PDA

View Full Version : dash bulbs

sickrabbit
16-11-05, 08:10 PM
peeps - thinkin of changing from the normal dash bulbs to blue leds....anyone know how many I,ll need for a basic 1.2 ?

cheers

Spudly
16-11-05, 08:14 PM
If you mean the ones in the clocks i think you need six as i want to do this too and as far as i can see there is jus six main illumination ones!!!

rudeboy69r
16-11-05, 09:51 PM
No theres onli 2 main ones if u want the dials blue.belive me iv dun it.
its a right pain in the arse tho getting the dials out! and do u no what bulbs they r????

bump
17-11-05, 01:33 AM
if your running the basic clock set ie no rev counfer then rudeboy69r is correct. they are 3 watt bulbs, can't remember exact fitting.

if you are running a sr/gte style clockset then there are 6 wedge type glass base bulbs standard ones are 1.2 vold but most have astra 2 volt in by now

ultraleds (http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/default.php?cPath=44&sort=2a&page=2) do them, the sr style are the 286 and the 286T bulbs

Jack
17-11-05, 08:17 PM
Dials aren't too hard to remove, not too sure about Mk1 but my Mk2 ones were a piece of piss.

These (http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=44&products_id=675&osCsid=eaa9c6121a535cc1906d31179a8c0a7a) are the best ones to get, from experience - for the std 1.2 dial set anyway (as above, the SR style dials use different bulbs).

Watch out with your heater usage as well, those ones do seem to have a habit of getting hot and melting...

Timmy
17-11-05, 10:30 PM
tlaking about dials i running simple speed only dash if i wanted to fit SR/GTE stlye ie with rev counter is it possable to fit and run all the other diale ie the voltage oil pressher ? and can i getnew wiring looms or is it a scrappy job ?

bump
17-11-05, 10:47 PM
the sr/sri dials wil drop staight in ie mk2 into a mk2.

the gte/gsi dials have a different plug IIRC it's colour for colour to wire one in.
you should already have the wiring in for the oil pressure sender. just need to get one off a mk2 astra from the scrappys and swap them over then your off on the gte/gsi front.

sickrabbit
18-11-05, 09:04 AM
Replacing the blown bulb was dead easy ...just a little costly at a tenner for 2 blue leds. I am however pleased with the results . Theres only one thing with my Nova thats really gettin my goat - the rear window heater . Damn thing , Ive changed the fuses , the main switch ( thanks just Novas ) and it still refuses to operate . I ,ve checked the thing for damage - none and lastly tried a meter on it for a current - theres none at the heating element- but theres live at the switch. I can only assume the wirings knackered somewhere hidden away in the body panels> has anyone else experienced this problem and how easy was it to correct? I fear its gonna be piggish and hard .

I could probably get away with not having the rear heater , but the cars in good nick , and at only 30k on the clock ,aiming to keep it as mint as poss.........

cheers.

sickrabbit
18-11-05, 05:50 PM
spoke to a man who knows a thing about tailgates and element heaters...apparently there are 2 motors notorious for this type of failure ...Fiesta - and bluddy novas !! Looks like the roof linings gotta come out and the wiring spliced near the tail gate . The moral of this story ....its caused by opening the boot too much !! I,m gonna weld the fecker shut - SORTED !!!!

bump
18-11-05, 06:17 PM
glad to hear that the bulb changing went well.

get a multimeter on the heater cables and do some continuity testing to work out which one it is. that'll be your best bet.

sickrabbit
18-11-05, 06:24 PM
Hope to do it in the morning mate , as soon as England has thawed !! It aint funny fiddlin with motors all of a sudden...COME BACK SUMMER ALL IS FORGIVEN !!

bump
18-11-05, 06:31 PM
it's still warm down here. been wondering about in a t shirt all day.

wouldn't fancy ripping a car to bits tho.

sickrabbit
18-11-05, 06:39 PM
Thats it - expect a fat lodger - I,m comin to live with you - lol !!
Its been bloomin freezing here , and its going to get colder apparently !!
Thank feck I,m a loyal Readybrekker .........AND NOT A NUDIST !!

bump
18-11-05, 06:48 PM
well it's certainly warm.
but cornwall does have it's downsides.
like trying to source anything not boat related :evil:

Adam
18-11-05, 08:34 PM

wouldn't fancy ripping a car to bits tho.
:o
I spent 20mins today getting ice/frost off my car :o
I dont think its been above 0 degrees all day.

Riggy
18-11-05, 09:09 PM
lol its been -5 here all day :o

as for the heated rear window , it plugs it to a seperate loom that goes up the rear piller , just check this isnt loose aswell

Jack
19-11-05, 12:05 AM
lol I have been as well, but its cold here :lol:

sickrabbit
19-11-05, 12:14 PM
lol its been -5 here all day :o

as for the heated rear window , it plugs it to a seperate loom that goes up the rear piller , just check this isnt loose aswell
will do mate ...cheers.

sickrabbit
19-11-05, 10:59 PM
checked all with the help of my brainy kid brother...he,s a wizard on electrics of all sorts ...we reckon its gotta be the relay to this problem , so as soon as mondays here of to ma deala - innit ?

Anyone else had to replace a relay ...and if so was it costly..?
cheers.

bump
20-11-05, 12:48 PM
not had to replace one on the nova yet bot for the orion it was pennys, about 80 odd IIRC.

off topic ish. does anyone know if the headlamp buzzer is a special relay? as mine appears to be missing from the relay board????

sickrabbit
21-11-05, 12:16 PM
Got a shock on the price of a heater relay direct from vauxhall - ?44 !!
Thank god for Just Novas on 01159461105 - direct from them ?7 !!
A lesson to be learned .

Keep this number handy peeps .