PDA

View Full Version : fog/driving/spot lights

gary_1.2Merit
05-12-05, 06:44 PM
what is the difference between the 3 and what are the laws. i do a lot of country driving in the dark and the main beam isnt bright enough. i need more lights! what are the best to get and how to fit?

Jack
05-12-05, 09:12 PM
Driving and spot lights are the same. They're additional lights that come on with your full beam - I had my lamps on my old nova wired in as driving lamps.

Foglights are for use when its foggy (i.e. visibility is <100 metres). They can be operated independently to full beam.

Also the light pattern tends to be different - driving/spot lamps tend to have a longer narrower pool of light, whilst foglamps illuminate a wider but shallower area in front of the car. I think if you look on the box for Ring lamps they usually show the pattern of light for fog lamps and driving lamps.

IIRC you can get the usual 3 points for driving with foglights on when its not foggy, but not sure about driving lights. I would assume if they operate independently of the full beam they're treated as foglights in the eyes of the law.

amggsi
06-12-05, 09:26 PM
I have the fog lights wired up to my main beam on my 306, as driving lamps really, and have passed MOT with them and Mr. Policeman hasn't had anything to say about them either.

gary_1.2Merit
07-12-05, 05:42 PM
so do they come on when the main beam is on or via a switch. do i need to use a relay to make them work?

Timmy
07-12-05, 07:28 PM
i was thinking of running a set of four on the motor to give it that rally look. i was going to run all four on a fog light switch in cab and then have a cut off for one set under the bonnet for when its foggy. so use two for foggy legal use and four for shows and so on. any body got ideas on mounting i was thinking about bracket screwed into bumper bars mounting though the back of the bumper in the gap under the no plate

Jack
07-12-05, 07:32 PM
I think you can buy pre-made brackets for adding bumper lights and light pods to novas, but don't quote me on that. Might be worth asking one of the members who competes in rallying - novaben, bigruss etc.

so do they come on when the main beam is on or via a switch. do i need to use a relay to make them work?
look at it like this:
:arrow: With main beam only = driving lights
:arrow: Independent to main beam = foglights

All the wiring kits I've used for adding extra lights required a relay. You could probably pick up a kit on ebay for a couple of quid.