PDA

View Full Version : Brake problem

Nick
30-11-05, 08:11 PM
left my car sitting for about 6-7weeks...

Then when i came home and used it, the front brakes suddenly stopped working - They pull the car to the left alot, and are very very very faded

I jacked it up, and noticed that both of the rear/inside pads on the front disks were basically cracked and had shattered off the metal backplate (due to water getting behind them and rusting)

I changed the pads, but noticed that the front right caliper piston was very very hard to push back in to get sufficient clearence to install the new pad.

I drove down the road and it was no better, still poor braking and pulling the the left badly - The right caliper then siezed on.

When ignition is on, and engine running you can hear air being relased into the atmosphere from the passenger footwell - just like when you turn the ignition off and pump the brake pedal untill it goes hard.

Stripped the caliper and inside there was alot of corrosion, rebuilt and cleaned but i havn't driven it yet.

Does it sound like there is a servo issue ? as i'm not convinced that rebuilding the right caliper would have fixed the problem.

Thanks - Btw they are ATE 16v calipers

mowgli
30-11-05, 08:28 PM
there could be a servo problem, but it wouldn't cause the brakes to do what they are doing.
What sort of rear brakes are you using?

Timmy
30-11-05, 08:29 PM
if that was me i just fit new one alll together, its your brakes the only thing to stop you when doing 30 or 70 , my opion

Nick
30-11-05, 10:35 PM
there could be a servo problem, but it wouldn't cause the brakes to do what they are doing.
What sort of rear brakes are you using?

running standard drums on the rear. I left it to have the caliper rebuilt and wont be back for the next few weeks.

I was just worried about the pedal feeling very very spongey and the air-atmosphere noise from the passenger footwell !

Surely a sticky piston will not cure all of that ?

Nick
30-11-05, 10:36 PM
of course the pulling to the left, and the pads on the right nearly setting alight will be all good now.

just not convinced the other problems are related - just wanted some opinions really !

Adam
01-12-05, 12:58 AM
You must have a leak from the servo-pedal joint on the bulkhead in the passenger footwell.
If you sure its not coming from the vacuum pipe on the inlet manifold?