PDA

View Full Version : high performace mods for cheap ??

orange_andy
22-11-05, 12:56 PM
hey all, after a few minor worries here and there my 1.4 sr seems to still be running fine, just wondering whats a good mod for me car at the moment it has,

4-1 branch manifold (so im told) how could i check ?
big F** off exhaust probably de cat as its an old car ?
k & n pancake filter

seems like quite a fast car just wondering any ideas on what to mod next that isnt gonna cost to much, maybe around 100- 150? ?

iv heard about webber 40's but they cost like 250 fitted and gonna eat my petrol EVEN MORE THAN IT DOES??

u want to keep the mpi then stick a better cam
then last post heard about heads an stuff " u want to keep the mpi then stick a better cam " whats this and how much ?, any info cheers an if its worth spending the money on it for the BHP increase.

Ste L
22-11-05, 01:04 PM
is it an sr or and sri....

you said at the top sr, then you talk about mpi......

4-1 manifold is easy to tell if you got one...

it has 4 pipes going to one, unlike the usualy with goes from 4, in to a 2 pipe downpipe, to the front pipe...

F188CHG
22-11-05, 01:43 PM
I got a high lift cam for 17.50 on ebay last week :lol:
cheap as chips :wink:

orange_andy
22-11-05, 02:15 PM
its a 1.4 sr. what i pasted was just sumit someone said from an old one, so if its a 4 brance ill see 4 brances going into one rather than into 2 ?

anways cheers for the advise its a sr so any advise welcome.

what does the cam do ?

orange_andy
22-11-05, 02:16 PM
its a 1.4 sr. what i pasted was just sumit someone said from an old one, so if its a 4 brance ill see 4 brances going into one rather than into 2 ?

anways cheers for the advise its a sr so any advise welcome.

what does the cam do ?

F188CHG
22-11-05, 05:04 PM
Gives you higher bhp m8 :wink:
cost around ?250 new

orange_andy
22-11-05, 05:06 PM
where can i get one does it need to be nova or can it be any vauxhall ? how much is it to fit usually ? how much gain dya rekon u get

Philsutton
22-11-05, 05:06 PM
the cam will also alter your power band

burgo
22-11-05, 05:26 PM
cheapest mod of all is weight reduction

General Baxter
22-11-05, 05:29 PM
cheapest mod of all

an ebay chip :lol: :wink:

burgo
22-11-05, 05:32 PM
cheapest mod of all

an ebay chip :lol: :wink:wrong bum boy
ebay chip= 99p
stripping out = free

orange_andy
22-11-05, 05:56 PM
ahh bollox to strippn seats out an stuff for a bit more speed thats no good when u want people in teh car, i want power to help for (convenience)

anyway seats weigh not alot so thats jus like thinking you cant bother givein someone a race with a passenger, whats the point in avin a car if you feel you need to not let people in it to have a bit of fun

Stuart
22-11-05, 06:01 PM
ebay mod DIY style = 6P lmao but it gains you nothing

Philsutton
22-11-05, 07:12 PM
ahh bollox to strippn seats out an stuff for a bit more speed thats no good when u want people in teh car, i want power to help for (convenience)

anyway seats weigh not alot so thats jus like thinking you cant bother givein someone a race with a passenger, whats the point in avin a car if you feel you need to not let people in it to have a bit of fun
you clarly have too many friends, sort your self out. If you dont strip the car out and your after performance then your a pansy lol. Makes me laugh when all teh corsa boys fit 2lt 16v turbos and have about 3 tons of leather interior and sound equipment, should of kept the 1.6 and no interior lol.

Stuart
22-11-05, 07:21 PM
one seat is all you need ;)

burgo
22-11-05, 08:21 PM
even if you wanna keep your seats theres an aweful lot of sound deadening that can be removed and evey little helps

Dod
22-11-05, 08:33 PM
one seat is all you need ;)

2 if you're feeling a bit romantic. Seriously, interior is over rated anyway Strip it out and it'll sort your power to Weight ratio and help speed econemy and Handling.

