PDA

View Full Version : Cold Morning starting problems

SPipower
29-11-05, 11:10 AM
Hey folks i got a 1.2 mk 2 nove and in the morning very tempremental, i replaced the sparkies the other day and thought it would help, it starts ok then revs go down and just stalls i have to wait for about 5 minutes before trying it again, just before it stalls i get a random sucking noice from beneith the bonnet all the hoses from the air box are in the right places so dunno whats going on i sprayed WD40 on all the contacts HT-leads dizzy and usual electrical goodies and not really any difference apart from a lovely cooking WD40 smell, so if anyone can help then wicked. :onfire:

orange_andy
29-11-05, 12:04 PM
does it have a choke. mines does the same thing with the choke, engine just needs time to warm up ect, mine makes weird noises when its really cold, makes a noise like something has snapped, when it stalls,

is it carbed or petrol injection ? if its carb then just learn to deal with it not alot you can do

SPipower
29-11-05, 01:06 PM
Its a petrol injection and when it stalls it makes that weird snap noise very crazy cars,i would let it warm up it just stools the minute i put my foot on the pedal then when i turn the key it doesnt sound like its firing just making continues noise if that makes sence..

Good old Vauxhall

sickrabbit
29-11-05, 03:34 PM
You say you,ve sprayed the leads and dizzy with wd40 - I,d go one further and take the alternator cap off and check the dizzy rotor arm. These things can work ( only just ) when worn , so I,d check that then replace both if needed.
Mine hates the cold n all - makes some strange noises before it warms up..
......roll on springtime.

SPipower
30-11-05, 12:25 AM
Yeah i took it apart and checked the rota arm got a little crack on it where it plugs to the car, so i think i may have to replace it, gonna replace the entire ignition i think that should sort it new belt aswell, if that dont work then its going in the garage till summer and im getting my push bike out.....no starting problems then..lol :)

orange_andy
30-11-05, 09:08 AM
that exactly what i was thinking this morning while drivingto work, ITS GOING IN THE GARAGE I NEED A BIKE. my car cut out 2twice at a junction, then3 times on a straight road while i was breakin i was going like 10/ 5 mph when it was cutting out i was like fuck so i pulled over with me choke out for a bit was alright after that, hate it though because it wasnt even that cold this morning compared to other days its been fine :S

SPipower
30-11-05, 08:48 PM
tell me bout it mate, nice and rainy this morning ya think cool its gonna be alright. then it dies and you feel like shouting FU**IN PIECE OF CRAP!!!!! my mates got a 88 fiesta 1.0 rattly piece of junk but the smegger starts up, well i have decided to put a very stylish sandwhich bag over the dizzy or some instant gasket, it will be water tight and condensation free then .....moral of the story....bike in winter not car!! :D

Adam
01-12-05, 01:09 AM
A fuel injected engine shouldn't have any trouble at starting in a morning, as long as the battery is good and charged.
Mine never fails to start.

Its only usually carb engines that have a problem, due to use of choke etc.

Try replacing the dizzy cap, and rotor arm if not already done.