PDA

View Full Version : >NOVA SR< are we doomed for the next 2 months ????

orange_andy
30-11-05, 09:42 AM
seems more and more likely my car is gonna be cutting out for no reason hasnt happened much and i hear people talk about it today it happend 4 times in a row, spossidly down to the cold and the carbs, well this winter is supposed to be the coldest in 50years, they say -50 does that mean we might aswell either go tuck our carbed novas up now, or go buy a flame thrower and stand there for 5minutes torching the engines just to get it half warm enuff to run ?

mad-driver
30-11-05, 12:39 PM
if you have an aftermarket filter put your old airbox back on, failing that use a pipe to feed hot air from the manifold to the filter, mine is the same dont worry :wink:

orange_andy
30-11-05, 12:50 PM
i was pissed off because it hasnt done that before. and it wasnt that cold compared to what it has been, also had been driving a good 5mins before it started to do it so i was like :S why is it doing that it isnt like i just set off down the road. its got a k&n (pancake?) filter on i think its called. how is that standard filter gonna make any difference ? does it make it alot better with standard filter or pipe to (exhaust ?) manifold not looking forward to these cold temps gonna be embarrasing if it just cuts out all the time

Col_Mk1
30-11-05, 01:24 PM
i was p**s off because it hasnt done that before. and it wasnt that cold compared to what it has been, also had been driving a good 5mins before it started to do it so i was like :S why is it doing that it isnt like i just set off down the road. its got a k&n (pancake?) filter on i think its called. how is that standard filter gonna make any difference ? does it make it alot better with standard filter or pipe to (exhaust ?) manifold not looking forward to these cold temps gonna be embarrasing if it just cuts out all the time

k ns make them hard start in cold what ive always heard

Ojc
30-11-05, 02:02 PM
well this winter is supposed to be the coldest in 50years, they say -50?

:lol: :lol: minus 50, this is England not Siberia.

Mike
30-11-05, 03:18 PM
HA HA, i did suffer from this up until yesterday when i got my Peirburg 2E3 cleaned out and rejetted with new gaskets, including an in line filter, new fuel tank and a gasket between the carb and filter! 8)

Starts first time every tmie!

It cut out on my going round a motorway island! lol not pleasant!

No more kagaroo'ing about for me im afraid! :lol:

Col_Mk1
30-11-05, 04:44 PM
found sumthing may help lad

K&N Winter Hot Air Kit ? 20.00

In the depths of winter, cars fitted with the very free flowing chrome topped pancake type air filters can occasionally suffer from carb icing (cold air is great for performance but sometimes you really can have too much of a good thing). K&N's hot air kit includes air hosing, hose to filter adapter and perspex sheet to shield the filter. Supplied with full instructions, this kit takes only minutes to fit and remove

http://www.tuning.co.uk/vauxshop/media/85-5158.jpg

20 pound heres phone number 01543 252010

Jack
30-11-05, 05:02 PM
^ screw ?20, make your own for free lol

well this winter is supposed to be the coldest in 50years, they say -50?

:lol: :lol: minus 50, this is England not Siberia.
LMFAO thats like north pole temperatures :lol:

Mike
30-11-05, 06:18 PM
perspex heatsheild! sounds as much use a chocolate fireguard! :lol:

Nath
30-11-05, 06:46 PM
stick your standered air box back on. i havnt had any problems with my carbed nova this year, or have in in the past with any of my novas.

scott.parker
30-11-05, 08:59 PM
Get a box that will fit over the engine,line it out with insulation(can be fiberglass type from in the loft etc,or any realy) line the box fist of with tinfoil and then the insulation,and then more tinfoil,run the cars engine just long enough to get it wam before you go inside for the night,drop the box over and it should help keep heat in and stop the carbs iceing over. :wink:

Scott

Mike
30-11-05, 09:15 PM
well planned scott.

although while my dad's aay working North yorkshire, i favour the old indor parking of a nice cosy garage! 8)

scott.parker
30-11-05, 09:42 PM
It's an old trick my dad use to use back in the 60's :lol:

orange_andy
30-11-05, 10:22 PM
i like that idea scott, what do i put the box over the engine bit it self or over where the air filter is

scott.parker
30-11-05, 10:56 PM
If you can get a box that fits over the engein it self then yes,els otherwise just over the air box and intake.

