PDA

View Full Version : Mk1 (1985) SR... to GTE or GSi grill?

Anonymous
07-03-01, 10:54 PM
Ive gotta 1985 SR which has got the REALLY old front fitted to it... (hge pastic grill type thing joined to bumper surround and huge plastic surround joined underneath the bumper)... I obviously want to get rid of this and want to know wether i should go for a GTE front or a GSI front... I dont want a major job of fitting it cos I want to do it myself... can i fit the GTE or GSi surround to the standard fixings... is there any major work needed?

cheers

Anonymous
07-03-01, 11:54 PM
what ever u decide u will need the later grill or a gte spec grill to match up with the new seperate bumper

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
08-03-01, 04:49 PM
I'll take the lower skirt off ur hands from ur SR bumper,email me if u want to get rid robert@weaverd.freeserve.co.uk

Anonymous
08-03-01, 08:38 PM
it's easy to do I've done it myself u just need the wings and stuff. got mine for ?100. then buy the bumper and it all bolts on. but remember you need to seal the wings I think you use mastik or some sort of sealant

Anonymous
09-03-01, 03:55 AM
You only need the wings if you do a full MKII face lift!!! not just for a bumper swap.

The 87 on SR bumper or GTE bumper will fit straight on, but as said, you'll need a separate grill.
The MKII SR bumper (same as all standard MKII models) or GSi bumper, has different fittings at the outer ends, where it fastens to the wings, and the irons (bumper bars that go into the chassis) are a different length.

See the guide on www.topbuzz.net for details on fitting a GSi front bumper.

Anonymous
10-03-01, 12:35 AM
cheers for that Rich...
Will stick with GTE bumper then by the looks of it!

Anonymous
12-03-01, 02:36 AM
the mk2 bumpers go on easy just in bolt the irons and move them along the bar easy peasy!! :p

RobDmr@aol.com Xr2????? I'd rather walk!!!!