PDA

View Full Version : McLaren F1 driving

beavy69
28-11-05, 10:53 PM
Does anyone know how to/of any products that one could use to move the steering wheel to the middle of the dash area like a mclaren f1?

burgo
28-11-05, 11:21 PM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/sclurgess/DSCN1546.jpg

leebo
30-11-05, 09:40 PM
i like the sound of this project, what way ya workin the gearin if ya have a seat in the middel?

beavy69
30-11-05, 11:24 PM
If I manage to graduate in a few years it will be a project as I will have the money. I cannot disclose the exact nature of the project as a whole as I intent to be the firt to do it.

The gearstick could be moved as there would be no original box, stick or linkage but I will not be reverting to an automatic for your reassurance.

mowgli
01-12-05, 07:56 PM
sounds interesting if a bit antisocial. I'm guessing a large mid engined transplant or a silhouette over a single seater.
As a safety idea, the people who run WRC have been looking at central driving positions with rear seated co-drivers in the aftermath of the fatal accident in the rally GB this year.

the steering wheel is already slightly offset towards the centre , how many times have you followed another nova & seen the driver leaning towards the middle?
This design quirk would actually make it quite easy to fit universal joints and move the column to wherever you want.
moving the heater & the pedals would be a lot more work, and then if it is still front engined, then the exhaust would need some serious re-routing as well as the gear linkage.
cars are designed around the passenger space, so altering the passenger space will always be a challenge.

leebo
01-12-05, 08:30 PM
well with what ever way you do it, the best of luck

beavy69
01-12-05, 08:44 PM
Sorry to have caused (if only a small) stir. I will not be doing it till 2009 at the earliest.

But hopefully novaload will still be going and it will be well documented.