Stuart
22-11-05, 09:34 PM
one seat is more romantic ;)

Jon_nova1
23-11-05, 01:34 AM
whats the point in having all the seats? the only reason is to look like your popular, which looks chavvy, i've emptied mine, no back seats, its also good when everyone wants to waste your petrol, because only one person can fit in, along with that all the non essentials have been taken out, including all the heating, all there is, is the heater matrix, the top surround so it can be bolted securely, and a fan on it, its either got the heat rising naturally or theres a fan which has the settings of on and off, theres not even a centre console in it, or any panels in the back, on the front theres fibreboard for doorcards

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Unicorn007/novaboot.jpg

that was when i first got it, its now even lighter :)

orange_andy
23-11-05, 10:09 AM
cant delete1

orange_andy
23-11-05, 10:10 AM
haha awfull if your gonna leave your car like that, i dont see the point in strippin car out to help it move a lilll bit faster as there is less weight, i should just go on a diet and lost 2 stone itd do a lot more, i want more power in the car not,, less weight to help the power full the car a lilll bit easier dont see the point in that me self,

thats like saying, you could have a nova 1.4 FULLY STRIPPED only thing in the car is 1 seat no floors no dashes nothing, and a nova 1.6 with nice leather, and quality sound system, and a nice quiet ride due to sound dedening in every part of the car, they are both about the same speed, which one would you choose, i know what id go for , lets start a poll,, i love this site when im at work :)

Jon_nova1
23-11-05, 11:04 AM
its not staying like that, thats just how it looks at the mo, but its still staying light, a 1.4 stripped or a 1.6 with a nice interior?

i'd pick the 1.4, the insurance costs less, it takes less fuel, theres nothing wrong with having a head unit and small speakers, and you can get nice comfy bucket seats up front :)

F188CHG
23-11-05, 11:28 AM
Or a stripped 1.6 like mine :wink:

burgo
23-11-05, 02:59 PM
stripped out is the future

Gunzi
23-11-05, 04:23 PM
If you want to go faster, buy an Astra 16v brake setup, it usually costs around ?50. The standard SR brakes are shite, no question.
Also buy lowering springs / uprated dampers, so you can carry more speed into, through and out of the bends.
Then consider adding power to your engine, as by then you will have learnt how to drive the car in a more controlled fashion (I hope!)
:)
Gunzi

F188CHG
23-11-05, 06:04 PM
Very wise :wink:

Dan
23-11-05, 06:28 PM
if this is purely based on being a tight arse then power to weight is the only way, after that you just aswell bend over and take a large one off some companies who will gladly rape you of mucho money to get a 'similar' effect.

Also it doesnt have to look like above, another thing, twin forties DONT guzzle fuel if set up properly, thats more of an urban myth from people who either cant set them up or have been to people that cant and been fobbed off that its just the way they are.

power costs money end of, this is why i built mine to show you dont need mega bucks or a huge engine to have a fast car. As said if you want seats/ice system etc etc etc then just aswell give up and wait until you can afford to do something worth while rather than frittering pennies away on things that will only make it almost as fast as a standard car.

That may read like a load of old tosh but over the years i've been there and got the t shirt from all aspects and thats how i see it

Philsutton
23-11-05, 07:12 PM
haha awfull if your gonna leave your car like that, i dont see the point in strippin car out to help it move a lilll bit faster as there is less weight, i should just go on a diet and lost 2 stone itd do a lot more, i want more power in the car not,, less weight to help the power full the car a lilll bit easier dont see the point in that me self,

thats like saying, you could have a nova 1.4 FULLY STRIPPED only thing in the car is 1 seat no floors no dashes nothing, and a nova 1.6 with nice leather, and quality sound system, and a nice quiet ride due to sound dedening in every part of the car, they are both about the same speed, which one would you choose, i know what id go for , lets start a poll,, i love this site when im at work
i dont even know where to start with how wrong you are. I just dont get the im going to put 800kgs of sound system an sound deadening in the car, may as well get a 1lt and save on fuel.

