PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt?

Jon_nova1
21-11-05, 07:02 PM
I changed the cylinder head gasket, intake gasket, exhaust gasket, i took it for a drive before and it clicks all the time, not sure if it speeds up, but the clicking pitch gets higher and louder as the revs go higher, also the car performance is really bad, is it the timing belt that i didn't quite time right, how would i sort it, as i don't have timing equipment, is there a marker on the bottom pulley to line up too? :?

Adam
21-11-05, 07:27 PM
It could be a valve clipping a piston maybe.
Sounds like the timing is off.

The bottom sprocket has an arrow that should point down to the marker on the cam belt cover.
The crank pulley also has a marker.
Make sure that when the cam marker is aligned, the crank marker is also aligned.

Jon_nova1
21-11-05, 07:41 PM
Yer, i've just explained to someone, he reckons it could be the timing, but it won't be that far out, one tooth at the most, and he said it shouldn't clip the valves, has anyone had clipping valves when thier timings been out by one tooth? :lol:

Jon_nova1
21-11-05, 11:10 PM
i've been told the knocking could be pinking because the valves might be closing to early...what you all think? :?

Jon_nova1
22-11-05, 11:40 AM
I've got the timing sorted out, but it keeps knocking/making cxlicky funny noises, and theres now smoke coming out of the breather hose :(

Jon_nova1
23-11-05, 04:50 PM
I got it figured :D for anyone that has this problem......

One of my rockers had popped off, the clicky noise was the rocker hitting the underneath of the rocker cover :oops:

my engine would be nicely together now...but i lost three of the washer things in my engine that go between the valves and the rocker and its too dark to find them :(

Rob-16v
23-11-05, 04:56 PM
I got it figured :D for anyone that has this problem......

One of my rockers had popped off, the clicky noise was the rocker hitting the underneath of the rocker cover :oops:

my engine would be nicely together now...but i lost three of the washer things in my engine that go between the valves and the rocker and its too dark to find them :(

Iv seen a few rockers snaped on the 8v's, how much smoke is comin out the breather?

Jon_nova1
23-11-05, 05:04 PM
you couldn't see it when the bonnet was down, but when it was up you could see it clearly when you looked at it, it smelt bad as well, very noticable, there was one rocker popped of on the 1st piston, and the right hand rocker for piston one, the washer that goes between them wasn't on it anymore, it was in the cam housing