PDA

View Full Version : running on 4 then 3 then 4 then 3 cylinders n flames...eeeek

RobWeaver
11-11-05, 09:44 PM
rite peeps i changed the starter motor and the nova turns over...but its dark and there are some faint sparks from the coil...hmmmm some dampstart cured it, but its running on 4 cylinders then 3 when i drive it :( i THINK this is normal but im not sure? it pops and chucks a flame out when i try enthusiastically accelerating tonite.

This sound relatively normal? think its a bit of damp in or round the coil and/or leads...but was after some techy feedback as i not had a wet one b4...coil etc that is, but think theyre the rite syptoms and it was raining with bonnet oop

RobWeaver
11-11-05, 10:32 PM
ahem...guess im asking stoopid questions lol

bump
11-11-05, 10:40 PM
i woudn't say that's normat at all. if it's running on 4 then 3 i'd suspect dizzy cap, spark leads.

what engine is it?

RobWeaver
11-11-05, 10:43 PM
its c20xe...but had bin working on getting starter motor and new earth for battery in the rain so at first it would not start...then i tried some wd40 on coil and it purred into life, it runs ok unless u give it some beans and it runs on 3...or if u try to accelerate in general

Stoo
12-11-05, 11:57 AM
Your coils fucked!

RobWeaver
12-11-05, 12:00 PM
its the coil is it?? thought it may be...eeeek time to go hunting the garage then for spares :( I am changing plugs anyways as i got a spare brand new set of quad electrode thingys...so that explains the running on 3 now and then? and the flames when it backfired now and then? sounds about rite...gonna miss flaming lol but will have a healthy xe again :D

Stoo
12-11-05, 12:13 PM
U have all the luck!

U nicked my motor cos i had all these probs!!

Yeah change ur coil and while ur at it might as well get new dizzy rotor arm and leads too

Try and get at least 8.5mm leads youll notice a huge difference!!

Healthy ignition promotes better running and youll lose power without it!!

RobWeaver
12-11-05, 12:19 PM
i nicked ur motor? howd u mean? starter motor from scunny??

Stoo
12-11-05, 12:23 PM
im joking lol!

I mean i had the same problems your experiencing!!

Starter motor, ICV, Coil etc!!

So i thought u might have got mine lol!!

Think about it lad!!

RobWeaver
12-11-05, 12:28 PM
aha!!! gotcha :) i thought that u lived near by thats all :) well im all sorted to go to town and sort stuff out at work...then its time to go to the motorfactors :( eeeek then come home n hunt for a coil...would get a new one but feel theyd be dear

Stoo
12-11-05, 12:34 PM
I got one out of an abandondend 8v Cav SRi

Free!!! :D

Just had to rip all the plastic shit off the top of it to make it fit!

You sellin those speedies by the way??

RobWeaver
12-11-05, 12:36 PM
hmmmm my mind is undecided on the speedies....if i can get the other set of rims i like and sort the centre section as its v low i mite