PDA

View Full Version : HELP, much appreciated

MattNova
02-12-05, 01:23 PM
drivin round on my dinner break today i noticed that my window had steamed up, i turned on my blower to full power (no probs) after a few mins i noticed that only cold air was coming out :? i turned up the heat and still no luck, basically i cant get any heat from my heater :(

any ideas much appreciated

cheers Matt

Adam
02-12-05, 01:26 PM
How long were you driving for.

There will be no hot air until the coolant is hot enough in the heater matrix to warm the incoming air.

MattNova
02-12-05, 02:14 PM
Yeahm that was my first thought, but i was driving for about 30 mins in total and it did not get any better :( it usually takes about 5/10mins

MattNova
03-12-05, 01:26 PM
update:

ok now i have noticed that the heater works some of the time, mainly when the engine has not been running long. when i was out in it the other day i turned on my heater and it was blowing hot air. but after about 10mins of driving it was blowing cold again :? now im realy confused.

anyone care to enlighten me??

cheers Matt

Donova
03-12-05, 03:58 PM
Air lock in system,or thermostat sticking? :?:

MattNova
04-12-05, 10:48 AM
how can i check that?

mikey14sr
04-12-05, 05:44 PM
In the colder weather if your'e driving at speed a while the airflow through the rad can be so effective that the coolant temp drops below the temp needed for the thermostat to be open. I have experienced this on every car I've owned, particulary with nova's. It happened to me the other week when going up to elvington airfield, once I'd slowed down to go through the villages the temp soon came back.
The best way to combat it is to block off about half of the rad with a thick piece of card, the lid from last nights pizza box is ideal :!: , just put it in front of the rad behind the grille and you should see a more constant temperature on the gauge and more importantly through the heater.

Adam
04-12-05, 07:42 PM
In the colder weather if your'e driving at speed a while the airflow through the rad can be so effective that the coolant temp drops below the temp needed for the thermostat to be open. I have experienced this on every car I've owned, particulary with nova's. It happened to me the other week when going up to elvington airfield, once I'd slowed down to go through the villages the temp soon came back.
The best way to combat it is to block off about half of the rad with a thick piece of card, the lid from last nights pizza box is ideal :!: , just put it in front of the rad behind the grille and you should see a more constant temperature on the gauge and more importantly through the heater.
I get this too.
My temp guage will be at the first mark after blue.
If i am going at 70mph for a few mins it drops down to touching the blue section.

MattNova
05-12-05, 08:09 AM
right...well i'll give that a try today.

cheers Matt