PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearing

novamadcars
01-12-05, 07:09 PM
hi last week i changed my front passenger side wheel bearing as i had a funny noise and asumed it was the wheel bearing as ive had that problem befor so i put new bearings in and took the car for a spin and the noise is still thair any ideas of what i could be? cheers

mowgli
01-12-05, 07:33 PM
the trouble with wheel bearings is that it always sounds like the gearbox has gone, irrespective of which side. it could be the drivers side one.
or the bearings could be shot in the gearbox

novamadcars
01-12-05, 07:58 PM
cheers mate will change the drivers side bearings on sunday and see what happens

beavy69
01-12-05, 10:03 PM
check your wheel balance and suspsion too. The struts can make noises like the wheel bearing and this can be accentuated by an out of balance wheel.

novamadcars
03-12-05, 09:38 PM
so what you saying is that i should get my wheels ballanced?
And ive also noticed when i turn left and the wheel lifts a little bit off the road the noise seems 2 go but as soon as the wheels back on the road the noise is back :x

novamadcars
04-12-05, 06:14 PM
well 2day my mate crusty came round 2 look at the passenger side hub. He decided 2 change it. After a hours work on the hub changing and the wheel back on we took the car for a test drive and the noise has gone .

beavy69
06-12-05, 06:55 PM
Good to hear mate but two things you must check/remember:

1) Did you tighten up the castle nut to the corrct torque. They require allot of tightening with a big wrench as if they are a little loose this will not support the bearing enough and it will wear quicker.

2) Also if you have lowered your car then your camber will be out which will stress the bearing as it is at the wrong angle (and will wear your tyres quicker too). I have had this problem for ages and am on my third bearing. I have now got some force adjusting bolts that go in the top hole on the lower mount on the suspension strutt. As you turn them they move the arm out and change the camber. I have not fitted mine yet as you need a geometry machine that garages have and I have not had time.

Or check out http://www.nova-land.com/ and look at the suspension camber mod. This I can't vouch for as there is only one measurement for the new hole and he doesn't say how low he lowered his car but its worth a look. Let me know how you get on am I will likewise.

novamadcars
06-12-05, 06:59 PM
not lowered as of yet and i have a torque rench

beavy69
11-12-05, 11:29 PM
Good, somthing to bare in mind then.

novamadcars
12-12-05, 12:18 AM
defently mate