PDA

View Full Version : K n N not good for car, true or false.

orange_andy
02-12-05, 01:15 PM
iv heard numerous talk about nova sr 1.4 with pankcake filter been bad for the car in winter, making harder to start is this true, is there much point in going and getting a standard one to use for cold mornings or just weekdays ? would it actually make any diff

Adam
02-12-05, 01:21 PM
Yes its true, some people do say there car cuts out etc in winter due to carb icing.
But in summer they are fine.

MattNova
02-12-05, 02:18 PM
yes my nova sufferes from carb icing :( but most winters i put my standard air box back on, all that it means if i dont is that i have to drive most places (not so much on long journys) with my choke out, can be a bit annoying.
however K&N do sell a "heater kit", all that it does i lead a hot air (from manifold, like std air box) to the K&N. i haven't got one, but i rekon some1 on here has.

orange_andy
02-12-05, 03:38 PM
right, im gonna get a standard box put on then, anyone know how much, what models have the same standard box as the 1.4 sr ??? so i know what to ask for at the scrappy

Mike
02-12-05, 03:40 PM
look for any SR, or erm i think some variations of the 1.2

Nick
02-12-05, 06:27 PM
the 1.2 carb has a different airbox....

i found the K&N made no difference, infact maybe even a downgrade. ok it makes a little bit of an induction roar (using roar very lightly) but i found it made the car idle worse, in winter it suffered continously from carb icing - it had a negetive effect on fuel consumption and there was no change in power or torque

orange_andy
02-12-05, 07:31 PM
thats the same as any car my last car i added a normall air filter with forced cold air feed right into the filter made no difference that u can feel

Jack
03-12-05, 12:41 PM
lol they did a test in TV mag of a range of different air filters. The K&N came out worst, I think best was something like a replacement panel filter. I've got the test results somewhere but I can't be arsed to look thru the pile of magazines to find it right now!

orange_andy
06-12-05, 11:09 AM
this mite sound mad but i think its good D>I>Y
i aint having to many problems with carb icing i dont think due to it not been "that cold as it was few weeks ago" but would simply wrapping couple layers of tin foil around me k n n pancake filter, leaving only a gap where i just put a tube from like the manifold help me car, in theory surely itd would, would keep the heat in the filter, possibly cold out more than the open k % n ?

novalovingned
06-12-05, 01:57 PM
mmmm maybe thats y my car wont start. ive got a 1.2 carb and i found that when i put my k+n pancake on its got better acceleration in 2nd that is all

novalovingned

orange_andy
06-12-05, 02:38 PM
to be onest i think they are bull**** had them on a few cars make no diff at all, didnt even give me 1mph more top speed with a forced cold air feed, they dont make a difference that you would actually feel,

Jack
06-12-05, 09:22 PM
would simply wrapping couple layers of tin foil around me k n n pancake filter, leaving only a gap where i just put a tube from like the manifold help me car, in theory surely itd would, would keep the heat in the filter, possibly cold out more than the open k % n ?
Then you'd be severely restricting the air flow into the engine - the benefit of a K&N (using "benefit" in the loosest sense of the word) is that its a 'free-flow' filter, i.e. allows more the air to flow into the engine better.

orange_andy
06-12-05, 11:12 PM
shit ill have to take it off tomoro before i set off then :P

KRIS_537
07-12-05, 12:41 PM
i find that the k&n work well in the standard airbox with a cold air feed direct into the box. if you remove the box and have a direct replacment then the hot air from the engine travels into the intake and is harder to compress.

my adivce if you want a k&n is to replace the standard air filter and not a induction kit.

Stuart
07-12-05, 01:02 PM
hot air is easier to compress as the same volume is less dense..... simple physics really.

but yes a K&N type filter on carbed models is "bad" in winter. either get the expensive hearter kit OR replace with std airbox till spring.

dan16v
07-12-05, 11:10 PM
when me and all my friends had carb'd cars with k n n's on i used to take them to work and tack weld a 40mmish* peice of pipe onto the metal sandwich plate then run some tin/ally flexi pipe to go from the stub pipe on the exhaust manifold (for the std hot air feed) to the new stub peice welded on the sandwich plate! never had a problem!

ade
08-12-05, 01:41 PM
I had real probs with my K&N - flogged it for a ram air.

Summut to do with the metal on the k&N condensed the cold air quicker and when really cold formed condensation which iced up v quickly!

Was a real pain in the anus.

The ram air one was MUCH better. Its all foam on the top - does the same job though.

You can get warm air kits for the K&N - theyre about ?15.