PDA

View Full Version : well WTF, anyone else getting problems

orange_andy
28-11-05, 09:45 AM
nova SR 1.4

well. after talking about it before, this mroning driving to work, in traffic while not moving i hear like nocking like ecoing knocking from the back end of the car, any ideas what the hell this is. and it isnt just the exhaust shaking, because it sound a bit weird :S.

also it cut out 3 times in 10 mins first time its done this since i got the car and it wasnt the coldest morning iv been out in it, looks like im getting the cold winter carbs that you get as standard with the SR ?

Stuart
28-11-05, 09:54 AM
due to the roughish idle in the cold its probably the handbrake cable knocking on the floor pan

orange_andy
28-11-05, 10:21 AM
ahhh dunno about that, it seems to make the noise more when i put a new tank of petti in, its like a weird noise. sounds like someone is banging doing building but its actually from the car, gonna get it checked hope its nout big.

Stuart
28-11-05, 10:29 AM
petROL :roll:

Will F
28-11-05, 10:42 AM
There is a mouse in the fuel tank.
Its a common problem with Novas.. have you noticed poor fule consumption too?

They are thirsty beggers!

orange_andy
28-11-05, 10:50 AM
maybe there is a mouse it wasnt doing the best on "petROL" before. lol i aint got a clue what it is its weird, first time i noticed it was after driving about for about 2 hours. then parked up left it idling and thought i heard a neighbour building at like 1.am. got out the car and realised it was noise from the. what the hell could make a knocking noise from the rear when the car is stationary,

Stuart
28-11-05, 11:34 AM
ill put 10p on it being the handbrake cable wafting about (maybe while the mouse swings about on it lol)

orange_andy
28-11-05, 12:08 PM
the odds are high on this one son. ill give you 47p if your right

orange_andy
28-11-05, 12:13 PM
just got some advise from a mecanic forum. saying it could be gearbox and it has to do with the engine coz it makes the noise when im stationary aswell. i put my clutch in and it went which may suggest clutch or gearbox. if it is the gearbox or anything over ?90 to fix i am gonna go out do top speed down the by pass then jump out the car and watch it crash.

i sold my last car because it was gonna cost 550 for a new box, if its this again i am actually gonna retire from driving

Stuart
28-11-05, 12:27 PM
?550 for a box?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? i hope you got a quaife one for that! lol

they are about ?30 from most people and fitting is easy. get a haynes manual

mad-driver
28-11-05, 12:42 PM
my handbrake cable rattles too at very low idle speeds, really f**cking annoying i know lol shouldnt be anything major though, id worry more if it was coming from the front end of the car

orange_andy
28-11-05, 12:55 PM
i got told because it does it when im stationary then it *must be coming frmo the front end of the car ??? yea mate so does your handbrake make this noise at diff times for no reason or when stationary aswell??

550 for a suzuki gearbox and fitted

orange_andy
28-11-05, 12:56 PM
can you explain exactly how yours does it mad or when and why.

im gonna go to garage at lunch time see if they have a quick look for me and see what they say.

mad-driver
28-11-05, 01:10 PM
it may be your cable just needs tightening, thats what mine is i just cant be arsed atm lol. if i try and pull off at low revs ie if the car judders when its going to stall it does it, can really explain it just that its a rattle comin from sort of under the back seats

orange_andy
28-11-05, 01:24 PM
cars going in to a garage thurs for a look i think. i parked up with nearly full lock on and there was a big rattling coming from the engine bay sounded like gearbox or close to it, is that commen if you have full lock on or is it just my gearbox is now fucked.

out of curiosity how much are gearboxes

Stuart
28-11-05, 02:23 PM
?30-?50 usually. unless someone is being a cnut