PDA

View Full Version : 1.4i Merit Start Problems

vneckjump
17-11-05, 06:25 AM
Just bought a 92 Nova 1.4i Merit. Its done 47000 miles and runs pretty good. However, the car has recently struggled to start in the morning, even after being garaged. Anyone know what the problem might be? I'm thinking of replacing the plugs.

orange_andy
17-11-05, 09:31 AM
if it hasnt been ran for a while then its like waking sleeping beuty, give her a good kiss lad, i take it that it doesnt have a carb and choke then? try just giving the car a good run around use some petrol aditive, (REDEX) just to clean any crap out of the pipes as its been stood

Aragorn
17-11-05, 12:16 PM
check dizzy cap and rest of ignition system for wear

Adam
17-11-05, 06:23 PM
What do you mean by struggles to start?

Wont fire?

Or turns over slowly etc?

vneckjump
20-11-05, 07:41 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. Yes, will not fire without a fair bit of gas pedal. I am finding that once it has fired and been run for a bit, it starts again fine, just struggling again the next morning.

bump
20-11-05, 10:46 PM
mine's always been like that, i call it a characteristic (sp??). i know that my lines filters and ht is all clean and it good working order and she still does it. i can't think of anything else tha ti t could be.

Riggy
20-11-05, 11:01 PM
could be a weak coil , thats all mine was started fine when warm just when cold it had no chance :lol:

bump
20-11-05, 11:03 PM
coil seems all ok. but i'll try another.

i just have to give her a bit of fuel and be ready with the choke.