PM
its is def a 1.2 with auto choke. its the second time this has happened since i have had the vechile does no one have or had the the same prob and know whats wrong.

Snowface
07-12-05, 04:18 PM
is it a 1.2carb or injection?
open the bonnet and see if the cambelt cover is squared off or round at the top.

KRIS_537
07-12-05, 04:23 PM
is it a 1.2carb or injection?
open the bonnet and see if the cambelt cover is squared off or round at the top.

hi its a single point injection. i thought it was carb but i was told im wrong. :oops: :oops: :oops:

KRIS_537
12-12-05, 08:10 AM
I still cant solve the problem has anyone got any ideas whats wrong please help

Stuart
12-12-05, 09:07 AM
look on www.topbuzz.co.uk for the diagnostics info. flash out the fault code and see whats wrong that way.

KRIS_537
12-12-05, 09:10 AM
how would you get the fault codes. would that be a vauxhall job or could i get it done at any garage.