PDA

View Full Version : re: 1.2spi top 1.4carb conversion help please

SuperNova!
27-11-05, 09:07 PM
Hi guys, rite I have a 1.4sri engine and I want to remove the Injection off the engine and fit a 14sr carb and manifold as I dont want to rewire my car or get an engine out of an astra,

firstly will this be okay and will there be any problems to remove mpi and fit the carb?

And How should I get fuel? as the sri engine has a pump ran off the cam and My car has one in the tank?

And how much should i be looking to pay for a 14sr carb and manifold??

Any help is very appreciated thanks

Dod
27-11-05, 09:21 PM
Mate, just stick in the SRi Wiring, its not that difficult and will give a lot more power than adding a Loom, or buy a 14SR engine, stick that in or a 14oo Astra SPi Engine and wire it up like the 1200i engine thats already in it.

Adam
28-11-05, 12:52 AM
To swap to a 1400 carb you would need swap the head too, as the carb inlet wont match the SRI head.

The sri will run off a MPI intank pump, only carb engines run off mechanical(cam driven) pumps.

Stick with the MPi, its miles better than a 1400 carb.
The wiring is a problem, but it can be done with a bit of patience :)

Snowface
28-11-05, 09:38 AM
Hi guys, rite I have a 1.4sri engine and I want to remove the Injection off the engine and fit a 14sr carb and manifold as I dont want to rewire my car or get an engine out of an astra,

firstly will this be okay and will there be any problems to remove mpi and fit the carb?

And How should I get fuel? as the sri engine has a pump ran off the cam and My car has one in the tank?

And how much should i be looking to pay for a 14sr carb and manifold??

Any help is very appreciated thanks

You want to swap an 82bhp engine for a 72bhp engine??
You will have worse economy also.

The sri fuel pump is inside the petrol tank i think? its definatlye doesn't run off the camshaft. Are you sure its an sri?

Adam
28-11-05, 01:10 PM
SRI uses an external pump IIRC.

hendrix
28-11-05, 01:16 PM
SRI uses an external pump IIRC.
yep thats right!
i had a friend who tried to do this and he had no end of problems, the SRi engine is far superior to the carbed engine and you get 10 extra horses which make all the difference. Also both engines are same insurance group!!!!
stick with mpi but u will need to change pump in ur tank for an astra or corsa mpi internal pump
andy

SuperNova!
28-11-05, 05:58 PM
Thanks for all your help but am I correct in asuming that if I want to put the SRI engine in my 1.2spi then I have to basically use the entire loom from the SRI which has already gone to the scrap yard?

I am trying to make it an easy changeover as possibe!

thanks

Adam
28-11-05, 06:16 PM
You could just seperate the engine loom from the car loom.
And the wire that into the spi shell.

Or get the entire loom (engine and car) out a SRi nova, and put that in place of the entire loom on your SPI shell.

Or get a sri engine from a mk3 astra or corsa, as the loom just plugs in seperately to the car loom, so its easier to fit.