Paul
23-11-05, 08:18 PM
Back to the original question:

1200 Cylinder head, with a 1200 manifold, webber 32/34 carb, and filter. That should give you around 5-10bhp more depenmding on how it was set up.

Paul

orange_andy
24-11-05, 09:47 AM
" dont even know where to start with how wrong you are. I just dont get the im going to put 800kgs of sound system an sound deadening in the car, may as well get a 1lt and save on fuel. "

to me that is CRAZY TALK,

"i want a nice car and fast car,

so i want a good sound system and back seats for if i actually wanna go somewhere for a day out ect ect,

so i cant understand how you would that, coz then id have a 1litre nova with no speed and no luxarys in it,

where as i could have a 1.6 maybe a bit slower than people who strip there car OUT, but id still have speed (not alot less than others) but with the comfort and practicallity,

orange_andy
24-11-05, 09:49 AM
and back to my original point, i wasnt asking how to mod for free i was just saying i have about 200-300 ? if its Actually worth spending that amount on sumit,

which is why i asked is it worth spending 250 of hard earned money on webber carbs, to not notice to much diff in speed and to DOUBLE the amount of money id spend on fuel. cheers any ways though

Gunzi
24-11-05, 09:59 AM
For ?250, buy the 1.2 head K&N panel, 16v brakes and maybe some decent lowereing springs like eibachs, you should still have change some left from your ?250 and your car will be much sharper. (Although the dampers will need changing before you see proper change in handling)

People were just pointing out that for free, stripping is the best route forward, you don't realise how much difference it makes until you do it! By all means keep the interior, I did in all my novas, only stripping it out for the odd trip to Santa Pod.

If you want carbs the ?250 will be enough to get them so long as you fit them yourself. They are only as juicy as your right foot is heavy! If you are worried about fuel consumption then don't modfiy your car!! Ironically stripping the car will improve fuel consumption!

Good luck and keep us informed with what you do!

Gunzi

orange_andy
24-11-05, 10:53 AM
realistically, im happy enuff with the speed, it isnt lightnin but it isnt slow, its a 1.4 nova and u can hammer it if needs be,

how dya go about lowering, most people just get springs 35- 40mm and say its fine, then other ppl say YOU NEED dampers and kits and all this crap with is ALOT MORE MONEY but i aint sure wot diff it makes or if i ACTUALLY NEED THEM to stop me breakin the suspension ?

also these breaks your on about, is it the full breaks like disk and pads ect ? do they have to be from a 16valve hatchback sport or which model, im interested in the breaks like coz the breaks are scary on this thing

pics coming on tonite..

Gunzi
24-11-05, 11:01 AM
16v brake set up is from the Astra GTE, they have 256mm vented discs and ATE calipers with correct pads, not sure about which other cars came with them. This set is usually ?50. I have a pair of ATE calipers + pads for sale at the mo' ?25.

As for suspension, yes you will have to change the dampers, whats the point of buying new stiff springs if you have soggy dampers, which most likely have never been changed in 15 or so years! You can buy just springs but you really won't see what your car is cabable of until you purchase dampers too.

Gunzi

orange_andy
24-11-05, 12:30 PM
is it easy enuff to fit em or would i need a mecanic? is it easy enough to find em kicking about im pretty sure they are gonna be rare to get hold off ??

would it make much of a diff to just use new brake disks and keep the same pads ect ?

Gunzi
24-11-05, 12:41 PM
To fit springs you need spring compressors, I got mine for ?20 from a local motor factors.
Front per damper = 2x17mm bolts in the arch and 2x10mm bolts on the suspension turret IIRC. Then remopve damper with spring and compress springs. Remove top of damper to release spring you may need a swan neck spanner for this (17mm I think). Make sure spring is fully compressed b4 removing or it will take you head off - I'm serious
Rear 1x??mm bolt per damper (underneath car) then jack the back of the car up (not by the axle) and the springs will fall out!

