PDA

View Full Version : The end of one shell and the start of a new one...

Rick Draper
27-11-05, 06:52 PM
Had some bad news this week, while my mate was driving his forklift truck around the garage he managed to crash into my nova. It has creased the roof and wrote the shell off as it stands. Luckily i have got a 55 plate nova GSI on the way to the local vauxhall dealer from Spain, its got the following options on it:-

Electric sunroof,
Aircon,
Heated front windscreen,
Heated seats,
and power steering.

When it gets here i intend to convert it to right hand drive and fit my LET engine in it along with the leather trim i have which will be stripped down and the heated pads fitted into the front seats.

Big thanks to Mark and Ian for pointing me in the right direction of finding these little gems.

novacabrio
27-11-05, 06:57 PM
No probs, any time, Keeping the white?

Kinky Monza
27-11-05, 07:00 PM
how'd you get a 55 plate nova
thought vauxhall stopped makin them
what price would i be looking at and how do i go about getting one

novacabrio
27-11-05, 07:01 PM
was only 3 cars, I got 1, and Ian gave his chance to ric, vauxhall want the 3rd car, Rick can I have the old shell for a phase 5 spider?

Kinky Monza
27-11-05, 07:05 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Rick Draper
27-11-05, 07:13 PM
was only 3 cars, I got 1, and Ian gave his chance to ric, vauxhall want the 3rd car, Rick can I have the old shell for a phase 5 spider?

You could have it but its a real mess, the forklift must have hit it fairly hard as the drivers side sill is damaged as well.

Its yours if you want to collect it though.

Snowface
27-11-05, 07:25 PM
spose you leave something lying around long enough and it'll get damaged.

Good luck with the new shell.
These 3 shells, did they fiund them in a warehouse marked up wrongly 10 years ago or something?

surely they wouldn't just manufacture just 3? or are there a load more out in Espagne?

nathan.
27-11-05, 07:29 PM
Any pics of the damaged shell

NickWalliams
27-11-05, 07:30 PM
Is this some kind of on going joke? :?

Martin
27-11-05, 07:34 PM
arnt them novas like.. 12k?

Rick Draper
27-11-05, 07:37 PM
spose you leave something lying around long enough and it'll get damaged.

Good luck with the new shell.
These 3 shells, did they fiund them in a warehouse marked up wrongly 10 years ago or something?

surely they wouldn't just manufacture just 3? or are there a load more out in Espagne?

I believe Mark got wind through Vauxhall of Opel finding 3 new nova GSI's that had been stored in a field from new. He was offered 2 of them and passed the info of them on to Ian. Ian said he would have one but due to the incident with my car last week he has offered it to me :lol: .

From what i have been told Opel were clearing out a storage unit of old vectras etc and found these at the back. Cannot wait to get my hands on mine now.

nathan.
27-11-05, 07:38 PM
Whos gonna buy a nova for ?12 k :lol:

Rick Draper
27-11-05, 07:38 PM

I shud have some tomorrow hopefully if i finish work in time.

ANDYRACER
27-11-05, 09:33 PM
Bloody hell Rick, that is harsh, but cant complain about a new nova shell :wink:

Ben
27-11-05, 09:59 PM
Wish i had had th money when mark offered me the 2nd one in Sheffiled the other week.

Good luck with it.

dan16v
27-11-05, 10:36 PM
looks like i maybe about to get one also! :D must be a secret stash! 12k ish*is cheap as feck!
Rick are you going to fit yours with abs and air bags etc so it can go though all its n cap safety tests and try for 5 stars?

Kinky Monza
27-11-05, 10:40 PM
i want one willing to do most things to get one lol :wink:

Ben
27-11-05, 10:42 PM
PM me for details...

Kinky Monza
27-11-05, 10:53 PM
my mum always told me not to pm strangers :wink:

Ben
27-11-05, 11:04 PM
Dont get a 55 plate GSi then.

Kinky Monza
27-11-05, 11:10 PM
:cry: :cry: but i would love a new car

ade
27-11-05, 11:32 PM
lol - 12k for a GSi. Even though I'm nuts on novas I would seriously think twice about shelling out that much. Problem is if youre stripping it youre stripping 12K

Okay if you have that kind og cash but there's plenty of good quality shells out there (reconditioned ones) for less - I saw loads of novas in maderia when on hols that bodywork wise were minted!

Shipping costs etc would be a hell of a lot cheaper.

Then again - if it could be registerred as a 55 plate that'd be totally unique!

8)

starkmotorsport
28-11-05, 12:13 AM
?12k is a ridiculous ammount to spend on any shell unless its been competition prepared in some way.

Id be interested to see photos of the shells if you have any?

Adam
28-11-05, 01:28 AM
Bad news about your shell getting damaged Rick, but very good news about the replacement, even if a little expensive,lol.

