PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox mystery??

jock23
22-11-05, 01:11 PM
Hi, wonder if anyone could help with this one.

I recently had my gearbox replaced as I was told the bearing had gone in it (well it was making a very loud groaning noise when driving). It was replaced (?290 later) and the noise stoppped....

for a bit. It was also quite hard to find gears after the replacement, especially 1st and 2nd, plus after a quick trip on the motorway the noise returned along with a high pitched squeel on occasions.

Today however, whilst replacing my battery, I had a good look around the engine and I saw the top of what I presume is the gearbox (on the right just behind dizzie). On the top of this there is an etching or a diagram the same that is on top of the gearstick (hence my presumption that its the gearbox)

The mystery is that this gearbox seems to be saying that it is a 5 speed gear box with reverse. My 1.2 K reg nova however is only a 4 speed? Is there something amiss there?? has he put in the wrong kind of box??

I am taking it back to the garage in the next few days for him to fix it, I would just like to have a bit more knowledge than i do now!!

Sorry for the longwinded post by the way!! lol

Ste L
22-11-05, 01:16 PM
unsure about the noise, but the gear are easy to sort, sounds like the gear linkage isn't set right...

if you got a 5 speed box i wouldn't complain about that, an extra gear on a 4 speed box is always nice

jock23
22-11-05, 02:04 PM
Yeah but the gearstick is just the same, I cant seem to be able to put into 5 gears!!!

Aragorn
24-11-05, 07:02 PM
the selector unit is the same for 4 and 5 speed boxes and indicates 5 gears regardless ;)

Adam
24-11-05, 07:21 PM
Yeah but the gearstick is just the same, I cant seem to be able to put into 5 gears!!!
You cant get into fifth?

Its because you need to cut a plastic lug thing off the stick under the gaitor, that stops you putting it into the fifth position when you originally had a 4spd box.

Riggy
24-11-05, 07:32 PM
but befor doin that , i would disconnect the gear linkage and then try for fith , if this works then cut the plastic lug and reset linkage

craig green
25-11-05, 04:05 PM
sounds like linkage isnt set up right if you cant get 1st or 2nd easily.

Explained quite well in Haynes. easy to adjust tho, (helps with a 2nd person in the car to hold the gear stick for you).