Brakes you need a 10mm allen key and some sort of extension like a 10mm socket with a socket extension attached to get decent leverage.
Any brake upgrade is worth it compared to the std SR brakes (which are the same as the 1.0l brakes)

If you pay mechanic to do it then it'll cost you a fair bit 2-3 hours do do the suspension + 1 hour for the brakes. @ ?25 per hour = ?75-?100 fitting!

Sorry for long reply!

Gunzi

burgo
24-11-05, 01:55 PM
never use second hand disks and pads i got mine brand new for about ?40 and then got the calipers from the scrappy of a cavalier

as for the suspension you will notice the difference with just springs but i fitted a suspension kit to my mates nova and the way it handles is awesome, especially as i got the kit for ?50 from a scrappy

Philsutton
24-11-05, 02:15 PM
2x19mm bolts :D

orange_andy
24-11-05, 03:18 PM
where did you get them brand new for 40? from,,, do you feel a big diff in breaking ?

burgo
24-11-05, 03:21 PM
lol a big difference is one way of putting it and i got my disks and pads from an express auto parts

orange_andy
24-11-05, 03:38 PM
any contact num or any thing, if im gonna do it will i need brand new, DISC PADS AND CALIPERS ? you get all that for ?50 ?

Gunzi
24-11-05, 03:41 PM
Look in the yellow pages for you local motor factors. I doubt you'd get the lot new for ?50!

Stuart
24-11-05, 03:49 PM
or good ole ebay sometimes has new astra 256*24mm discs on there for a moderate price.

Or go to your local motorfactors and try for a cash non recipted deal ;)

SRlew
24-11-05, 05:25 PM
yer stripping some interior is a good start if you can bare it.

i put my rear seats back in today cause i like em (sometimes any way)
but now im going stripped but not sort of thing. iv stripped the boot panles and carpet, and am now about to take the rest of the front carpet out and the sound deadaning.

Aragorn
24-11-05, 07:19 PM
a perfect example of weight differences:

my brother has no rear seats and a pair of cobra monaco's, which probably save around 40kgs off the standard car weight

he has a few engine mods (exhaust, 4branch, GTE camshaft, decat) and its made 59bhp on the rollers at dastek which are reasonably reliable

hes ran an 18.7 1/4mile at pod in it which is quite reasonable for a 1.2i nova

he's also kept up with a local bloke in a 1.4sri, to the point that the boy actually wouldnt believe him that it was only a 1200i, the only differences were this other guy had his full interior and had the car kitted out with sounds (subs amp etc)

its not blisterinly fast by any means, but coupled with his coilovers, 16v brakes, and the important and often overlooked good TYRES, its still a lot more fun to drive than a standard 1.2i

out of interest anyone got 1.4mile figs for standardish 1.4sr's?

Riggy
24-11-05, 07:37 PM
any contact num or any thing, if im gonna do it will i need brand new, DISC PADS AND CALIPERS ? you get all that for ?50 ?

calipers from a scappers ?20 ish , make sure theyt arnt seized

discs and pads , just got to your local motorfactors and you will pay about ?40-50

Chris
25-11-05, 09:19 AM
out of interest anyone got 1.4mile figs for standardish 1.4sr's?

28 days????

Nova Full
25-11-05, 09:58 AM
Pads & Disks ?25.47 + delivery

https://sslrelay.com/buypartsby.co.uk/discs_details.php?recordID=7024

Gunzi
25-11-05, 10:54 AM
And Calipers for ?25 from me!
:)

orange_andy
25-11-05, 05:41 PM
are they good drilled and grooved ?

Jim
25-11-05, 09:05 PM
id still have speed (not alot less than others) but with the comfort and practicallity,

If you want comfort and practicality then get a mondeo or some other large family saloon.

Jim

Jon_nova1
26-11-05, 12:25 AM
If you want a box on wheels which is fast, can look tidy and has essentials...get a nova :)

come to think of it,. a nova won't be far of a mondeo, take off the electric windows, electric mirrors, power steering, selonoid boot, central locking and remove sound deadening, its like a bigger version of a nova, but more of a pain to work with :lol: