PDA

View Full Version : Solid Lifters and cam

mad-driver
24-11-05, 12:49 PM
Does anybody know where you can get these from for a 1400 SR? Also would it make a difference with the 1300 head i now have on the car? And i read somewhere that you cannot use a normal cam with solid lifters and they are a totally different setup.

TBH dont know a great deal about them except they are better on highly modified engines and help it to rev better at higher rpm. Other than this if anyone can shine any light on them or any of you who have them could let me know how different the car is with them on, i would be vrey greatful.

One final thing is i dont know anything about pricing on the things either

cheers
Sam

Stuart
24-11-05, 03:03 PM
ive got "homemade" solid lifters and shims for my solid profile flat nosed cam.

If your jsut going for a moderate cam profile (upto pipers bp300 cam) then you can stay on hydraulics provided you dont sit at max revs for a long time... i think benji had to replace his lifters every 6-9 months or so when track abusing his 1.4 on track...

its your call on the cam etc but id suggest that unless you intend to sit at 7500rpm+ all the time then you dont need the added effort and expense of the solid setup.

Adam
24-11-05, 05:18 PM
They are quite pricey, well i would call them pricey anyway.

Stick with hydrulic lifters Sam, cheaper to replace etc, and will be fine as long as your not getting up to 7/8K rpm.

SRlew
24-11-05, 05:33 PM
so a 300 degree cam would still be alright on the standard hydraulics.

would it idle alright with a 300 deg?

S_Gault
24-11-05, 05:42 PM
theres 3 types-

i make the shims and my own froi the hydralic ones. (more reliable than the next option)

there is the adjustable type with the locknuts (that in competition use come slack)

and then there is the thru follower adjustable type that are made with selflocking K thread and are actually very good but pricey.

the cam lifting ramp is what dictates the need for solid followers..duration stuff is pile of balls.

if you give engine a tough time.. you need them. full stop.

Adam
24-11-05, 05:43 PM
so a 300 degree cam would still be alright on the standard hydraulics.

would it idle alright with a 300 deg?
Well, Jims, and IIRC Bruce have a 300deg cam fitted, and i've heard on here that they idle fine.
Probably depends a lot on the other mods the engine has.
But a 300deg cam is pushing the power range up toward 7/8k.
Hydraulic lifters should be fine, as long as you aren't keeping the engine at like 7K rpm for long periods.

mad-driver
25-11-05, 12:39 PM
right lads thanks alot, bit clearer now and i wont be sitting at 7k plus a great deal lol, not just yet anyway. :lol: