PDA

View Full Version : what do u guys think?

jamie gsi16v
29-11-05, 11:26 PM
does this engine spec sound any good and does the bhp readout sound correct? im possibly buying the car with this engine in, is there any way i can tell all this stuff has definatly been done without reciepts to proove?

The engine was rebuilt about 6000 miles ago and was bored +1mm making it 1640cc using Kolbenschmit pistons. The con rods were lightened, polished and balanced. The flywheel is lightened and was balanced on the crank as a full unit. The engine was rebuilt with ARP bolts in the rods a new oil pump and a corsa gsi alloy baffled sump. the head has been ported and polished skimmed and all the valves re seated. Its matched to the inlet and exhaust manifolds. The cam is a kent fast road with uprated springs and followers, with a vernier pulley. The engine was rebuilt using genuine gaskets and was run in for 1000 miles on running in oil.The engine runs a standard ECU with a recent distributor with 8mm leads, FSE power boost valve and gauge set at 3 bar with astra gsi 3.5 bar fuel pump. It was set up on a rolling road showing 140 BHP@ 6000rpm flywheel and 110BHP@ wheels.

also would it gain much from a uprated ecu?

any suggestions welcome.

Will F
30-11-05, 09:29 AM
a load of tosh mate.
140 from standard fueling???

Nope! :D

burgo
30-11-05, 09:30 AM
i say between 115-120 on standard fueling

jamie gsi16v
30-11-05, 10:09 AM
whats the next action to be taken then, re mapped ecu? will this give it much more bhp or am i better putting 40's on, trying not to up the fuel consumption much? what about nitrous, i have a kit lying around at home doing nothing?

Gunzi
30-11-05, 11:12 AM
Fit 40's you'll see a much better gain than with a remapped ECU. I'd agree with the others and say about 115-120bhp with that spec.

The fuel consumption is only as bad as your right foot is heavy! Plus if you're worries about fuel consumption don't buy a modified engine!

Oh and fit the nitrous kit, just don't go silly on the size of the shot!

Snowface
30-11-05, 11:25 AM
110bbhp at the fly more like.

only thing that'll up the power from 100 is the cam, slight overbore and the ported head.

Unless its a 1.6 16v your talking about?

jamie gsi16v
30-11-05, 03:05 PM
no its just an 8v, so 140 bhp just isnt right at the flywheel? he seems very honest and genuine and reakons he had the vernier setup on the rollin road and it read 140bhp @ 6000rpm?

Snowface
30-11-05, 03:11 PM
at 6000rpm!
thats closer to turbo figures.

Do you know what torque it is?

Is the engine still in the car (can you have a test drive)?

jamie gsi16v
30-11-05, 03:15 PM
iv bought the car, the engines in it and running, everything seems fine. surely turbo figures should be alot higher than that? a standard 2ltr 16v is 150ish bhp at 6.100 rpm

Gunzi
30-11-05, 03:25 PM
I think the turbo figures comment was referring to where the peak power is in the power band. My old 1.6 8v's peak power was around 5,250 rpms.

Rolling Roads vary in their output, two rolling roads could read different power/torque figures for the same car on the same day in the same circumstances. Also the flywheel measurement is somewhat of an estimate from the wheels figure, which is what is measureed.

The best way of determining how fast the car is, is to take it to Santa Pod or another drag strip, when the open up for next year.

P.S if it was setup at a rolling road then there should be a print out "proving" his claim of 140bhp!!

jamie gsi16v
30-11-05, 04:38 PM
yes but as you say you only get the bhp output of the wheels? the rr he went to was mechanical clocks not computorised? and goin up the strip doesnt proove power, just driving skills, setoff, gear change etc etc just wondered with these mods wether his output seemed right?