PDA

View Full Version : GSI cams

Marsden
28-11-05, 11:11 PM
alright people. i need info on putting a 1.6 gsi cam into a 1.4 spi nova?
is it a straight forward swap, is there any hidden problems and also whilst my engine is apart what would you recomend me changing in the engine, just to keep it in good condition?

thanks ben

Adam
29-11-05, 12:09 AM
Fit straight in.

Just make sure the followers aren't worn, and replace them in the same order they came out.
Also, if the engine is tappy when cold/warm, its a good time to clean the hydraulic lifters whilst the cams out too.

Marsden
29-11-05, 05:13 PM
do you reckon it would be a good idea to get new lifters and followers whilst the cam is out instead of cleaning them out? also in the morning when the engine is colds it smokes a little bit (blue, oil) what do you reckon this could be, worn piston rings? the engine has done 93k miles or there abouts.

thanks Ben

Adam
29-11-05, 05:24 PM
do you reckon it would be a good idea to get new lifters and followers whilst the cam is out instead of cleaning them out? also in the morning when the engine is colds it smokes a little bit (blue, oil) what do you reckon this could be, worn piston rings? the engine has done 93k miles or there abouts.

thanks Ben
You could get new parts yes.
But i cleaned my lifters, and they are as quiet as new now :)

As for blue smoke, it could be piston rings, worn bores, valve stem oil seals, head gasket going and letting oil into cylinder.

Could be a lot of things.

Stuart
29-11-05, 05:27 PM
if it smokes on overrun (eg drop down from 3rd to 2nd (with suitable revs) and it smokes then its highly likely to be valve stem seals

If it smokes under load then its rings (the smoke will be a tad whiter than blue but hey)

smoking at idle in the cold is more or less condensation lol

Marsden
29-11-05, 05:36 PM
i have noticed that it smokes if i have been going down a steep hill with the engine braking and if i accelerate hard at the bottem it blows smoke out of the exhaust like there has been a big build up. This could be because......?

thanks ben

Adam
29-11-05, 05:43 PM
i have noticed that it smokes if i have been going down a steep hill with the engine braking and if i accelerate hard at the bottem it blows smoke out of the exhaust like there has been a big build up. This could be because......?

thanks ben
Is the smoke blue?

When the engine is cold, white-ish "smoke" will be condensation which you would see when accelerating.

Marsden
29-11-05, 05:46 PM
not really its more whitish grey, but there is quite a bit of, more than i would like. its like driving the batmobile sometimes. and it does seem to be going through a bit of oil. ( about 1litre every 600miles or less)

Stuart
29-11-05, 06:00 PM
valve stem seals ;)

Marsden
29-11-05, 06:09 PM
yeah thats what the haynes manual said when i changes the spark plugs and they had HEAVY DEPOSIT. it said.....FAULT often caused by worn valve guides (take it thats what you are saying it is), excessive use of upper cylinder lubricant, or idiling for long periods.

thanks ben

Adam
29-11-05, 06:29 PM
Valve guides are what the valves move through if you get me.

The stem oil seal is a small rubber seal that sits at the bottom of the valve and stops oil from the cam housing/head from getting into the cylinders.
They are different things.
Anyone correct me if im wrong.

Marsden
29-11-05, 06:36 PM
Best just to change both whilst the engine is apart, better to be safe than sorry. they shouldent cost that much i hope. but not changing to gsi cam untill the new year anyway.

craig green
30-11-05, 07:35 PM
Sounds as though its the valve stem oil seals that are gone. These can be done with the head off, if your fitting another cam then either the head has to come off or you can use special tools to change it in situ (without lifting off the head).
When you refit the hydraulic tappets its important to pump the residual oil from them. In a padded vice is best. It helps them to 'pump up' much quicker on the 1st start up.

If you arent mechanically minded then this job is just a head gasket replacement & valve guide stem seal replacement by a decent local garage.

read it up in the Haynes bible, if you are any good with LEGO you could prolly do this.

CG

Marsden
01-12-05, 05:10 PM
yeah cheers for your advice but my mate is a qualified bmw mechanic and has worked on a few vauxhalls in the time. he will be the one doing it, that way it only costs me a couple of beers!!!! :lol:

S_Gault
02-12-05, 09:00 AM
id say guides rather than the seals