Scott

Mike
01-12-05, 12:21 PM
Although i hadmy card rejetted/cleaned out, it done it again this morning!

ive had enough, so my spare SRi engine is gonna be broke and my SR converetd to fuel injection me thinks :|

Col_Mk1
01-12-05, 12:38 PM
Although i hadmy card rejetted/cleaned out, it done it again this morning!

ive had enough, so my spare SRi engine is gonna be broke and my SR converetd to fuel injection me thinks :| :lol:

my nova started first tym 2 day dint cut out 8)

Mike
01-12-05, 02:03 PM
mines starts first time everytime, but at or above 70mph, it starts to cut out and at low reves like at traffic likes etc.

in selling up soon anyway for a corsa gsi or pug 106 gti as im starting to get pished of at unreliable carb engines.

im getting all the welding + strengthening done then bye bye nova i think :|

orange_andy
01-12-05, 09:56 PM
dont get a corsa corsas are AWFULLL LITTLE THINGS, your car cuts out at 70mph ??? if that happened to me id just sell it straight away bollox to that crap

Jack
01-12-05, 10:01 PM
I still reach for the choke now.... and I've not driven a Nova for 10 months :lol:

Mike
02-12-05, 06:12 AM
Choke? never knew jap enginerring had those funny little things? lol :lol:

SRlew
05-12-05, 09:27 PM
ha ha :lol:
i went to home to devon last monday and soon as we got to devon the carb kept freezing, there me and my bro are wth 2 big bags of clothes and 5alloys in the back, as you know SR's dont like wheight.

well we got to a hill and the car was just jumping and slowing down to about 20 with my foot to the floor and we were trying to go up a hill :lol:

so as you can imagine the people behind us werent to happy :lol:

so im off to
buy a pipe to go from the manifold to the k&n.

dont know bout the rest but mine makes a well good sound when i drive it in the morning, sounds like a scooby or sumin. but goes when it warms up.

orange_andy
06-12-05, 10:46 AM
your carb was freezing while u were driving ??? dont see the point in buyin a pipe, the engine bay is small and tight, once the engines hot then that goes into the air filter anyways, the pipe will make no difference in my mind because it will be getting hot air around the filter by the time it goes through the pipe any ways, i mite try putting cardboard around me filter or something

Jack
06-12-05, 08:18 PM
^ if you're moving you'll have cold air rushing into the engine bay. I got over it on my hatch by making a temporary heatshield out of duct tape over all the vents on the front... only problem was when the car was stood in traffic you had to turn the engine off else it would overheat :lol:

Choke? never knew jap enginerring had those funny little things?
Thats the whole point, my car doesn't have one... :wink: :lol:

well we got to a hill and the car was just jumping and slowing down to about 20 with my foot to the floor and we were trying to go up a hill...

dont know bout the rest but mine makes a well good sound when i drive it in the morning, sounds like a scooby or sumin. but goes when it warms up.
You were probably flooding the carb if you had your foot on the floor! And as for sounding like a scooby when it starts, is it firing on all cylinders? My hatch was on 3 when the head gasket went and sounded a bit poobaru-like lol

craig green
09-12-05, 10:51 AM
I had carb-icing on my old 1.2 years back. ran fine bit wouldnt idle. Even after a drive down the motorway for 30 miles it was still iced. In fact all that day it kept stalling.

orange_andy
09-12-05, 01:13 PM
im gonna go see what i got in the garage to take the heat from the engine bay into the k n n and use cardboard around hte back of the k n n just like what you pay 30pound for the k n nkit lol

slammed saloon
12-12-05, 07:56 PM
last of the sr's it says on ur profile that u got twin 40's they shudn ice up after a bit of a drive cuz they tucked down the back of the engine all warm n snug. how much you gona sell it for

Jack
12-12-05, 09:08 PM
At 70mph you have a lot of cold air going in the engine bay...