Aragorn
28-11-05, 01:41 AM
whats interesting that you seem to have an unregistered nova on its way that someones retrofitted aircon, heated screen, pas and other such goodies too?

finding an unregistered shell is perhaps possible (although unlikely), finding one with lots of non-standard components fitted just isnt going to happen is it? not like a car thats sat in a storage unit for 15 years is going to grow its own airconditioning system and modify a corsa pas rack to fit is it?

so what is this? a wind up? the forklift thing seems familiar from a few years back on here too?

:?

Stuart
28-11-05, 08:03 AM
did you know that they took the word gullable out of the dictionary?

or that the weatehr men actually control the weather...

or that even wind turbines create wind.........

:roll:

Snowface
28-11-05, 09:28 AM
looks like i maybe about to get one also! :D must be a secret stash! 12k ish*is cheap as feck!
Rick are you going to fit yours with abs and air bags etc so it can go though all its n cap safety tests and try for 5 stars?

don't they have to crash a few cars to get a n'cap rating?

Will F
28-11-05, 10:12 AM
This thread is actually true, I managed to get my hands on BRAND NEW shell in 1992, It was mint.

It had windows AND wheels.

Dpnova
28-11-05, 10:36 AM
wasnt it a guy named matt or something this actually happened to

martweaver
28-11-05, 10:40 AM
Rick - forgive me for asking but is this serious?? After you've sourced & fitted new quarters too!!! Are the wings ok?

Mart

craig green
28-11-05, 12:33 PM
Wishfull thinking.. I'd beleive it when I see it. not calling anyone a liar or anything like that.

Any warranty from vauxhall on a 14 yr old car sold at its list price??

CG

NickWalliams
28-11-05, 12:40 PM
would you even be able to register it as a 55 plate??? dont think so as the new plates were designed to stop car manufacturers selling cars as new when they had been in storage for a year or two.

So i think this is just a wind up until i see some kind of evidence.

And you'd have to be mad to pay 12k for it :lol:

Stuart
28-11-05, 12:46 PM
:roll: you know the moon is made from cream cheese dotn you....

Paul16v
28-11-05, 02:43 PM
its sounds like bollocks to me!!

brand new car and your going to rip it apart and stick a let in it.thats worse than sticking a let in sport!!!

i'll believe it when i see it.

Steve Barker
28-11-05, 03:03 PM
How are you going to change the power steering over to right had drive ? Are you going to fit one of these special non existent steering racks that?s already right hand drive hidden in a shed out back of some Spanish farmers, mothers, uncles, potato crop in a shed that opel rented out and forgot about, thats been sitting there for 12 years, or whatever ??

Rick Draper
28-11-05, 03:29 PM
How are you going to change the power steering over to right had drive ? Are you going to fit one of these special non existent steering racks that?s already right hand drive hidden in a shed out back of some Spanish farmers, mothers, uncles, potato crop in a shed that opel rented out and forgot about, thats been sitting there for 12 years, or whatever ??

As a matter of fact its a PAS column in it not a PAS rack. :D

Steve Barker
28-11-05, 03:54 PM
im finding all this hard to belive ! are you getting confused with a new corsa ?

Dod
28-11-05, 04:02 PM
IIRC, as told by Keith.

The last remaining Nova Body Shells that weren't built up were sold to a firm called Fintona Autospares in Co Tyrone(?) about 12 years ago. I think it was 20-30 in total. These were sold in thenext few years and the last of was sold in 97(?)

That said, theres nothing to say that Corsa A shells aren't available in Spain, the same thing really but would be an Opel as opposed to a Vauxhall.

Ha!!! Gotcha!!!! :lol:

Freak
28-11-05, 05:24 PM
The old shell stockpile is true- its outside the town of el-bilug in southern spain. Have seen it with my own eyes. 8)

12k is a drop in the ocean for mad rik in comparison to what the rest of his nova has cost.

Nick
28-11-05, 06:01 PM
may be a stupid suggestion....

but if you've got a completely bare shell that's absolutly immaculate ?

is there anyway of getting the whole thing galvanised ? i know you can galvanise aluminium but what about steel ? (or tin/iron as the case probably is)

paying 12k for a shell, you'd want to go to every effort to make it stay immaculate

Ben
28-11-05, 06:08 PM
The french galvanise all there shell's

krobinson
28-11-05, 06:23 PM
Lmao...

Dod
28-11-05, 07:12 PM
I once came across a shed in Craggy Island with 15 Special Irmischer Carbion Fibre Nova Shells coated in Cocaine and Whores..... 50 quid each.

Rick Draper
28-11-05, 07:35 PM
I once came across a shed in Craggy Island with 15 Special Irmischer Carbion Fibre Nova Shells coated in Cocaine and Whores..... 50 quid each.

Did you buy many???

Dod
28-11-05, 07:59 PM
Forty twelve of them, anyone want one, just PM me. :lol:

Snowface
28-11-05, 09:36 PM

lmao

where's these pics of truck vs nova?

