PDA

View Full Version : Batt guage on dash.

Adam
21-11-05, 06:35 PM
The needle on mine sits at halfway, where should it be?
Does anyone know what voltage half way is?
Im trying to check that my alternator is working 100%, the engines been turning over slower than normal over the last couple of mornings when its been freezing at night.

Riggy
21-11-05, 07:54 PM
lol not to sure what voltage it is , but start car and well running disconnect battery , if alt is working it will carry on running , then just turn all accesseries on eg lights, heaters, heated rear screen etc see if it dies under load

Adam
21-11-05, 07:57 PM
Lol, ok Carl.
I noticed that the alternator does get noisier with the headlights and heaters on.

Think i'll just get a multimeter across the battery terminals tomorrow, and see what it says.

:+:

Jon_nova1
21-11-05, 09:14 PM
i've got an astra digidash so don't know exactly where it is, but mine always sits in the middle, towards 3/4 when its running with nothing on ;)

Will F
22-11-05, 10:01 AM
Halfway is where it should be, and will drop a little when you have the heaters/lights on.

Adam
22-11-05, 04:09 PM
Halfway is where it should be, and will drop a little when you have the heaters/lights on.
Cool, yeah it goes just below the half way point with the heaters/lights on.

Checked the alternator today, and i have 14.2v with the engine running, and 12.5v when the engine is off.
So all seems fine, i will just have to left with the creeky alternator bearings :lol:

burgo
22-11-05, 04:12 PM
its perfectly normal for a battery to not perform aswell when its fecking cold