Dod
28-11-05, 09:46 PM
Sorry, what?

Snowface
28-11-05, 09:50 PM

I shud have some tomorrow hopefully if i finish work in time.

Nick
29-11-05, 12:58 AM

bit of sarcasm in my post !

I guess time will tell

Rick, what about safety and emissions ? because as it's a 55plate car surely wont it have to abide to current regulations ?

or can you register it like you'd register a kit car ? e.g a caterham

RJM25R
29-11-05, 09:41 AM
HMMMMmmmm...... I wonder?????

If it's true, and it is going to be registered new, won't it need type approval (SVA test) because it doesn't have ABS brakes, which are a legal requirement on a new car in Europe since 2004 (unless it's Single Vehicle Compliant?)......

Also, will it pass emissions?

Wouldn't the car be fucked if it has been in a field or whatever for 14 years? Bird shit and acid rain attacking the paintwork? corroded brake lines perhaps, rotted tyres, stink insidedue to damp,???? damp causing electrical problems? Faded paintwork? etc etc etc and the local Spanish Chavs nicking bits off it???

And i thought that surely if you COULD find a brand new GSI, you'd be so happy to keep it standard-ish???? maybe wheels/tyres/suspension mods but keep it mint?

If it is true, and i am doubtful (although I would LOVE it to be proved wrong if the car's DO exist!), it would be great to see one.....

Rick Draper
29-11-05, 09:53 AM

bit of sarcasm in my post !

I guess time will tell

Rick, what about safety and emissions ? because as it's a 55plate car surely wont it have to abide to current regulations ?

or can you register it like you'd register a kit car ? e.g a caterham

Emmisions are not a problem as the engine going into it is a 1990 engine which requires no cat.

Steve Barker
29-11-05, 09:58 AM
rick dont think many people belive you at the moment, please can we have pics of your car with fork lift damage ?

Rick Draper
29-11-05, 10:39 AM
rick dont think many people belive you at the moment, please can we have pics of your car with fork lift damage ?

Actually by the looks of things quite a few people believe me. I will try and get some pics later on tonight or tomorrow. Snowed in at the moment.

Ben
29-11-05, 10:43 AM
I have seen one of these and pictures of Mark's car have been posted on this very site, it is very very clean considering its been parked up for so long.

Emissions will be fine after all Standard Nova's are still passing the current tests still today.

Stuart
29-11-05, 10:48 AM
cos there "isnt" a little thing called photoshop lmao

tbh there are some of the spinners that are "funny" and there are others that are grade A dicks ......

NickWalliams
29-11-05, 11:19 AM
Lets see some proof!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12k will buy a decent astra coupe 888, you would have to be a complete nut case to pay it for 13year old std nova.

There is no logic behind spending that amount on a std nova, 12k will pay for a shell to be fully re-conned and re-built to a better standard and with your change you could fit a LET and tune it to over 300bhp and go on holiday.

:P

Lee H
29-11-05, 11:59 AM
Can't believe how many people are falling for this.

PS can I have the engine out of it Rick to put in my GSi? :lol:

dan16v
29-11-05, 04:06 PM
Lets see some proof!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12k will buy a decent astra coupe 888, you would have to be a complete nut case to pay it for 13year old std nova.

There is no logic behind spending that amount on a std nova, 12k will pay for a shell to be fully re-conned and re-built to a better standard and with your change you could fit a LET and tune it to over 300bhp and go on holiday.

:P

lol you'd have to be a complete nut case to pay 12k for an 888 :lol: its only a crappy astra! alot of other decent cars id prefere!

Dave
29-11-05, 07:08 PM
forklift hitting the car was matt finary's (think) trick, with 'the flying machine' but doubt many members would remember that! lol

Jim
29-11-05, 07:20 PM
forklift hitting the car was matt finary's (think) trick, with 'the flying machine' but doubt many members would remember that! lol

That's where I heard it before. Thanks Dave, lol.

Jim

scott.parker
29-11-05, 07:22 PM
Think there is more chance the roads are going to freeze over tonight then them nova's being true :lol:

Snowface
29-11-05, 07:31 PM
if its true - big deal
if its not true - big deal

why take the bait?

Ben
29-11-05, 08:31 PM
Ahh the flying machine.

lee 16v
29-11-05, 10:42 PM
I called vauxhall about 2-3years ago for a shell and they told me that they sold the last 1 over 10 years ago

krobinson
29-11-05, 10:46 PM
:lol:

Phil_G
30-11-05, 01:35 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

that rumour/joke is as old as Jesus' hat....

Dave
30-11-05, 05:30 PM
but did jesus rearly exist?? lmao

skud52
30-11-05, 07:21 PM
i think its funny how everyone believes it until 1 person posts doubt, then almost every post after people dont believe it :lol:

Philsutton
30-11-05, 07:23 PM
thats because they are all sheep